what i hate about movies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaleR, Feb 18, 2002.

1. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

i really hate the way hollywood handles firearms in movies. i hate "infinity" guns that never need reloading. i hate bad guy's gun that mis-fire or seemingly have aiming sights designed by the blind. i hate good guy guns that can hit a hapless bad guy fired from the hip while on the run. but mostly i hate the damage or, lack thereof, caused by guns in movies.

i was watching Three Kings last night and at almost the same time 2 characters were hit by rounds from what appeared to be an ak-47. one, the minor character, was hit under the collarbone in what was described as a through and through wound. the other, a major character, took the round in the abdomen and it punctured a lung. moments later the minor character died.?!? while after some ministrations which involved a needle valve to relieve pressure from his punctured lung the major character is up and about as though nothing were seriously wrong with him. i see this bull all the time; people getting hit in the leg and walking/limping around. people getting hit in the arm and using it like normal. i hate it. and please don't talk to me about adrenaline. most people when they get shot go into shock.

what is it about movies that insults your intelligence to the point that you yell at your wife things like "that is so stupid".?

2. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Simple, those are not films they are flicks.

Brian

3. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

Is there really as scene like that in 3 Kings? If there is then I'm almost embarrassed to admit I liked the movie.

4. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

have you seen Black Hawk Down?

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

You can add the idea that anything sturdier than a cardboard box gives adequate protection from gunfire to the list.

6. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Atleast MOST movies, today, have an accurate noise from the gun. Remember the 70's and 80's (and beyond)? They used the same phoney gun shot sound in almost every movie. I find it hard to watch some scenes in The Deer Hunter because hand guns in this movie sound like cannons.

I'm amazed movies are still doing the infinite bullet thing. There have been and continue to be a lot of good action scenes ruined because of this.

Jeff

7. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

Why be embarassed to like a film because of that?

I was watching Lawrence of Arabia the other day and when Lawrence got shot he danced around the top of the train like nothing happened. His excuse was that 'they'll need more than a bullet to stop me'. My point is that there aren't many realistic gun fights in cinema.

One that actually comes to mind for me is Heist, this was a realistic gunfight in my opinion.

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I think part of the point of that Three Kings scene is the fact that they abandon Conrad's (the minor character) wound, while the help Troy...and he dies when when they are paying attention to Troy. I don't really look for that crap in Three Kings anyway...because it's not really pertinent to the story...which is a stylized political commentary on the Gulf War.

9. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

It all depends on the kind of movie you're talking about. If you're sitting in a "Rambo" movie and are looking for an accurate representation of combat, you're in the wrong theater. That kind of movie shouldn't have accurate combat because it's a popcorn film: you go to have fun and lose yourself in a fantasy world. It's restrictions on weapons should only be what is dramatically appropriate: the hero's always accurate and never runs out of ammo (unless it's at the very end so he can beat the bad guy to death instead [​IMG] ).
    I was always impressed with the gunfight in "Heat". To my mind, that seemed very accruate both in the sound of the guns, the range in which they were using them, and the result of the wounds.
    Though not an action movie, I liked how the film "Grand Canyon" presented a gunshot wound. Steve Martin is mugged and shot in the knee. As the camera pulls back, you see him on the ground bleeding, shivering and puking - completely incapacitated.

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, what about chairs that collapse like tissue paper when someone hits another person with one? Or large bottles that smash to pieces when someone has been clobbered in the head with said object?

In either case, in real life someone would be killed by such blunt trauma.

And remember in the early '80s how filmmakers of popular non-art cinema payed only lipservice to historical reality? To wit: In Twilight Zone: The Motion Picture, German soldiers are shown pursuing Vic Morrow. Look at their hair--it's long and over the collar. Not exactly military-issue hair-styling there.

This sort of cinematic cheating cheapens the work of dedicated filmmakers who seek to get everything right.

11. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

We noticed in Shaft that whatever gun Shaft was using was louder than everyone elses. This even applied when he picked up a bad guy's gun... it got louder.
    We noticed it a little bit in Tombstone too. We call it the Shaft gun syndrome [​IMG]
    BTW, referring to the recent remake of Shaft.

12. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Now, even though I love Fargo, there was one scene involving gunplay which bothered me. Gaer Grimsrud shoots an innocent bystander who is running away and is probably about 100 feet away not with a rifle, but a pistol! And he gets him with one shot!

13. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

On Disc 2 of The Rock: Criterion there is a very interesting piece called "The Dos and Don'ts of Hollywood Gunplay" by two gun experts who dissect the various incorrect gunplay cliches in movies. They then proceed to display the correct way to execute such moves.
    Among their list of 'don'ts' are 'running with a gun and shooting,' 'against a wall with barrel pointed up,' 'sideways gansta aiming,' and 'gun tucked into pants.'
    -J

14. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

Dale,

I have to repeat Paul's question:

15. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

hey guys!

thanks for answering.

i haven't seen BHD yet though both my fiance and i are anxious for it to come out on dvd. we rarely (about once every ice age or so) go to the cinema anymore as it is usually such a disappointing experience. but BHD is very high on the must see list.

i'm sorry. i didn't mean to single out Three Kings. it was enjoyable although i didn't really accept the rather simplistic and heavy-handed political polemics. its just that i had recently watched it and had seen all those bad hollywood gun cliches.

another thing i hate about movies are their depictions of serial killers. ever notice how they tend to be rich or at least financially free to pursue their nefarious hobbies?

i've read a fair bit about real life serial killers and oddly enough they almost all had/have menial,yet full-time, employment.

please, please, please share what stupidities, inconsistencies and just downright howlers make you cringe. also, don't ask me why i read so much about serial killers... if i think you suspect i may have to pay you a visit....

16. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

I have 2 questions, what is the difference between a film and a flick? Also with Black Hawk Down, doesent it depend on the theater and its sound on if the base if strong or not.

17. Scott Dill

Scott Dill Stunt Coordinator

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The logic of not sticking a gun in your pants would mainly be reserved for the front of the pants where you might shoot off your pecker by accident (stranger things have happened...)

"Films" seem to connotes a more serious look at some theme/topic/situation. After leaving the theater, you are left with questions that make you a little more introspective on what you saw in the film.

"Flick" is more of a "park your brain at the door" type of movie. You watch it, and then leave the theater and don't quite much to gnaw on, simply a roller-coaster ride.

19. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

20. Scott Dill

Scott Dill Stunt Coordinator