What irritates you about DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by RaulR, Sep 14, 2002.

1. RaulR

RaulR Stunt Coordinator

I'm not talking about bad sound or video quality, lack of extras, missing footage, MAR, or any of that stuff. It's a more general question about what never fails to irk you about some DVDs, even though they're not enough to stop you from buying those discs. Here's my list, just off the top of my head:

- Trailers at the beginning, even if they're skippable.

- Fancy animated menus that take forever to settle down and let you select something. (I love the static menus on Criterion discs.)

- Trailers for other, unrelated films. Especially if they're advertised as special features.

- Bizarre menu interfaces, like the one for Dracula (1931): The top level of the menu gives you a choice between the English and Spanish versions, then locks you into the version you selected. To see the options for the other version, you have to eject the disc and load it again.

- Easter eggs. They were cool the first couple of times. Now I just think, "Just put the $#%[email protected] extra in the menu!" It's especially annoying when you have to jump through hoops to find the hidden "feature" and it turns out to be something lame, like the sound clips on "Pink Floyd The Wall."

That's all I can think of for now.

2. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I hate trailers that play without having been selected from the menu.

I also dislike verly elaborate animated menus (like "The Abyss") and confusing menus (Warner is particularly bad about giving certain menu options cryptic names). For the record, my favorite DVD menu is "A Bug's Life" Collector's Edition. Simple and elegant. There's just a touch of subtle background animation and ambient music. Just perfect, in my opinion. Also, kudos to Disney for giving us an option for a simple, straightforward menu on some of their recent releases ("Atlantis" CE and "Snow White," for example).

Foreign-language films, Japanese animation in particular, has a long history of bad treatment on DVD. I really hate when a dub track is the default audio, and also when the video master used is from the dub, so the credits and titles and whatnot are from the dubbed version.

Easter Eggs I can deal with in most cases, but in general, I'd just like to be able to access things from the menu without having to play any fancy games.

3. Nick Pudar

Nick Pudar Agent

1. When there are only two things to choose from on a menu (such as choosing between DTS or DD), when the highlighting of the selection is not obvious.

2. DVDs without English subtitles.

3. Forced looking at anything before the main menu.

Nick

4. Declan

Declan Second Unit

I thought the Abyss menu was groundbreaking as it DID put you into the movie enviornment. It's simple to use and just has the right feel to it. Yes some menu's go waaaaaaay over the top but this one had the balance between showing off and practicality.

5. Steve Russell

Steve Russell Stunt Coordinator

I find it irritating that no two companies can put the audio choices(mono/2.0/5.1 etc...) in the same part of the menu and I sometimes have to hunt for it. Some put it under the setup header, some put it under languages, still others put it under the audio header(where it belongs). I also hate that some 5.1 discs default to 2.0.

6. Dan Kaplan

Dan Kaplan Stunt Coordinator

How about studio intros (MGM appears to be the worst culprit) that play much louder than the menu or the movie itself? That was always the case with VHS, too, but at least it didn't have the dynamic range to make you jump out of your seat with an unexpected 10 dB boost...
    Snapper cases, but that's the topic of another thread. [​IMG]
    Multiple releases with no, or little, difference in video or audio quality.
    Incredibly mundane promotional featurettes. I already finished watching the movie, you don't have to sell me on it!! Special feature my a...
    Layer change pauses. I spent a long time searching for a DVD player that didn't, among other things, suffer from lengthy pauses about an hour and 20 minutes into most movies, only to finally discover that's normal (I hadn't found this place yet, and even Circuit City salesmen claimed to not know what I was describing).
    The disposable nature of the media and players. I understand backward compatibility with audio CDs was a concern, but the longevity of the digital medium is greatly limited by the ease of damage. Rental discs appear to be unplayable on many entry level machines after only a few weeks of irresponsible use. I hate to think what they'll be like in a few years...
    Dan

7. Todd Phillips

Todd Phillips Second Unit

8. Scott Varney

Scott Varney Agent

My list:
    1. Animated menus that take too much time to navigate.
    2. FBI warnings that disable the chapter forward button.
    3. On Universal discs, audio not switchable during the feature.
    4. EPK's being passed off as behind the scenes features.
    5. Lack of the trailer (this does has historic significance to the film).
    6. Menus with unclear selections.
    7. Easter eggs.
    8. Snapper cases.
    9. On a few two disc sets, special features as a menu option on disc one only to lead to a screen saying "Special features on disc 2".
    All I can really think of now.

9. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Animated Menus.
    Lack of Trailers.
    Lack of Widescreen Option.

10. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

I realize this next one is for people without DTS decoders in their systems, but I HATE it when...
    I choose a DTS option and it brings up another screen asking if I'm sure I really want to be doing this! [​IMG] Yes, I'm sure! I just picked it didn't I!?
    Also, as mentioned above...I HATE it when I can't switch audio tracks on-the-fly.

11. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    I very much hate Menus that have stupid animations that take 10+ seconds to complete.
    Although not really a fault of the format, I don't like it when people get DVD's confused with CD's. It's annoying. And to make it even more confusing is when I give people VideoCD's [​IMG]
    I don't really like it when they substitute good video/audio for some stupid extra's that I'll maybe watch once.

12. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

Let see, some ones I hate.

1. FBI/Studio Logo/Parent Rating : Yes, I think after a million times, we know not to broadcast this in public or who mades this movie. And with exception of used DVDs with no box, THE PARENT RATING ALREADY!

2. Skip to the Movie : Just a something that is bad if you put the DVD into the player and go to get something while the menu is running it would skip to the movie instead of refreshing.

3. Forced Trailers : Enough said

4. No widescreen or OAR : Why bother watching a movie where half of it is been turned into cardboard?

5. Useless Extras : Lame EPK stuff, full color art, crappy booklet.

Now that feels better.

13. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

14. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

DVDs that don't allow you to change audio tracks in-movie (a lot of BV discs are guilty of this), burnt-in subtitles, and foreign DVDs of English-language films that don't allow you to listen to the original English audio track without player-generated foreign language subtitles (I have several French DVDs that do this, there are ways around it on some players but not on mine).

15. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I second just about everything in this thread! I remember getting very frustrated the first 3 TIMES I screwed up the audio selection on The Abyss because I couldn't tell which color was the one I chose in the audio set-up!
    I felt like I was de-fusing a bomb and I was afraid I was going to cut the wrong colored wire! One wrong decision and BAM! Dolby Surround instead of DD.

16. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Paramounts lack of interest in special editions.

17. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

The single most annoying thing for me is the unnecessary delay between selecting "Play Movie", and the movie actually beginning. Usually it's a lot quicker just to go into the chapters menus and select the first one.

18. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

19. Dan Kaplan

Dan Kaplan Stunt Coordinator

I went through half a dozen players (no exaggeration) before settling on one I was happy with, and there was a wide range in the respective convenience of changing audio settings from the remote. Some were quite easy, others made the above complained about animated menus seem like a walk in the park. It didn't help that many discs wouldn't let me toggle between all the available audio options from the remote. I got to the point where I no longer even thought about that as a viable option...
    Dan

20. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Actually, the last time I even watched my 'Abyss' dvd, I owned the Panasonic A-110 and it didn't have an Audio button on the remote. The only way to switch audio tracks on the fly was to bring up the players on-screen menu, scroll accross to the audio portion and then select the desired track.
    It was a pain in the ass to do this, so I have gotten quite used to doing it from the dvd's menu without even thinking about it. In fact, I don't even use the Audio button on my new Sony player even though it has one! [​IMG] It's a habit I have to develope I guess.