What if...$12000 HT budget? How would you build it?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Adam.More, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Adam.More

Adam.More Auditioning

I'm finishing my entire basement and will have a dedicated, windowless 12x20 room.

I'm thinking of getting:

BenQ PE 8700 or InFocus 7200
    Da-Lite Screen (not sure which one yet)
    Yammy RXV-2400
    Denon DVD-2200
    Axiom speaker set up or Yammy NS setup.
    Phillips pronto remote

I'm wide open to suggestions and would like to thank this forum for helping me even form an opinion!!

Happy Home Theatering!!!

2. ConorJ

ConorJ Extra

Infocus Screenplay 4805 Projector- $1400
    Panasonic SA-XR70 Reciever - $400
    Samsung HD-941 dvd player - $350
    4 GR Research A/V-2 speakers w/ matching stands + A/V-2 Center - $2670
    SVS PB-2 Plus subwoofer - $1200
    BP-3.5 Signature balanced power conditioner - $2500
    projector screen - ~$1000

$9520 total

3. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Add the Sanyo Z2 projector to your list. Check the reviews, it rocks.

Consider www.carada.com for screen, save some money. Classic white is a nice choice. See one on my personal web site.

I'd go with separates for pre-pro and amp(s).

Lex

4. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

My shot...I wish I had that money [​IMG]

DENON AVR-4802 - $1600
    HOME THEATER DIRECT LEVEL 4 TOWERS - $3600
    HOME THEATER DIRECT LEVEL 4 CENTER - $350
    SVS PB-2 Plus subwoofer - $1200
    PANASONIC AE500 PROJECTOR - $2000
    FIREHAWK SCREEN ~ $2000
    BRAVO D1 DVD PLAYER (DVI) - $200 or Sanyo 941 ($350)

Total $10950 (bravo) or $11100 (Sanyo)
    Regards

5. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

toss the dalite out..grab a carada with the 7200...That bravo has to be the worst DVD player I've used...loud, doesn't work half the time..and I'm glad it wasn't mine[​IMG] Check out the Dali suite line @ www.dali-usa.com its getting some rave reviews at AVS. I'd go separates also. You can do a lot with that money...BTW, the 7200 is sold out until March at most places...but it'll be worth the wait![​IMG] I second the SVS PB2...helluva sub!

6. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

If starting from scratch in a windowless room. Then I'd say, first get your room right. IMO, most of the money wasted in personal HT is spend trying to adjust for bad accoustics from the room.

The sound one gets from most HT receiver and or separates is very subjective. I prefer separates. But, that's just me. Receivers in a good room can sound every bit as good as separates to most people. The idea is to watch movies and HT shows etc. In a well setup room one shouldn't hear the equipment and speakers. Again, a perfect room doesn't need equipment to correct problems.

I could give you a list of my favorite equipment for your budget. But, I'd rather tell you to get the room right first and for most.

Good luck.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

Great choice of speakers. I have 3 A/V-2s for my front stage and they sound wonderful. I'd recommend a little better receiver for them though. Would you really buy a $2500 power conditioner and a $400 receiver?

I'm more interested in audio, and I have a 19x20 room right now, and a huge screen isn't necessary for me. I'd go B&K or Adcom separates with the A/V-2s and a SVS PB1 or 22-31, Denon 5900, Panamax 5300, and the rest on projector, screen and room treatments.

8. ConorJ

ConorJ Extra

The panasonic receiver is a direct digital solution...the audio signal stays digital until it reaches the speakers. It uses a TI chip to do a PCM-PWM conversion...so there is no DAC between the preamp section and the power amp section. It can be modded by Wayne at Bolder Cable to sound even better...in fact a few people have replaced multi-thousand dollar 2-channel setups with the modded version of this receiver. Check out the threads on audiocircle. The XR-70 is an updated version of the XR-45 that is shipping now. It will have HDMI which gives it the ability to keep a DVD-A signal in the digital domain. It will use the same amplifier section as the XR-45 but hopefully it will add a few more options including better bass management and binding posts for the rear channels.

9. John Garcia

John
    I have read discussions on the XR-45's capabilities, though have yet to hear one. I don't question it's sound capabilities, but that is only one side of the issue. I still don't think this receiver is going to be enough power to push the A/V-2s (especially in a larger room like mine). I am currently driving them with 125wpc, and it seems like just enough at elevated levels (music). I am moving them to monoblocks @180wpc this week.

I don't understand the need for a direct digital solution. I didn't know there was a problem with the way analog sounds [​IMG]

All speakers are analog, so unless we are talking about powered speakers, they are receiving analog signal.

10. ConorJ

ConorJ Extra

I guess I should have written...the signal stays in the digital domain through the amplification stage and then is converted to analog before it is sent to the speaker. As far as 100w/channel not being enough...the speakers sensitivity is 91.5db at 1w/1m so even at high volumes (100db) you are using less than 10w. 100w will easily get you to reference level peaks (105db).

11. Adam.More

Adam.More Auditioning

Thanks for all your insight. I'm honestly a newbie in this whole HT world, but have gained some valuable insight from all of your posts. Thanks.

One last question...where do I position the screen...how far from the floor? 3 feet?

Thanks!

I start building this Friday (well, not me, but my contractor)

12. John Garcia

John

They are efficient, but they are also 4 Ohm, so they like a fair amount of power to bring them out - they seem to sound better when driven harder. My receiver (Marantz 8300) is technically not rated for 4 Ohm speakers, so it may not like it when the impedance drops into the

13. Adam.More

Adam.More Auditioning

Okay, so here is my new speaker setup:

B&W DM602 S3 - 2 Front
    B&W LCR60 S3 - Front
    B&W DS6 S3 - Rear/surrounds
    SVS 20-39PCi

any thoughts?

14. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

PANASONIC AE500 PROJECTOR - $2000
    SVS PC-ULTRA - 1200
    Denon 3803 - 900
    Denon 2900 - 900
    Energy Veritas 2.3i, 2.0Ri, 2.0Ci ~4000
    Screen DIY or Firehawk
    TV Receiver??
    Cables
    etc

15. John Garcia

John
    Canada is only a few hours from you, have you considered a trip up to Windsor for some Paradigm Studios? They are definitely worth an audition in your area since you have this as an option.

This sounds like a good setup, though it might be a bit bright with the Yamaha (unless that is what you like). Definitely go with the SVS.

16. Rodrigo Mansill

(Probably, the best post I've seen in a long time).
    I'm probably wrong with the prices, because I'm foreign.

Well, the new Denon 3805 = $1000
    Add that a Denon DVD player (with DVD-A and SACD), like 2900, AFAIR = $1200
    Speakers for 7.1 (not bipolar!!!), I'm not sure for the brand... I accept all the suggestions you can made, but about $2500 for that, including 2 (yes, TWO) subs.
    JVC S-VHS VCR = $400
    Sony DVCAM VCR = $2000
    DVD-R & PVR = $1000
    A nice plasma screen = $5000
    Universal Remote = $500
    Total for the video: $13600

Now let's add some things for the music
    Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MKII and a nice capsule = $1000
    CD Player = $1000
    Casette Deck = $300 (only for legacy purposes)
    Sony MDS-JB980 minidisc deck = $500
    MP3 server = $2500

And last, but not least:
    Wiring, decoration (ie: room preparation) & furniture (including a Black Leather sofa) = $3000

Grand Total: $21900 (i think so)

(It's nice to dream.....)

17. ConorJ

ConorJ Extra

Taking room gain into account, even at 3m away from the A/V2s, 100w from an amplifier that can handle a 4-ohm load would get you to 105db easily. So I stand by my recommendation of a $400 reciever [​IMG] In regards to the bpt conditioner, I recommend atleast some type of power conditioning to negate the effects of poorly designed power supplies in most consumer electronics. I figured since I was that far under the $12k budget I might as well recommend the top of the line model.

18. Adam.More

Adam.More Auditioning

Funny thing, I do that sweet spot excel spread sheet and last time I checked, I didn't graduate from MIT! Can anyone give me a freakin' clue?! With all the work that was put into that thing one would think there would be a cell that says...this would be perfect room measurements. So, if any of you MIT grads or brainiac's would like to help me...I sure would appreciate it! My room looks to measure in at 12x18.10 with 8.5 ceiling (to drywall the ceiling or tile, that is another question!). Should I worry about seating placement? I want to put 7 seats in there.

Paradigm...I saw that, and you are right I should take a ride over. Are Paradigm better than B&W? Or just as good? Which reciever should I get? HELP! Thanks guys for all your help! Still on the fence about the projector though.

19. John Garcia

John
    Yes, the studios are better than the 600 series.

Well, I'll just have to go give one a listen. [​IMG]

I just fired up the A/V-2s with the monoblocks (MA500s) and I can say the difference was quite noticable.

20. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Adam,

Live Wire in Windsor is where you'd want to shop for your Paradigms. Here is the link LiveWire

Paradigm makes an excellent speaker for a reasonable price. The advantage for you is the exchange rate and getting sales tax back. Here is a breakdown of what it may cost you(before tax) if you got a similar setup as mine. I didn't factor in the 15% GST/PST since you get them back in the end at the border and via mail. In my deal the dealer also threw in some speaker stands for free(Premier Audio metal S-series($240CDN value)

Paradigm Studio 40: $1217.40CDN
    Paradigm Studio 20: $956.52CDN
    Paradigm CC-470: $608.70CDN
    Paradigm PW2100: $625.00CDN

Total: $3407.62CDN/$2600US