What is a Bass Shaker?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by PeterK, Jan 22, 2004.

1. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

I know that it obviously make a very loud bass sound but What acutally is it?

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    A bass shaker doesn't make loud bass. It's like a vibrator that you attach to your sofa that rumbles along with your sound system.

3. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Yeah, it's like a speaker but not a speaker at all. It vibrates a metal diaphram just like a speaker, but the front is solid metal or such and not a paper diaphram. So it transfers sound waves as vibrations that are felt instead of heard. So you wire this thing up to an amp and connect it with your LFE (sub) signal, and everything the sub goes off the bass shaker, well, shakes your little bass off [​IMG] You 'feel' the LFE in your toucas on the couch.

4. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

In the simplest of terms, a bass shaker is a device that transforms acoustic energy (bass) into tactile energy.

5. Ronneil Camara

Ronneil Camara Stunt Coordinator

How much is one piece of this?

6. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

It depends on which tactile tranducer you choose. The Aura 'Bass Shakers' sell for ~$20 for the standard version for up to $50-$70 for the Pro version. You might even be able to get them cheaper than that off E-bay.

7. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

and the ultimate question for us noobs is: how does one connect a bass shaker to their couch? I've never seen one but I like the idea and I am really considering adding this to my HT!

8. George B.

George B. Auditioning

I am a newbie and have a Denon 1804 driving Bose AM-10 sets of speakers and subs.

I want to install a bass shaker and don't have a clue how to connect it to the 1804 with already 2 subs...Will upgrade later on to some Paradigm speakers and a single sub.

Where does these bass shakers connect in a 2 sub config that I have currently, and with a single sub in the near future?

In one of my searches, they indicate that these bass shaker can be powered by an old receiver or old power amp. How does these bass shaker get the signal if it is not in any way, connected to the Denon 1804?

Thanks for any advise.

9. JunoVazquez

JunoVazquez Stunt Coordinator

I think it'll be conected this way:

Denon's LFE output => input to left and/or right channel of old receiver=> terminals of the bass shakers.

The shakers will need be screwed on to the solid frame of the couch/recliner.

10. keoni

keoni Agent

So you cant have both a sub and bass shakers if you have only one LFE? If I have a sub hooked up to a plain jane reciever, how do I hook up both to the same reciever?

11. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

I have the same problem. No bass out, because all my speakers are wired to the bass there is only one port to connect to the bass to the receiver. No bass out!

12. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

You can have shakers and subs running off the LFE by using a Y-adapter, a.k.a. splitter.

13. keoni

keoni Agent

"You can have shakers and subs running off the LFE by using a Y-adapter, a.k.a. splitter. "

So just so I have this right. I have a splitter from the LFE output with one going to the sub and the other branching off to an extra recievers input (dvd port etc) I turn that reciever to the DVD setting and run the speaker wire out from that reciever to the bass shakers. What is a good cheap reciver to use for this?

14. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

Yup, that's right. Not sure, but anything that can handle at least a 4 Ohm load with decent power would be good. I'm using a Yamaha 2092 which is overkill but it's what I have on hand. I will probably purchase a cheap sub $100 2 ch receiver and move the 2092 to another system.

15. JasonMA

JasonMA Stunt Coordinator

Does splitting the signal in any way degrade the signal going to the sub? I've been looking into bass shakers also, but this has been something that's been nagging me for a while. Also, when purchasing bass shakers, if you only have one couch, does it make sense to get only 1 shaker? Or should I get 2 and put them both in the same couch? And if I do so, how do I wire them if the amp that's powering the shakers is only accepting one input from the LFE.

16. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

With a decent quality splitter you do not need to worry about signal degredation.

For a couch I would get one shaker per seat to distribute the shaking more evenly. I have 3 in my 3 seat couch and another 3 for whatever couch ends up in my front row.

17. keoni

keoni Agent

So does it matter what wattage the reciever is or can you just increase the volume on the reciever until you find an optimum level? I am guessing if the reciever is 8 ohm and the requirement for the baseshakers is 4 ohm I can run them in series to increase the impedance to 8 thus allowing me to use my 8 ohm reciever. Other wise I would need a 4ohm reciever or amp correct? Sorry for the questions, I am a newbie but this sounds like something I may do.

18. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

Bass shakers are a great addition to any HT,but they do require their on amp(power supply).Mine are hooked up as follows.
    The LFE signal from my main reciever is split,using a Y adaptor,one running to my sub,the other run to an old sony reciever I had laying around.One channel(I believe the right channel)is run into my bass shakers,which are hooked up in series,4+4 ,making it an 8ohm load.Aura pro's come with directions on how to do this(its very easy).Aura pro's require,I believe 50 watts max,so power is low.I think the standard Aura's are 25 watt.
    Bass shakers of any brand are adjusted by feel,not by sound(db's),as there is no sound.The look on you're friends faces the first time they experience them is well worth the time and effort to hook them up.

19. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

I'm actually powering my Aura Pro's using the 6th and 7th channel on my HK 525, using the splitter.

20. David Ryan

David Ryan Extra

Heres another idea. My system is hooked up as follows.

I have one outlet for my LFE (Subwoofer) on my Reciever. Its connected by a Y adapter to the L and R RCA's on my first SUBs amplifier. Then I have a L and R RCA coming out of the first SUBs Amp to a seperate Amplifer for the Bass Shakers. I then have another L and R RCA cable going into my second Sub from the Amp that powers the shakers. I hooked all this up with good cables because I am afraid of signal loss. It works fine. Only one problem.... The pictures dont seem to stay on the walls. I am lucky enough to have 2 Amplifiers with both signal input and signal output on them.

David Ryan[​IMG]