What if I connect my Klipsch RF-7s to an HTiB's receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Haris Ellahi, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

When we bought our plasma, we got a free Panasonic home theater (one of those all-in-one home theaters). Since we still don't have our amplifier yet, will it be possible to connect the Klipsch RF-7s to the Panasonic amplifier without damaging the Klipsch? Those Panasonic speakers are 6 ohm speakers.

Click here for more info on that Panasonic amplifier:

http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...ategoryId=2607

2. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

You won't damage them if you don't play the system too loudly. As you may have seen from some other posts in this section, it is low powered receivers and amps that have the most potential to damage speakers, strange as it may seem.
    When the amp runs out of steam and clips, it sends distorted waveforms to the speakers; it is those waveforms that damage voicecoils. So keep the volume at moderate levels and the speakers should be fine.
    But who wants moderate levels? Go get that new amp!

One concern: Without seeing the owner's manual, I can't tell if this is one of those systems like Bose that sends the speaker outputs through the sub to be filtered, and then on to the speakers. If that is the case, you should post that and get some hookup suggestions.

3. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

No, the speakers are hooked up directly to the amplifier, not the subwoofer.

4. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Then just hook them up as the other speakers are. I just read a review stating that the Klipsch RF-7s have a sensitivity of 102 db's per watt of input. That is astonishingly high. So they need very little power to play loud.
    But since you have a flagship speaker, you should look for a good sounding receiver to complement it. I suspect
    that you could do better than the Panasonic.

5. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

6. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

I will be getting a Parasound HCA-2205A amplifier.