What I'd like to see out of Adire...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Rory Buszka, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

I'd like to see a line of XBL^2 drivers for building full-range speakers (I mean a tweeter, a couple woofers, and a full-range driver). One driver I'd like to see is a 1" silk dome tweeter. You could make an incredibly-detailed tweeter with such a powerful motor structure. Another idea is a 4" full-range driver. I think that the powerful motor that XBL^2 makes possible would be a great thing to stick on the back of a full-range cone. You could also give it a high excursion (like the 4" woofers found in computer subwoofers) to dip down into the 50Hz area. I also want to see some XBL^2 woofers, like say a 5.25" and a 7" or 8". These should have faily decent excursion, say like 4mm on the 5.25" and 6mm on the 7" or 8". I think that the XBL technology isn't being used to its full potential simply by building it into subwoofers - it should also be incorporated in some regular drivers.

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Cool ideas. I think the next implementation for XBL2 will be in the woofer of the HE10.1 if I recall correctly. I've asked Dan about a full-range driver, also, something like a "super-Diatone" with the apparent treble response XBL2 makes possible.

3. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Well, XBL enables Adire to build what many of us consider "dream" drivers that could potentially become very popular high-end components among Hi-vi's and Scan-speak's. However they are such a small company I think it may take some time for such ideas to become reality. The new HE10.1 looks like the first step of a much more significant trend, and I have to congratulate Adire for their innovations with this technology.

4. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

I think once adire starts making full range drivers with XBL2 I won't even consider other drivers for projects. There is a huge potential for making some of the most accurate speakers available with that technology. It's literally an audio revolution! I just hope that when they sart making tweeters they don't use ferrofluid [​IMG] I wonder if it's possible to make a high Xmax tweeter say around 2 or 3 mm.[​IMG] now theres an idea! 20 mm tweets that can be crossed over @ 1 khz [​IMG] 3 way's wouldnt even be a thought.

5. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

6. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

I recall one of the Adire guys mentioning something like a 6.5" and 4" in the works, or at least being tossed around on the drawing board...

[​IMG]

7. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

Last I heard they're coming out with a 6.5" with around 12 mm xmax.

8. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Here's a quote about that 6.5":

"Heh, I should have the prototypes in the next few days. Flat BL out to 12-13mm one way, flat Cms out to 16mm one way, flat Le out to 16mm one way. Built to be the best 6.5" woofer in the world. Period. Time to turn our sites on the big-boys of the world - Scan Speak, Peerless, Seas Excel, etc.

IMD and THD are both WELL below what we've measured in other drivers. And I have used the Seas Excels and lots of the 8545s/8546s in the past..."

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

- Lets not forget that Adire Audio makes a lot of products that are not on their site. Dan said: "What we offer publicly is really "teaser" stuff, or great value (bang for the buck) to show other OEMs what we can do at a given retail price point. It's a "cheap" way to buy exposure in the industry."

[​IMG]

9. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

OK, who let you into the lab? [​IMG] We do have several different drivers coming shortly with XBL^2 in them. Mids, tweeters, midwoofers, etc. In fact, anyone going to the VSAC 2003 show, October 3-5? If so, not only can you meet me (that may be a disappointment...[​IMG]), but you'll get to hear a full MTM system using the new 6.5" woofers mentioned above.

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

10. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

I'm drooling... if you guys can come up with a tweeter with a nice increase in useable linear Xmax, that full 6dB/oct system is looking much more plausible. [​IMG]

11. ClaudeL

ClaudeL Stunt Coordinator

Dan, do you think that we will be able to see any of these new XBL2 woofer before DECEMBER this year?

12. David Giesbrecht

I wonder when Adire's gonna make a sub that breaks the 1 decimeter point to point mark. Could you imagine an 18" sub that is capabe of 50mm of one way travel.

13. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

VSAC? What about CES?

14. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

Richard,

In good time...[​IMG]

Claude,

We'll have them ready for OEMs well before that. Depending upon production runs, we may have it ready through our dealer network before December.

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

15. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

David,

All in good time...[​IMG]

Tim,

They'll be at CES, too! VSAC is before CES, so it will be the first public showing.

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

16. David Giesbrecht

I want to see subs with lower FS's and higher Q's, more like the DPL12. If only it was a 15" or an 18" XBL2 driver with an insane excursion! then it would be my dream sub.[​IMG]

17. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

18. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Now you've got MY attention! THAT's what I'm talkin' 'bout!
    FAST 6.5-inchers with Xmax and ultra-low distortion (and hopefully cone modes way up there past xover region. Then maybe a tweet with Xmax to cross over VERY well at 1,500 Hz.
    Might even take my fantasizing away from line sources...hmmm....if the upcoming 6.5" is not too expensive (remember us DIY-ers, Dan[​IMG] ), that might make for a killer line source driver. Just in case, Dan, square off four sides of the driver flange to facilitate stacking a line of them[​IMG]

19. Jeff Meininger

Jeff Meininger Second Unit

The surround on that 6.5 must be pretty big to facilitate such excursion. [​IMG]

20. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

I just realized that Dan has hinted that pretty much every thing wished for so far in this thread has received some level of serious attention at Adire... so,

How about pushing the cone breakup modes and roll-off on that 4" woofer up near 10kHz. And how about dropping the resonance of that super tweeter (with a few mm excursion, of course) down into the low hundreds range? Oh, and make sure that 4-incher has unparalleled dispersion. Almost forgot, that new 15/18" sub needs a foot of Xmax, no less!

All in good time, I hope! [​IMG]