What's new

What I want and what I can afford (1 Viewer)

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, as the title says, what I want is the Panasonic 700, but what I can afford is the Panasonic 500 :angry:

Due to this, do you guys think I should buy the Panny 500, or can anyone recommend a better (newer) projector in the same price range. From what I have read, I won't be disappointed with the 500, but I still want the most for my money.

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
So I am guessing that your price range is around 1,500?? If so, do yourself a favor and look around at some reputable on-line venders that are authorized Panny dealers. There is a $200 rebate out for the ae700 that has brought the price down to the $1,800 range. Still high but a little closer to what you may want to spend. You may also want to call around for a refurb 700 or Z3. If I were getting into FP right now and want to go the LCD route....which it seems you do....then I would exhaust all options on the 700 or Z3 before I went "down" to the 500.
Are you interested at all in DLP? If so ther are a lot fo great choices out there in the below $1,500 range.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
I want to stay with LCD, mostly because of the better resolution. I am aware of the rebate for the 700, but before the rebate, that is a difference of about $500, which I can't sacrifice right now.

In addition to the projector is a screen, (106" HCCV), speakers (PSB T65, fronts only for now) and a receiver (Integra 6.5) plus cables, directv HDTV receiver, dvd player, surge protector, projector mount.....as you see, a lot of money upfront to get started.

So if I add an additional $500, I am REALLY stretching it, believe me, I want the 700, but I doubt the price will drop that much, if at all, in about a month when I ready to purchase.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Well, you can always go the DIY route with the screen for the near term, if you want to shave some dollars somewhere. Many people seem to get satisfactory results going that route, including myself.

Also, have you looked into the Sanyo Z3? From reviews, it is perhaps a slight step down from the Panny 700, but probably is a better projector than the Panny 500.

Jason

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
The Sanyo is only $200 less than the 700, I might as well get the 700, it will be the same price when all is said and done.

I will look in the Sanyo, I may have to 'settle' for this projector. I have read that it is more suited for ceiling mounting than the Panasonic, which is where I will be mounting it.

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
make a DIY screen, keep the 1500 you have now and wait a couple months, more than likely the AE700 price is going to come down a bit more and you can save up some money....Myself I am sticking with DLP, I could buy the 4805 right now, but I refuse to settle, Im holding out for the BenQ PE7700, trust me man, just wait a while and save up some more cash and get the PJ you want, dont settle, you will be happier in the long run if you do

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, the problem with waiting is that there is always something better comming out. If you keep waiting, you'll just be on the fence for a long time.

Just make a decision, and stick with it. You really can't go wrong with any of the projectors out there at the various price points.

Jason

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
I won't be ready to purchase for another month, so far the best price I have found the 700 for is $1999 from an authorized dealer, before the rebate. I am hoping the price may drop a little more in this time period.

I agree with you about now settling Travis, I will just have to find a way to get the extra $ if the price doesn't drop.....I have been waiting too long already. :D

TicoTVA

Stunt Coordinator
Just found out that there a may an open box AE700 Kevin_F .
If you want to stick to your guns. Its a week old

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
I would rather the 700 Tico, no offense to the 4805. As for the open box, because this is my first I would rather buy new. I will get the money part of it taken care of...Santa will just have to come early this year ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks