What impedance are SVS subs? Specifically CS-Ultra?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Im just curious because I am a bit confused. The amps they come with are rated 500 X 2 at 4 ohms a channel. Can I bridge this thing if Im using one sub? Also if I dont want 2 subs could I buy a different brand amp? For example an Aragon palladium 1k 600 X 1 at 4ohms or 1000 X 1 at 2ohms? Im thinking for the price it may not be worth it. But are there any other amps that may do just as good? Like a sunfire is 600+ watts into 4 ohms. The reason I ask is I get deals on sunfire and aragon.

2. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

I believe they are 4 ohms. The Samson amps do not handle less then 8 ohms in bridged mode. You can use any amp that you want with it, as long as the amp can handle a 4 ohm load and has enough power to feed the sub in your room. Take a look at some of the Carvin amps here and here if you don’t want to spend a lot of $$. They make good amps for a good price.

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Jesse, you would be well advised to order the PC-Ultra on special right now. The cost above a CS-Ultra is nominal, and the onboard amp is tailored to the Ultra subwoofer, with custom EQ curves and subsonic filtering at each tune point, a continuously variable (0-180) phase control, and a low pass filter defeat switch for bass management at the AVR or pre/pro.

Seriously, I wouldn't even waste your time looking for an external amp for the CS-Ultra when the PC-Ultra is available for so little more.

Regards,

Ed

4. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

I second ED's recommendation....I wish I had some spare cash!

5. Jesse Sharrow

Well maybe thats the way to go. Now whats the advantage to doing a passive sub and speperate amp? Now I noticed on the PC-Ultra I can daisy chain another sub to it. Well I think that solves that. That means I can add another in the future.

6. Jesse Sharrow

Now one other question, or opinion. Wich do you think would be better dual stacked 25-39 PCI's or a single PC-Ultra?

7. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Jesse,

I e-mailed you some reasons about the passive/self-powered question, and there is a good bit more on our FAQ's page here (which I figured you memorized by now, but probably this one slipped by you ;^):

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm#whichtype

As for your last question, there really is not a ready way to "stack" dual 25-31PCi subs. Put them side by side? Sure, that's easy enough. And running two signal cables to any two PC type SVS's is also easy (though you would not "daisy chain" them together per se). Two 25-31 PCi's would give a PC-Ultra a run for the money for sure, probably outgun it above 25Hz, but it'd be neck and neck below 20Hz (two 20-39PCi's on the other hand would be too close to call). Of course there's no reason to do this when you consider the PC-Ultra has far more features, and takes up half the floor space and offers comparable performance too.

If you really wanted to "stack" subs you would have to look to the PB1-ISD, which could be done that way. Again, the question would be, why?

Ron

8. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Edit: Ron beat me to the punch. My original unedited post is below.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++

IMO, there are actually disadvantages to going the passive sub, external amp route, especially when there is a powered counterpart available for such a modest upcharge.

In order to get all the features of the PC-Ultra, you would need to buy a CS-Ultra, the external amp (your brand choice, but 500 watts into 4 ohms should do fine), the SVS-1 Bass Box by Marchand, and the associated interconnects.

I suppose sub cables are more $$ than speaker wire, and you need to have an outlet within reach of the power cord, but these issues are NBD.

For duals subs, I would use a Y splitter at the sub pre-out out with two sub cables before I resorted to daisy chaining. DC'ing can sometimes (not always) carry some noise from one amp to the next, causing signal degradation. I prefer coming right from the source with a Y splitter.

You can't stack cylinders (unless your Gordon Groff); the term I like to use is co-located (i.e., side by side). There is no such animal as a 25-39 PCi (25-31 or 20-39 are the enclosure sizes). Regardless, dual co-located 20-39 PCi would probably give a single PC-Ultra a run for the money.

If it were my wallet, I'd opt for the single PC-Ultra over dual 20-39PCi.

Ed

9. Jesse Sharrow

I think the Single PC-ULTRA is the way Im gonna go. I just have to meet up with ron and listen to it. Well thanks guys. Now I just have to stick with my decision till april.