What's new

What instrument do you play and how did it affect your choice in speaker? (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I play electric and acoustic guitar, but I also play jam with friends who play various instruments. When I started playing it was electric all the way, hard-rock, grunge rock style. That was in the early 90's. Now I'm more acoustic guitar oriented, folk-rock, singer songwriter type stuff. Though I do still enjoy busting out my Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and old Faith No More.

I guess I would say I like accuracy in my speakers. Since I know what it is like to play with other instruments, all of whom have various needs (i.e. when I play guitar I really need to hear my friend's bass and drums), I like to strive for accuracy in music reproduction. I ended up buying MB Quart QLS-1030s to replace my old Energy C6s (which are now the bedroom set). The Energys were "laid back" or "mellow" and I liked them fine for 5 years. But when I heard the MB Quarts I had to upgrade. Not that they were lively, or bright, or forward. Just that when I listened they seemed to bring out the various instruments a little better in my favorite recordings. That's the only way I can really explain what I heard. It wasn't night-n-day difference, but my dealer was also giving me a killer deal on the 1030s, one I couldn't pass up.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I play electric and acoustic guitar, but I also play jam with friends who play various instruments. When I started playing it was electric all the way, hard-rock, grunge rock style. That was in the early 90's. Now I'm more acoustic guitar oriented, folk-rock, singer songwriter type stuff. Though I do still enjoy busting out my Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and old Faith No More.

I guess I would say I like accuracy in my speakers. Since I know what it is like to play with other instruments, all of whom have various needs (i.e. when I play guitar I really need to hear my friend's bass and drums), I like to strive for accuracy in music reproduction. I ended up buying MB Quart QLS-1030s to replace my old Energy C6s (which are now the bedroom set). The Energys were "laid back" or "mellow" and I liked them fine for 5 years. But when I heard the MB Quarts I had to upgrade. Not that they were lively, or bright, or forward. Just that when I listened they seemed to bring out the various instruments a little better in my favorite recordings. That's the only way I can really explain what I heard. It wasn't night-n-day difference, but my dealer was also giving me a killer deal on the 1030s, one I couldn't pass up.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
- Piano (Concert 10' Grand in SF to honky-tonk type - depending on the gig / I have 6' Yamaha Grand),
- Keyboard (Fender Rhodes Electric Piano - loved the Bob James/Joe Sample sounds),
- Acoustic (Alvarez* Classical which I own) & Electric Guitar,
- Electric and upright bass (borrowed from a friend for a few gigs) when my brother played the Piano/Keyboard and
- Drums when my wife required a break (Ludwig 6-piece red pearl set w/Zilgin cymbals - sold when my #1 son was born)

We played semi-professionally for approx. 3-years+ (1974-1977 for family & friends), during which time I wrote about 4 songs (1 for Classical Guitar), played one of the jazz Piano tunes in a cruise ship, and arranged all the contemporary / jazz music. I mastered Mason Williams *Classical Gas after he released his "Hand Made" record album (solo rendition) and played that song in a couple of gigs. Notable gig locations - San Francisco California Country Club, SF Masonic Temple (by the SF Zoo), Santa Cruz Jazz Club (by the beach) and the Saratoga Country Club. All the above happened while I worked full-time @ Memorex, TestData and KLA Instruments!

Speaker of choice was the JBL N- & S-Series (based on their Pro Studio LSR Monitors).

Phil

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
- Piano (Concert 10' Grand in SF to honky-tonk type - depending on the gig / I have 6' Yamaha Grand),
- Keyboard (Fender Rhodes Electric Piano - loved the Bob James/Joe Sample sounds),
- Acoustic (Alvarez* Classical which I own) & Electric Guitar,
- Electric and upright bass (borrowed from a friend for a few gigs) when my brother played the Piano/Keyboard and
- Drums when my wife required a break (Ludwig 6-piece red pearl set w/Zilgin cymbals - sold when my #1 son was born)

We played semi-professionally for approx. 3-years+ (1974-1977 for family & friends), during which time I wrote about 4 songs (1 for Classical Guitar), played one of the jazz Piano tunes in a cruise ship, and arranged all the contemporary / jazz music. I mastered Mason Williams *Classical Gas after he released his "Hand Made" record album (solo rendition) and played that song in a couple of gigs. Notable gig locations - San Francisco California Country Club, SF Masonic Temple (by the SF Zoo), Santa Cruz Jazz Club (by the beach) and the Saratoga Country Club. All the above happened while I worked full-time @ Memorex, TestData and KLA Instruments!

Speaker of choice was the JBL N- & S-Series (based on their Pro Studio LSR Monitors).

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks