What if it doesn't fit?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Cukina, Oct 2, 2001.

1. Dave Cukina

Dave Cukina Stunt Coordinator

Okay I think my worst fears might be coming true, I just bought a 5oH81 today(coming this Saturday) and I've done all the measurements to bring it into the basement but what if it doesn't fit? I mean there is no reason it shouldn't but what if it doesn't. What would you do if you discovered that your new toy wouldn't fit?
    I don't think I would go with a smaller tv, I'd have to wait for slimmer models to come out.
    ------------------

2. Nate_L

Nate_L Auditioning

Dave,
    I had the same situation but it ended in "the nightmare" that we all hope to avoid. I took all of the measurments, or so I thought and picked up the 65H81. I got a heck of a deal on it and had to drive it back with me and my stuff cuz I was moving. I had no problem whatsoever getting it over there but when it came time to move it down the stairs, that is when I ran into a problem. Remember, gravity is working against you. 250 pounds does not sound like that bad of a thing but when you and 3 other people are trying to get it down the stairs, physics rears its ugly head. We got it all the way down to the last step but the one measurement I missed was the angle from the stair to the top (like a 45 degree angle) and this is the one that kept it from getting downstairs.
    Later on we did find a way to get it down the stairs but by that time, it was already packed and on its way back to the store. Basically, to get it done would have required cutting a support beam OR taking the stairs off which again, would have required more serious lifting cuz the tv in essence would be dropped down.
    To make a long story short, I took the tv back and now am getting ready to buy a projector. I did get a smaller tv, a 32" to tide me over until I ordered the projector but from my experience, make sure you have that one measurement and be ready for a day filled with sweat, swearing and bitterness if you don't get it down the stairs. Also, DO NOT take it out of the box. Try and get it down in the box. My store would not honor the opened box and would only give me credit which again, is another story. Send me an email if you have any other questions about it. Best of luck and take your time.
    ~Nate
    ------------------
    "At last we will have our revenge."

3. Dave Cukina

Nate,
    Thanks for the info, I think it's going to be a little easier for me because I only have one corner that the delivery guys have to get by then it's smooth sailing. One question though, the salesman said that they might have to turn it on it's side for a minute to move around the corner. Would this do any damage to the inside of the set?
    Thanks
    Dave

4. Nate_L

Nate_L Auditioning

I cannot imagine it being a problem with them tipping it on its side AS LONG as it is still in the box. If it is not in the box, than make sure they have a blanket on which the tv can sit. I would hate for them to drag it across the floor (if not carpeted) and have them scratch or crack the cabinet at all. But yeah I would say your best bet is to leave it in the box and move it around and then have them take it out of the box for your own sake. Be sure to document any abnormalities with the delivey process and take key note of the cabinet. I inspected mine for a good 20 mins before I let them go. With the tv on, check to make sure that the screen is okay but also check the cabinet, the wheels, etc. I put Three Kings on so that I could have a White backdrop to check to make sure there was nothing wrong. The blue works just as good but I wanted to double check. Also, make sure the sound is good. Basically, just be anal about the whole thing before you sign the delivery confirmation. If you have a problem, don't sign it and call the store. Other than that, have fun with your new toy. When I had the 65, the picture was amazing, twice as good when I hooked up my RP91 so I can imagine how good yours is going to look. Take it easy!
    ~Nate
    ------------------
    "At last we will have our revenge."

5. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi ya folks,
    I built a mockup of the tv. This calmed my fears of having the set stuck in the steps.
    For more info and pictures, click here .
    Thanks,
    Errol
    ------------------
    Keohi HDTV
    Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

6. Larry Gegel

Larry Gegel Auditioning

I built a mock up as well. However, since I like to build things for relaxation, I have a huge collection of K'nex building toys. I built a mock-up of my TV using K'NEX. Turned out it was no big deal, as my TV made it down the stairs and around both corners with no problems without even taking it out of the box. Did give some nice peace of mind to know that it would fit before I bought it though. It also gave a nice couple hour diversion of K'NEX building at the same time :).
    It must be the engineer in me. My wife sometimes thinks I'm nuts. A 37 year old playing with K'NEX. Oh well, she was happy see that the TV was going to fit before we bought it because she has a hard time visualizing how things are going to look/fit before it happens.
    Larry Gegel

7. Dave Cukina

Hey Larry and Errol,
    How big are your t.v.'s? My stairs going into the basement are about 32" wide and the width of the box is 28 so I'll be cutting it a little close..hopefully the delivery guys are nice and thin [​IMG]

8. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi Dave,
    Can't remember the exact dimensions but I believe it is in the link mentioned above at my site. Set is a 65x81.
    Thanks,
    Errol
    ------------------
    Keohi HDTV
    Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site
    [Edited last by errol on October 04, 2001 at 04:48 AM]

9. Larry Gegel

Larry Gegel Auditioning

My set is only a 42h81, but I have 90 degree bends at the top and bottom of the steps I was concerned about. Top and bottom two steps are actaully triangles that turn the landings 90 degrees at both ends. I know the box would fit down the steps, but was concerned about whether or not there was enough space to turn it at the top and bottom.
    Larry Gegel