What I have learned from posting...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ArthurM, Dec 4, 2002.

1. ArthurM

ArthurM Auditioning

Well from reading the many posts I have learned alot.
    1. Listen to the speakers befor you buy[​IMG].
    2. When buying a receiver buy Merantz, Harmon Kardon, or (my favorite Yamaha) p.s. did not have enuff time to list all receiver's. I also have nothing against Your Receiver.
    3. If you state something is better than what someone else has stand by [​IMG] . Men and there Mine is bigger, bader and will crush your's to no end syndrome[​IMG]...
    4. Seem's alot of people like "SVS".... Why not they crush the competition "Just my opinion [​IMG]".
    Last thing I finaly purchased my new system.
    1. Speakers front R/L: Jbl S38II's, CENTER: JBL "S", Rear R/L: wallmount S36II's. Saving money for "SVS Sub + Broken glass, dental and neigbor calling cop's bill."
    2. Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5590.
    This is my first system I can crank and my ears don't drip blood. My employee discount never sounded so good. I could of paid more buy why??? My last system was a Kenwood HTB it was great for the time being. Now Yamaha/JBL/SVS

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I will humbly disagree with #1. [​IMG]
    Here's how I buy pretty much any component:
    Research, research, research.
    Read lots of published reviews. Mags as well as the internet. "Professional" as well as user reviews. For speakers, I will not buy a speaker unless I can find a freq response plot somewhere. It is a heck of a lot *more* likely that a speaker that measures well also sounds good, than a speaker that measures poorly.
    My favorite sites includes:
    www.audioreview.com
    www.audiovideoreviews.com
    www.ecoustics.com
    www.hometheaterhifi.com
    And then all the mags: Stereophile, S&V, SGHT, Home Theater Mag, WSR, etc.
    That's what has worked well for me. I have gone through components because I got tired of particular ergonomics, new technology, and/or "upgradeitis," but rarely because I was unhappy with a "performance" (sound quality) issue.
    But each person has to find what works for them... [​IMG]

3. ArthurM

ArthurM Auditioning

Um yea I guess on that point I was lying. Here is why...

A. I am not a audiophile and well just like a good deal.

B. If I read all the stuff I should I would never buy
    anything, because well I always want the best.

C. So I compromise I bought the best (IMO) my discount
    could get me at BB.

Your stuff is way beyond what I could ever afford. I love the T.V. you picked out nice. I always believe that Pano Black is the best Period.

You see I am a Computer Tech and well this is my vision.
    PC hooked to my Mitsubishi 55" thru my ALL in Wonder 9700 video card. That my friend to me is absolutely Wickedly Sick. That way I will be able to surf net burn DVD, well you get my point. So for now JBL/Yamaha/SVS is the best for me.

Last but not least I totally agree with you. So many of my customer's blame me when they know nothing about the products they buy. My question to all of you is this," At what point does it become the customer's responsibility to know what they are buying". I get sick and tired of the," well I am going to return it because I can't figure it out".

Thanks Art.