what Ingmar Bergmans are available?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MartinTeller, Nov 17, 2003.

1. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

Feb 26, 2002
    Since I now apparently have a region-free player (haven't had a chance to test it out yet) I'd like to maybe pick up some Ingmar Bergman titles that aren't released/announced for region 1. What's out there? English subtitles are a must.

And another question... what's the deal with PAL speedup? Am I to understand that Europeans watch everything 4% faster than it was filmed? If so, why on earth would they do that to themselves?
  2. andrew markworthy

Sep 30, 1999
    To deal with the PAL speedup issue first:

(a) the vast majority of people don't even notice the speedup since everything is relative.

(b) those that do nearly always habituate.

PAL speedup has been something of a fetish since watching PAL stuff became feasible in other regions. Let's put it this way - people have been happily watching movies on Brit TV for years without even being aware of speedup. In other words, it's no big deal. And in any case, the PAL picture quality is marginally better, so it's a swings and roundabout situation.

Now onto the important info. There are a lot of Bergman movies out in R2 on the Tartan label (all with subtitles), and looking at their DVD menus, it looks as if yet more are on their way (including a lot of Bergman's early works). This is as complete a list as I can find of what is currently available:

Autumn Sonata
    Cries and Whispers
    Fanny and Alexander (the TV version, which is of course longer than the cinema version - also, on the BFI label, not Tartan)
    From the Life of Marionettes
    Persona (the original uncut version and with new and rather more explicit subtitles)
    Smiles on a Summer Night
    Summer with Monica
    The Magician
    The Serpent's Egg (again, not Tartan, but can't recall the distributor)
    The Seventh Seal
    The Silence
    The Virgin Spring
    The Winter Light
    Through a Glass Darkly
    To Joy
    Wild Strawberries

I would personally recommend the Criterion versions where they are available, but the Tartan ones are generally of good quality, with some informative notes.
  3. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

Mar 30, 2000
    Tartan has also released the theatrical version of Scenes from a Marriage.

Serpent's Egg is from Castle Home Video. It'll be released early next year by MGM as a special edition, along with Persona, Shame, The Passion of Anna and The Hour of the Wolf.

Small correction on Fanny and Alexander -- it was released by Artificial Eye, not bfi.
  4. RobD

RobD Second Unit

Jan 21, 2003

Dont have the extras of the Criterions but the transfers are as good and Tartan releases are cheaper.