What if they region coded music CDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Would it be a big deal if they region coded music CDs?

2. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Well, in a fully hypothetical discussion -- seeing as how it would be impossible to START region coding CD's now -- I think this would be defeated just as easily as DVD Region encoding has.
    I'm glad that the next gen formats -- while they could have opted to do so -- have not incorporated region coding.
    Interesting idea, but I certainly do not see it happening in audio for a very long time if ever. Copy protection and watermarking unfortunately are something that we have to worry about today. [​IMG]

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Can't DVD-Audio discs be region coded just like regular DVDs can?

4. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

It would be a big deal for me, since I buy a lot of CDs from Japan and Europe. It would certainly upset me if they ever did something like that.

I know there might be some interest in it, since Japanese CDs usually have bonus tracks so that the natives by those, instead of the cheaper US editions.

Jason

5. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Would there be any reason to have region coding on music CDs?

I always thought that region coding was brought about because of the delay in theatrical and therefore home video releases of a film. If a film is just about to hit the theaters in country X but is out of the theaters and almost on home video in country Y, then the studios and theaters don't want people in country X buying a copy of the film on a home video format and skipping it in the theater.

With music CDs, that's not a concern. There's usually no similar "theatrical run" for a piece of music (I say usually otherwise I'm begging to be proven wrong.) If a CD is imported from one country to another, the studio stands to lose no or very little money than having the person purchase the same CD in their own country.

If the studios aren't losing money due to importing/exporting, then there's no need for them to come up with a scheme to prevent or curtail it from happening.

6. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm

7. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

If they were to region encode music, then I'd have to chip my player, just like all my DVD players have been. If you can't do that, then I'd stick to other formats. Either way, no biggie.

8. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I think the copyrights involved in music are far simpler than movies.
    A lot of the reasoning for region encoding comes down to:
    • NTSC vs. PAL - not a biggie but I guess they like to make it clear to people. Of course, it's odd that Japan is R2 then... [​IMG]
    • Yeah, release dates, though broadband combined with divX compression seems to be goading the studios into simultaneous release dates finally.
    • Extras: CD's don't have them really, but I'd guess that a featurette has to have its copyright cleared in all territories, etc
    • Laziness - refers to the point above - they do it once for R1 but then they don't bother giving it to R2
    • Subs and so forth. The R2 needs extra subtitles and audio streams normally so this lowers the bandwidth for the movie, meaning new work and presumably different costs
    • Censorship - I'm guessing that there was a sense that this would stop 'objectionable' material from some parts of the world being as readily available.
    I think the staggered release dates thing is definitely dying. It will be interesting to see if Region encoding is dropped. WB are already releasing stuff in R4 in NTSC not PAL. Considering their entire back catalgue is now £10 or less in shops I wonder if they're going to surprise us by being the first to ignore Region encoding?