What's new

What (if anything) needs to be done to bring NAPOLEON up to snuff? (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
OK, as promised, I'm reporting back on the R4, though Mark vdH has mostly beaten me on it.

This is a pretty good representation of the Coppola version. Running time is 3h:42m:42s, which differs from the 3h:55m by about the 4% PAL speedup, so as far as can tell it's a complete rendition of the Coppola cut. Much of the time action is visibly sped up, though there is one segment that runs in slow motion and looks very strange indeed; I don't recall this from 1981 but it certainly could have been there and I've just forgotten in the ensuing 22 years.

Video: Bit rate is about 2.5-4 Mbps. The picture is generally soft and contrasty, but on closeups there's good detail, texture and sharpness, so I expect that the issues are those present in the 1981 print. Several difficult-to-compress bits, such as the pillow fight at the boy's school, look pretty good. There's some heavy pixelation as Napoleon is rescued from the sea. Quite a few frames still exhibit printed-in damage. I didn't observe any obvious conversion artifacts, however, so this may be a native PAL transfer. Tinting is generally subtle and does not interfere substantially with the picture while nicely underlining the mood. On the whole, it looks about as good as I remember the 1981 release looking, so if you're tired of waiting for someone to clear the rights for the 5-hour version this isn't a bad choice. I've seen plenty of DVDs of silent films that look substantially worse.

As noted, the picture zooms out for the closing triptych (has anyone heard if Brownlow has ever recovered any of the others that were supposed to be in the film?), and it will read poorly on smaller 4:3 sets. It is about 3:1, as Mark notes, although some bits of the triptych where the sides are dark are again blown up to fill a larger portion of the screen. This is a good demonstration title for folks with the Malata and similar players that feature infinitely variable zoom.

Audio: The Coppola score sounds fairly shrill and thin and is lacking in deep bass presence; the drums are mixed rather too loud. Dennis James' organ score sounds decent but again is missing the gut-rattling bass one expects from a pipe organ. There are brief but distracting audio dropouts at 2h:26m and again 2m before the end.

There are no extras. Chaptering is absurdly thin, with only 19 stops for a movie that runs nearly four hours.

Every time I see this film, my jaw drops. It is an incredible piece of filmmaking, particularly for 1927, and Gance really pulls out the stops of technique here, out-Eisensteining Eisenstein.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Forgot to mention an amusing sidelight I noticed regarding Carmine Coppola's score: far from being an original score all the way through, it also swipes enormous chunks of Beethoven, notably from the 7th symphony. But one hilarious bit is that one of the Beethoven chunks played during Napoleon's victory at the siege of Toulon is taken from the notorious Beethoven composition Wellington's Victory op. 91--commemorating the DEFEAT of Napoleon at the Battle of Vittoria (not Waterloo, as is sometimes erroneously stated). I have to believe that Coppola intended some kind of ironic statement here that's completely at odds with Gance's heroic view of Bonaparte. Weird. I've never seen any comments on this odd choice of music (though of course it's not exactly a famous Beethoven piece either--I refer to it as notorious since among Beethoven lovers it's usually listed as one of their least favorite Beethoven works although ironically he made more money from it than anything else he ever wrote).

You can hear a version of it for an early mechanical synthesizer (the Panharmonicon) circa 1814 at The Unheard Beethoven:

http://www.unheardbeethoven.org/sear...ce=hess108.mid

And also for piano and two cannon:

http://www.unheardbeethoven.org/sear...ece=hess97.mid

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I just sat through a screening of what I think was the 1981 Coppola version of Napoleon today. Far above and beyond my expectations.

While the film is still fresh in my mind, what are the major differences between the 2000 version and the 1981 version?

Also, any progress on getting a version (ANY version) of Napoleon on R1 DVD? Napoleon and Greed are two super wishlist titles for me now.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I was at the 1:30 showing today, at the Kennedy Center. Were you at the later one? Maybe we can meet up at one of those things sometime, although it looks like they're not showing any more movies at the Kennedy Center after the next month or two. I frequently go to stuff at the AFI theater in Silver Spring.

It was a pretty powerful movie. The frequent use of overlapping images and occasionally super rapid-fire cutting were startling for me, I didn't realize any silent movies made as much use of that stuff as films today. Maybe this was one of the few that did. The three-screen wide scenes were pretty cool, although the attempts to put all three of them together for one image didn't always work that great. I preferred the scenes where they split the three images between one shot in the center, and two different shots of something else (sometimes seeming like mirror versions of the same thing) on the sides.

I thought the best scene was when Napoleon sees, and speaks with, all the ghosts of the revolution in the big empty hall. That was flat-out incredible, definitely one of the best scenes I've ever seen in any movie.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Unfortunately, things have only gotten worse with the copyright issues, and these screenings many be the last time anyone sees NAPOLEON for a while.

Kevin Brownlow is showing his latest cut of NAPOLEON next month, I believe. It will be with Carl Davis conducting the London Symphony Orchestra and may be the last time the film will ever be shown publically. I'm going to try to make it, and it's certainly something that anyone who is serious about it should try to catch if they can.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Jack Theakston wrote:

"It will be with Carl Davis conducting the London Symphony Orchestra and may be the last time the film will ever be shown publically."

This is an interesting piece of information, although incorrect.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
James, thanks for posting that.

To be perfectly honest, I think the rights holders need to ignore their egos and let the movie get the exposure it deserves.

Yes, Francis Ford Coppola was great for putting his reputation behind the 1981 re-release. The Zoetrope version helped gain a lot of the modern following Napoleon has today. However, Coppola's influence shouldn't spread as far to cause the film to run into problems like this.

Napoleon is a great film because of Abel Gance. Not Coppola. Not Universal. Not the BFI. Not even the saintly Kevin Brownlow, who was largely responsible for putting the puzzle that was Napoleon back together again.

There is no reason why both the Carl Davis and Carmine Coppola scores can be attatched to Napoleon. There is no reason why both the 4 hr. and 5 1/2 hr. versions can be in circulation. The 5 1/2 hr. version is a superior version because of its improved image quality, better editorial format, and also its correct frame speed. The 4 hr. version is obsolete. It was great for 1981, but this is 2004.

Francis Ford Coppola, Zoetrope, and Universal are simply keepers of a cinematic masterpiece. The film needs to be shown in the best way possible, not whatever brings the most royalties to wallets. It's awful that France doesn't even have access to this film on video. In England, only the once-a-year theatrical showings happen. The American VHS isn't even in print anymore.

Napoleon is probably my favorite film (at least my top 5) and I'll be behind any effort to get the best version of Napoleon exposed to the public.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Seems like a lot of petty crap from little children who don't get their way - same as with BLADE RUNNER - while the rest of the world is denied access to great movies.

Garry Cowell

Stunt Coordinator
Abel Gance's Napoleon at the Royal Festival Hall

Well I was lucky to see this on Saturday and what a great experience it was! :emoji_thumbsup:
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I was initially amused to discover upon reading the programme when I got there that the thing was running from 14:30 until 22:35! :crazy:

...despite the film being only 5hrs 30minutes this was due to three intermission! (2 of 20 minutes and 1 of 90)

The first act was 2 hours or so and dealt with Napoleon as a child (huge tactical snowball fight, punctuated with scenes of his alienation with the other children as well as the start of Gance's juxtaposition of Napoleon with that of an eagle) we are then we introduced to the adult Napoleon and the other major players in the French Revolution (one assume, I have no real knowledge of the period :b ) the first act then ends with a re-enactment of the creation of the French National Anthem.

After a quick slash and very swift pint we where then recalled by way of an announcement of "Please return to your seats the concert will commence in five minutes" followed by a strike of a piano note every second as a sort of countdown, which sounded like the score to Eyes Wide Shut. :D

The second act was only 50min but felt longer (whether this was due to the film, the beer, or the butt numbing chairs - I don't know) but it primarily dealt with Napoleon's adult time in Corsica as well as his first major battle (beautiful shot in a rainstorm) and ended with him stealing the French flag from Corsica rulers (who were planning to sell-out to the English) and escaping from Corsica on a boat using the flag as a sail! :) Napoleon then gets caught in a huge storm, which is intercut with scenes of The Convention (back in Paris) itself swaying and rocking with waves of revolt. The act finished with a amusing scene of Napoleon being rescued by a French boat and a cameo by Admiral Nelson! Then an understudy on a ship, who is refused a request to sink “this suspicious looking boat” by his captain. :D

After a long break for lunch and a huge cup of coffee we sat down for round three.

This lasted about 1hr 45min and mainly dealt with Napoleon and Josephine’s romance. This was the part of Napoleon's life I was most familiar with (due to recently reading Kubrick's Napoleon script) and it just flew by, in one scene the movie was practically stolen by a couple of bureaucrats who by eating some paper documents (as way of destroying them) saved Napoleon (who was sentence to death for his French leanings) and Josephine from the chop! This part ended with The Convention being overthrown and Napoleon being heralded as the spearhead of THE REVOLUTION!

The final act dealt with his marriage to Josephine and his continued rise in the army ranks and concluded with him rallying the battle weary troops, which was shot using a pre-Cinerama (three cameras) technique that looked astounding (it must have been something like a 4:1 ratio!).

All in all a great day out in! Everything about this film just seemed ahead of its time, From the montage of images (at one point the screen is split into 9) to the fast cutting (there were scenes during the snowball fight that made Michael Bay's editing look slow!) to the final 20 minutes of super widescreen heaven. And of course Carl Davis' wonderfully conducted score, which was more than equal to the images.

BTW I say lucky in my first sentence due to the fact that Francis Ford Coppola is trying to suppress this film with the Carl Davis' score. To which Kevin Brownlow in his introduction likened him to Josef Goebbels! LMAO!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Wow -- I never knew that the film only runs through 1798!!! Someone had better get to work on a sequel. :)

As for the controversy -- it's a silent film. If a theater has the right to show it, then they have the right to play Dark Side of the Moon as the score if they want.

I poop on Coppola. (Can't he just call his father's version "Napoleon Redux" and let it slide? :D )

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Garry:

Thank you so much for posting about your experience. I can't imagine what the finale would look like on a real theater screen.

(This is a Photoshopped version of a 70mm frame from Thomas Hauerslev's wonderful "In 70mm" site @ http://www.in70mm.com/)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
When I was in college, I rented the VHS of the 4-hour restored version of "Napoleon", and that was just absolutely incredible, even in its truncated format. I remember reading way back then that it was the closest to Abel Gance's original version of the film. And to think that there's a 5 1/2-hour version! I agree, Coppola should get moving and release this master cut to DVD. This is most definitely one film that MUST be given to the fans (along with the 1927 version of "Ben-Hur").

The presentation of NAPOLEON at London's Festival Hall over this last weekend was sublime. Spectacular presentation of this inspiring masterpiece and looking better than ever before.The print being pristine,tinted and toned and at the extended running time of 5 hours and 33mins!

Maestro Davis conducted his score and 60 members of the London Philharmonic with great pride and vigour after being wheeled to and from the podium waving from his wheelchair! Kevin Brownlow introduced the programme whilst very discreetly having a laugh at the pomposity of Francis Ford Coppola's threat to supress the Carl Davis score in favor of the inferior version composed by his late father. It will be interesting to see how Coppola proposes to extend Dads 3 hour score from the redundant 4 hour 1981 version. (His father having passed away in 1991)His score for Napoleon lives on, on CD freely available to those devotees who are interested.

Wouldn't it be more gracious, as Coppola has virtually retired from film making,to acknowledge that his 1980's version is now pointless. The current version has had so much more restoration in both picture quality and content.To threaten the British Film Institute from being able to show it every few years to an audience of enthusiasts seems churlish and not befitting a man who professes to love classic film. I expect a lot of the interference comes from Universal Pictures to whom Coppola sold his interest in Napoleon in the 1980's when Zoetrope had financial woes. Doubly interesting is the fact that Universal burnt all their silent films in 1947..........and that they have no rights to the new extended footage either.

Good news? Kevin Brownlows book of the making and restoration of NAPOLEON has been reprinted and updated and makes for compulsive reading.If you'd been there this weekend Mr Brownlow and Mr Davis would have happily signed it while you waited and were happy to answer your questions too.Buy it now before it goes out of print for another 20 years!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks