1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What I Learned in College: A Cautionary Tale

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dome Vongvises, May 2, 2002.

1. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

I've known people over the age of 40 that were starting medical school. My own class had a grandmother in it. I have a friend who had a career in engineering with AT&T then decided to go to med. school and was accepted(to Case-Western Reserve U. no less). So it can be done. Don't get discouraged and make sure you apply to a lot of schools. Oh yeah, if college is only there to teach you how to think(and you truly believe it is for that and nothing else) you will be a well-rounded bum(pun not intended).

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    You missed the most important lesson:

Never let school get in the way of your education.

You can learn from books. You can learn from professors. But never again will you be surrounded in such a sea of learned people that have differing opinions on life, culture, and your area of interest as well. To not meet with them outside the classroom is a real tragedy. Even the geeky ones. Even the ugly ones. Even the loners. Even the smart ass, egocentric jerks.

All without mom and pop looking over your shoulder to see how things are going every instant. At once its both terrifying and liberating. Learning to relax and let off steam in such chaos, and learning self discipline in an atmosphere that allows such things as the 14 kegger downhill beer slides is what its all about. =)

Sam

3. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Dome,
    Lots o' good advice above! The members of the HTF always come through... sometimes [​IMG]
    I felt the same way 10 years ago after graduating from college. The "friends" I made in college vanished and my old HS friends were all graduating as well and moving out of town. For the first 12-18 months I was in a stupor. I would summarize it as "This is IT?!?!" It seemed like such a waste.
    Ten years later, I've been married nearly six years, have a beautiful baby and just purchased a great house. I'm in a job that can be frustrating at times, but in the end is challeging and very rewarding. Looking back I wouldn't change a thing.
    Just a few things I learned over the last decade (everyone may not agree):
    1. Your grades aren't that important - after your first job future employers are more interested in your job experience than in the grade you received in LIT 101
    2. The friends you made in college will be your lifelong friends - for some this is true, for the majority of people I know, this is false. Personally I have stayed in touch with far more childhood friends than college friends.
    3. A college degree is not a waste of time and money - its easy to begin doubting the value of a degree right out of college if/when the world doesn't come and beat down your door! You may not realize it, but your degree will open up a few doors. Its not a free pass, but it definately helps.
    4. You don't have to love your job - its best to work in a field you really enjoy, but sometimes its not realistic. Bill collectors don't care how much fun you have at work, they want $$$! However, if you are doing something you hate, then you owe it to yourself to start taking the steps to make a change. It may mean making personal sacrifices, but it will be worth it in the long run.
    Best of luck!

4. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg

5. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Dave F. said