What in blazes is Paramount doing??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Berger, May 20, 2002.

1. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I just found out from a friend in London that Paramount is already releasing "Enterprise" on VHS and that the entire series of "ST: Next Generation" is already available in R2 DVD!
    "Star Trek" is part of Americana. They are arguably the most identified and watched series in television history. Why in Hades is Paramount selling these series in England but NOT in the U.S. where I'm sure the market is much bigger?
    I'm particularly irritated with their recent releases of "Enterprise" because that too is shown on UK television over Sky One. So, not having it available in the UK can't be an excuse.
    Is anyone from Paramount on this board? What is going on with this? It almost makes me want to return the R1 DVD player that I bought in order to get a region free player! [​IMG]

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Of course you know the answer with R1 Enterprise...sydication rights. Maybe they'll see the demand and be the first to break the mold? [​IMG]

3. David Allum

David Allum Stunt Coordinator

4. John_Berger

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I am surprised with the way dvd tv sales are going. That the studios are not adjusting syndication deals to allow for a show to be released on dvd/vhs.

6. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

David Allum is right. I've only seen Season 1 released here so far in the same kind of box. However, the color was different, while R1 has a red box, I think, the one I saw was purple. Go figure.
    [​IMG]

7. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

8. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Todd S quote

I am surprised with the way dvd tv sales are going. That the studios are not adjusting syndication deals to allow for a show to be released on dvd/vhs.

Again another sign of how the consumer demand is out weighed by the studio's need for revenue.

If the series were to already come out DVD, there would be a great loss of future sales for syndication. As it is, I believe that you still have to get to the magic number of 100 shows in order to get syndicated, unless you of course you want your series to go to the USA network where you can have a series containing ten shows run for three years.

With the millions invested in syndicating shows, DVD's will continue to be pushed back till they can make the money that they, the studio's, crave.

9. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

10. John_Berger

I'll buy that (no pun intended) to a certain extent. However, I think that the majority of people, particularly Trek fans like myself, are not going to stop watching the syndicated shows just because we own the DVDs or VHS tapes.

11. John_Berger

12. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

What I meant is that. I cannot see by releasing a show on dvd that syndication ratings will drop that much. Their will always be people who will never buy a show when they can watch it for free. And their will always be people who WILL buy a show even if they can watch it for free daily.

13. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

What the studios are worried about is not so much ratings as perceived value. The numbers studios get for third-run television are really mind-boggling, especially on the top tier (I seem to recall TNT or TBS something in the several-hundred-million range for "Seinfeld", starting in 2004). Part of this - and, really, most television distribution deals - is predicated on having exclusive access to the show.

It's also a question of demographics. Sure, those box sets may only shave a tenth of a share off the ratings. But, the kicker is, the person who buys those boxes is the person a local station or cable network most wants to deliver their advertisers - the people with the disposable income to spend $100 on a TV show. So while the overall ratings aren't affected much, those 18-42 males who make >$50K/year are.

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Actually, syndication MAY be starting to change. The Buffy Season 2 DVDs are supposed to have "Angel" trailers on them, and "24" is supposedly going to be out on DVD this fall (as it's not very syndication friendly because you can't mix up episodes)
    Star Trek usually comes out on VHS inthe UK about 2 months after it airs there. It's been happening since at least the time Voyager came on the air.
    Frankly, I think Enterprise stands a great chance of having DVDs fast in the US, but I really do think that right now Paramount is doing things in order of release. Trek series 6 will come out very quickly I'll bet [​IMG]

15. Chris Lock

Chris Lock Second Unit

> Two countries separated by a common language.
    Yeah, leave it to those Brits to twist our language & confuse us. [​IMG]
    I do wonder how "series" came to mean "a year's worth" over there, yet it means the entire show over here.

16. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Because British shows are frequently just 8 episodes and gone, over, done with probably

Only if something is really popular will they do more, and then it can take years (Python, Red Dwarf, AbFab) to build up the kind of catalog a US show reaches in a season or 2

17. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

18. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

I actually find the opposite is true: that syndication hurts DVD sales. For instance, a year ago if Fox would have released Ally McBeal season sets I would have rushed out and bought them. But after watching the re-runs on FX, I realzed this show didn't hold up to multiple viewings. I'll pass on any future Ally dvd's.

19. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

I hope Enterprise comes out soon on DVD because I am unfortunate enough to be "served" by a UPN affiliate with a signal so bad it's almost impossible to watch. Also they superimpose the largest logo I have ever seen continuously on every show - elevated so as not to block the UPN logo!! Moreover they frequently pre-empt Enterprise with some sports broadcast or another - bumping it to Saturday afternoons where it is often delayed by yet another sports broadcast - making it impossible to record for later viewing.

The upshot of all this is that I've seen fewer than half of the broadcast episodes. Losing such continuity also reduces my incentive even to try to watch.

Of course, the "availability" of this lousy station means I could probably not get a waiver for satellite reception.

20. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

This whole syndication thing is blown out of proportion. TNN (The Black Bar Channel Morons) paid a fortune for syndication rights to The Next Generation episodes, and now Paramount is releasing all 7 or whatever seasons on DVD in less than a year.