What if...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aslam Imran, May 29, 2002.

1. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

..I used an external 5 ch amp to run my speakers and use the receivers speaker-level outputs for the L/R surround speakers to drive additional surrounds. I have a Denon 3801 and this way I'll have four surrounds (2L and 2R) and two rear surrounds making a total of 6 surround speakers. Do you think it would work? Furthermore, if it works what if I used the unused receiver L/R surround outputs and hooked two surround speakers out of phase with the surround channels driven by the separate amp (ofcourse facing away from each other) so I have dipolar effect in the surround speakers with two identical direct radiating speakers.

Am I making sense or is this all gibberish?

2. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

I am surprised no one has any opinions on this.

3. JoelBdeau

JoelBdeau Extra

I actually thought of doing this myself but I did not have 4 identical speakers.
    From what I know about dipoles is that they just wire the drivers out of phase with each other. Also I know some have arrows that point a certain direction so my guess is that they want the "IN Phase" drivers pointing a certain way.(probally toward the front of the room) So as long as the in phase speakers point toward the front(assuming) and the extra speakers point toward the back, and you use the same speaker for all 4 speakers, it should work.
    But then again I may have no idea what I'm talking about [​IMG]