What's new

What irritates you about DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Eric Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
"Havent seen this one mentioned yet but it really annoys me.

Your watching a dvd havin a few beers next thing you know its 5:00 AM and your dvd player is playing the menu music over and over and over with the volume still cranked up. Its even worse when you are listening to a commentary and have the volume cranked up even louder than normal.

Why do dvd's have to return to the menu after they have played through? Or why cant the menu's trigger the 'pause screen saver' after a certain length of inactivity?"

I fell asleep toward the end of "Resident Evil" and woke up in the middle of the night to the menu music on that DVD. Let's just say that it really creeped me out.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
the lack of a long dvd lifespan. my vhs tapes are prooving to outlast my dvds. the quality control sucks. Im amazed at how this problem is not being talked about by leaders.

Lanny_B

Second Unit
  • When you can't switch subtitles on and off with your "subtitle" button.
  • DVD's without subtitles at all.
  • Menus that give away parts of the movie. This drives me crazy. Meet the parents comes to mind, as it shows the punchlines to the funny parts all through the menus, and spoils the impact.
Other standard things:
  • Snapper Cases
  • Anything they won't let me push "next" on when I first put in the DVD.
  • Pan&Scan DVD's - being the only option for rental or sale.

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
Although I agree with most of the gripes so far my biggest gripe is the picture quality problem. I just wish they could do more restoration on a lot of the older films. I know a lot of the films that have been released so far (especially the early releases) will be rereleased hopefully with restored prints (like the new WB stuff Amadeus, Cuckoo's Nest etc) and I'll be buying them again. It's got to a point where I mainly buy new films unless I know that an older film has been done well.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
My biggest complaint is special features you that you have to watch by clicking when the icon pops up during the movie (i.e. Follow the White Rabbit). I can't watch and enjoy the movie because I'm constantly watching for the icon. Why should I have to watch the movie again when I just want to check out special features?

Next I would have to say any movie that disables keys on my remote. Many have mentioned the subtitle button or audio button being disabled. On Die Hard, they've even disabled the bookmark feature.

The other problems are minor enough that I can live with them. If I could fix these two, I'd be very happy.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Something that irritates me is when they do a transfer onto a disk with space on the disk left over still. If done well/properly, there should be no space left because any extra space should be allocated to providing better video.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Noticable layer changes ("Deer Hunter" has an absolutely seamless layer change with NO pause at all, so it can be done!)
Any stupid interactive menu crap I have to go through before I can start the movie.
"Special Features" that run longer than the movie itself (and are comprised mostly of clips from the movie!)

Joe McKeown

Stunt Coordinator
I know these have been said before but...
1. YES, I want to listen to the DTS track, after I select it. Don't ask me if I'm sure. What this makes me doubt is if I want to actually play the movie.
2. Don't lock up my remote's buttons. If I select skip it's because your content is lame, or has lost it's shine -- don't piss me off.
3. Don't play trailers unless I ask for them, and don't forget point number 2.
4. Don't hard-default audio to 2.0 on a disk that contains 5.1. I know there are good reasons for this but let the people without DD decoders worry about it.
And a new one for the benefit of the unwashed heathens...
5. Give J6P full frame ONLY via on-the-fly Pan and scan (which I damn well better be able to disable on my player.) This annoys me when I go into stores, and see a title I forgot to preorder, which is only stocked in "Foul Frame"

Corey * C

Grip
Flippers and Snappers need to go.

Also,it bugs me when commentary/interview footage present on the disc mentions material that the viewer cannot see because it's not included on the disc (i.e. deleted scenes).

Finally, what's with the crazy obsession manufacturers/stores seem to have with security tags and wrapping? As mentioned previosly in this thread, it sometimes take ten, twenty minutes to open a package I bought! Often this "procedure" requires the delicate hands of a surgeon and the patience of a...well...something patient. Needless to say I possess neither.

Did I say finally? One last gripe: I've had to invest in "Glue-Gone" after terrible experiences with "The Godfather" and "ST:TNG" Sets (from Best Buy), among others.

Dave S.G.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
I've seen at least one mention of the pre-movie warning about the film's MPAA rating and how it is unskippable. It's not my biggest peev (most have been touched on here more than once) but I had a funny experience involving the MPAA thing last night...
So I've been suffering insomnia lately and I thought I'd put something on I don't watch often. It opens with:
RATED PG
For Sci-Fi Action
The joke is that this movie was STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE, probably the most boring moviesI've ever liked. I know it's a director's cut, but I still haven't noticed any action.? Do I have the wrong version????:confused: :laugh: :confused:

Shaun

Second Unit
Other than the many listed here, I have a couple of peeves.

-Trailers that are only available as DVD-ROM Content.

-Studios that refuse to release special editions of movies because they flop at the box office. You can pretty much tell what kind of DVD you're going to get based on how successful the movie is in theaters!

-Multiple re-releases.

-Columbia/TriStar and their sudden lack of DTS support, now only exclusive to Superbit titles.(Black Hawk Down, Spider-Man, XXX, Men in Black II, etc.)

-Slow menu navigation.

-Player/disc incompatibility issues.

I can't think of anymore yet.

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
While I'm in complete agreement with most of the peeves already posted in this thread, the following one is at the top of my personal list:

Noticable layer changes ("Deer Hunter" has an absolutely seamless layer change with NO pause at all, so it can be done!)
Absolutely! BTW all the Superbit titles seem to be seamless on the layer changes as well (at least on my player). Hopefully, the layer change will not be an issue with whatever HD-DVD format eventually gets released.

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
One other peeve that seems to strike a particular chord with me (and probably will make me the ire of some other members despite this being just my personal opionion rather than a mandate), is the inclusion of a DTS track solely for the point of being able to market the DVD as including DTS.

I applauded Bob Gale for stating that DTS was dropped from the BTTF trilogy after they tested it in comparison to the DD and really found no difference. Plus, in leaving it out they were able to make room for improved video quality and/or extras. I sincerely wish more studios would adopt this type of policy or that we could go back to the days when an entirely seperate DTS release was available for those so inclined.

Joe McKeown

Stunt Coordinator
Another MAJOR gripe, that I havn't seen yet. (although technically it is not a problem with DVD per se.
Studios that are too cowardly to release unrated cuts of movies because pits like Blockbuster, and Walmart will refuse to carry them.
:angry: :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks