What's new

What irritates you about DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator
I'll ad my voice in and agree with all the aforementioned items and one no one has brought up yet:
*The DVD Box/DVD disc menu mentions DVD ROM features, you put it in your DVD ROM player only to find out the "feature" is just a crappy web link and NOTHING else!
Why make a big deal of the DVD having a ROM feature if it's just a web link? :angry: :angry:
*Also if the disc DOES have actual DVD ROM features, why not make them accessable to the non-DVD ROM owning person?

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
Harry Potter's extra section. DVD hell!
I haven't seen that. What's wrong with it? (I'm a UI designer looking to branch out into multimedia authoring, and I like seeing examples of what not to do. If your description really piques my curiosity, I might even rent this disc. ;) )

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Hi,

another one:

2 disc cardboard (digipak) sets (i.e. Jerry Maguire) that have the security sticker under the see-through plastic thingamajig that holds the DVDs, thereby not only messing up the inside cover art but also being impossible to remove.

Chris

Eric Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't seen that. What's wrong with it? (I'm a UI designer looking to branch out into multimedia authoring, and I like seeing examples of what not to do. If your description really piques my curiosity, I might even rent this disc.
The extras are only accessibly after essentially playing games to unlock them. It's intended for children but is absolutely infuriating for anyone who simply wants to get to the extras.

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
Never mind about describing the Harry Potter extras. I just saw a description on dvdfile.com. Holy $#/%!

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I sat with my friend's copy of Memento SE and it helped me feel really good about not having purchased it. What a stupid, fricken way to present special edition content. C'mon, guys!

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
The thing that pisses me off the most is that I'm forced to see a screen with the movie's rating. Like I give a shit what it's rated.

There is no point to it.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
There is no point to it.
Unless you have children who borrowed or rented* the DVD (or you rented it in a hurry and didn't look at the box closely, not smart but it happens) and don't know what the content and/or rating of the film is, then there is a point to it.
*Renting R rated films to kids happens a lot more than rental stores like to admit.

Jerry AZ

Stunt Coordinator
Joe Six Pack's version of irritating DVD features:
Discs that are round
Discs that have a hole in the middle
Discs that are thin
Discs that require a laser beam to play back
Discs that look like CDs
You forgot another one.
-you have to hold down the Rewind button to rewind the movie after its over :D

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I think this may go to the sound and picture quality. But, I hate it when studios put out a dvd just to put it out, they do nothing to enhance the picture or sound, but give us a bare bones edition with PQ the same or just above VHS...That pisses me off...If you are going to put a movie on DVD, damn it do it right!

R~

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Here's one that I think was already mentioned above but I will name a specific guilty studio.
I HATE how Paramount has the gall to release bare bones DVD's at the same market price ($24.99 to $29.99) as most SE discs from other studios. Greedy Bastards might be an overkill statement but....

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Havent seen this one mentioned yet but it really annoys me.

Your watching a dvd havin a few beers next thing you know its 5:00 AM and your dvd player is playing the menu music over and over and over with the volume still cranked up. Its even worse when you are listening to a commentary and have the volume cranked up even louder than normal.

Why do dvd's have to return to the menu after they have played through? Or why cant the menu's trigger the 'pause screen saver' after a certain length of inactivity?

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
After 2nd thought this one is quite irritating as well.
Crouching Tiger comes to mind & it drives me crazy.
I'll take static menus as well.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
These are minor problems for me easter eggs(I don't want to play games keep it simple) dvd rom features(I want to view everything on my HT not on my computer)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks