What if the 950 is really as good as it sounds?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Camp, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

What would a highly successful Outlaw 950 mean to the HT industry?

Will we finally see the big boys (Denon, HK, Yamaha, etc.) enter the low-cost/high-value preamp market? Will the Anthems, B&Ks, Lexicons, etc. of the world be forced to re-think their pricing strategies?

Is the 950 the bringer of parody to the HT market? -or is one low-cost/high-value preamp not enough to really make any change?

2. Rich Stone

Rich Stone Stunt Coordinator

While it might be a small wake up call for some of the "big-boys", keep in mind that the preamp/processor (read non-receiver) market is a fairly small piece of the consumer market - at least to this point. So I doubt it will make a huge impact.

As to speculating on the quality of the 950 it's still too early to tell, even with the excellent work of the beta-testers. I for one will be quite content to hold on to my Sherwood Newcastle AVP-9080R pre-pro until something comes along that sounds better(particularly with regard to stereo analog bypass) even close to it's price range. We'll see.....

Rich

3. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Well i hope so.. but i just bought a new open box Lex DC2...

4. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom

5. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Damn, Bob_L,
    You beat me to it! But I was going to cite Sound & Vision.
    [​IMG]

6. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

7. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Yup sadly, the 950 sounds really, really good! Sometimes better than those units that retailer GordonL cited.... for about a fraction of that cost...

8. Bill Wilkins

Bill Wilkins Agent

My dilema, as is the dilema for many people waiting for the 950 to arrive, is definitely the price difference between the 950 and the other pre/pro's currently available. If it were not for the price I would have jumped ship long ago.

Because of the price differential, the task at hand for "All" of the other companies is going to be how can we continue to charge retail and compete with the Direct Sellers of the world. There have already been some attempts by retail-based companies to stem this tide by not honoring warranties for product not purchased from "Authorized Dealers". They have also tried to dictate selling only at, or close to retail pricing,to the retail outlets/dealers. The business savvy dealers have accepted the fact that making $50 to $100 on a piece of equipment, and moving alot of units, is the only way they are going to remain in business long-term. I used to buy my equipment from full retail dealers and had to beg to get the 10% they were willing to give. Because of the internet, I have found authorized dealers(with storefronts) in other States more than willing to accept that $50 to $100 profit. I, for one, will never buy anything from a full-retail dealer again.

What are others thoughts on this?

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Folks this kind of quality for this price is nothing new. The Sherwood Newcastle preamp I have in my system hit the market in 1999/2000 at the unheard of low price of $1200 with very good quality. The Outlaw is nice, but not a "revolutionary new development that will change the industry".

And Sherwood Newcastle is planning to release the follow-up processor to the superlative 9080 in September.

10. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Out of curiosity, did the Outlaw receiver have a major impact on the industry?

Larry

11. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Bill:

12. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Phillip, the fact that pre-amp could be picked up for about 400 or less is even more remarkable. Same for the AM9080 amp. I picked it up for 4 bills as well and im now looking for another.

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Not really. Across all industries the process of clearing out old inventory when new replacement models come out is pretty standard. The fact that I got a 5.1 DD/DTS preamp and amplifier all for under $800 is an amazing deal, but is only possible because I waited until the end of the product cycle and the product didn't sell as well as the manufacturer had hoped. That's my MO - I look for deals like this (I got my Technics DVD-A10 for $350). You don't get those prices on popular models or models anywhere but at the very end of their product cycle.

14. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Given that they expect to sell clones of the 950 at around $1500, I don't see any reason to expect normal manufacturers to adjust their pricing.

Does anyone have a ball park figure for the price of the new Sherwood Newcsatle prepro that is being developed?

15. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

16. Bill Wilkins

Bill Wilkins Agent

LarryB,

I also like going into hi-end stores and browsing around. I have been in and out of them for more than 20 years so I have a reference for the usual 10% price break and sometimes 15% when you buy a complete system. I have spent a ton of money on gear and speakers over the years and have until recently purchased from hi-end stores. I also understand that they need to make money to operate the store. I am choosing not to fund the store-front anymore.

Will Outlaw have an impact on the industry as a whole? Perhaps not right away, but as other direct sellers spring up and information on the forums becomes more readily available to point out pricing structures and quality items,I believe there will be a shift. I was not speaking of buying over the internet at all, although I have purchased used equipment on Ebay and Audiogon, I was talking about authorized storefront dealers that are willing to give as much as 30 to 40 percent off retail. They are out there, you just have to find them. Maybe your local store is one of them.

17. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Dan and Bill:

I thank you both for your insightful responses.

Bill, as for your statement

18. Rich Stone

Rich Stone Stunt Coordinator

Craig,

It is my understanding that MSRP on the new Sherwood Newcastle will be no more than $1,500. I would hope, given the availability of the 950, that price would be lower. Time will tell - sometime in September.

If you don't need 7.1, a lot of digital inputs (although this can be remedied), and tons of features I would shop around for a new or used SN AVP-9080R. Saw a AVP/AMP-9080 combo on audiogon for $795 yesterday, wish I had some extra dough running around - I would have snatched that up for sure.

BTW, if anyone near or around the Reno area gets a 950 I would love to listen to it. I'll bring the popcorn!

Rich

19. Will

Will Guest

I don't think the upcoming Sherwood Newcastle pre/pro will be for sale in September. Last I heard, a (pre/production ? ) model will be demonstrated in a show, this coming fall.

20. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit