What if the Wizards won the NBA championship?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I know it's still a longshot...

The Wizards have won six straight and seem to be gaining momentum. Is it so unfathomable to think they can come out of the East and face the Lakers?

If that did happen, Jordan's mystique would take on a new dimension!

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You forgetting about Shaq and the Lakers? [​IMG]

3. Brian Perry

Patrick,

Yeah, but if they even got to the finals (not impossible given the sad teams in the East), it would be interesting. Michael vs. Phil...

4. Jason P

Jason P Stunt Coordinator

David Aldridge made the comment that if the Wizards made it to the playoffs, then that would be the single greatest accomplishment that Jordan achieved in a season. Now that may be a bit extreme, but it would definitely be a testament to him, not so much his physical abilities, but to his leadership abilities.

I can see them making it somewhere from the 6-8 seed in the East, but let's not kid ourselves here, they definitely don't stack up to teams the caliber of the Nets. No, I don't think we'll see them take on anyone from the West at the end of their season, but it should be an interesting ride.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Re: the 6 game winning streak - ESPN mentioned that of all the teams that have amassed 6 game winning streaks, something like 87% have gone on to make the playoffs.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

So what's the stat for making the play-ofs if you also lose 8 in a row? [​IMG]

7. Jason P

Jason P Stunt Coordinator

Good point, Patrick.

8. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I'll be happy if they make the playoffs. If they win the championship, I'll name my firstborn after Jordan. [​IMG]
    Jon

9. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    If the Wizards win the Championship:

Jordan would retire - AGAIN!

Jordan would then compete in next season's NASCAR WINSTON CUP Series. Edging out Jeff Gordon for the WC Championship.

Can you imagine how many #23 Jordan Die-Cast cars would sell?

10. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian

11. Brian Perry

12. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

With Jordan only scoring 12 points and Rip Hamilton getting hurt and only scoring 8 points, this victory is truely amazing.

Jon

13. BrandonM

BrandonM Stunt Coordinator

The Wizards win streak isn't all that impressive. Yes, they are a much better team than last year, but the caliber of the teams the streak has come against is quite low.
    Here's the list and their records:
    Houston (8-20) Final Score: 85-82 (w/o Steve Francis)
    Dallas (18-9) Final Score: 102-95 (w/o Dirk Nowitzki)
    Memphis (7-20) Final Score: 91-81 (w/o Stromile Swift)
    Miami (5-20) Final Score: 82-80
    New York (12-15) Final Score: 96-80
    Toronto (15-12) Final Score: 93-88
    Atlanta (10-17) Final Score: 103-76
    Orlando (13-16) Final Score: 93-75 (w/o Hill and McGrady)
    New York (12-15) Final Score: 87-86
    Their only real impressive win was a close one against Toronto, but they have been struggling this year. If you look at them compared to last year, the streak is quite incredible, but for most of the NBA the streak wouldn't be nearly as impressive.
    Their 9 game win streak just goes to show how weak the East is. When teams like Boston, New Jersey, and Detroit are near the top of the league, you can tell it's not a very strong conference [​IMG] These teams would be end up at around the 7th seed if they played in the Western Conference at best.
    Overall, the Wizards have a semi-impressive win streak going and Jordan has quickly turned the team into a decent Eastern Conference team, but I'm still not convinced that they will make the playoffs. We'll see what their record looks like when they've played more than 7 Western Conference games.

14. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I can't believe you metioned Stromile Swift. [​IMG] Sure, he's had one good game in his one and a half years of being in the nba....so I guess I can see why his team lost.
    Jon

15. BrandonM

BrandonM Stunt Coordinator

Ok, that may have been a bit extreme [​IMG] I just noticed his injury for that game and put it down. He is averaging 14 pts and 6.4 rebounds a game this year, which isn't shabby.

16. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

He is improving. I wish some of these lottery teams would just give playing time to the guys they drafted. Memphis, Houston, and Chicago could all benefit from giving more playing time to their rookies. It appears that Memphis is now doing that with Swift. [​IMG]
    Jon

17. JustinT

JustinT Stunt Coordinator

Its gonna be tough for the Wizards to keep winning without Rip Hamilton. ESPN is reporting he has a torn groin and may be out for 4 weeks!

18. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

I grew up about 20 miles from the Capital Center and have very fond memories of seeing the Bullets play there. In fact, I still have a banner from their last championship season. It's fun seeing them get some media attention after two decades of bad coaching, bad management, and wasted potential.

But, I'm torn now. I just can't pull for Jordan, especially after watching him single-handedly knock the Bullets our of the first round of the play-offs four years ago in a series in which the Bullets led all three games in the fourth quarter. So, what did the Bulls do? Isolate Jordan. Score. Isolate Jordan. Score. I have great respect for his talent -- I think he's the best player ever -- but I don't like what he's done to the NBA game, which is why I haven't watched a whole game, regular season or play-off, in years.

I'm glad to see a reduction in his playing time and the obvious development of team chemistry, the main component that has been lacking in DC for years. Getting rid of Strickland and allowing Jordan to be an on-the-floor coach were their two best moves.