What I don't get about Chinese Restaurants

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Garrison, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Sometimes, my folks are in the mood for Chinese, and most Chinese Restaurants also sell American food like Burgers, steaks, and other things. What I don't get is WHY the American food takes so damn longer than the Chinese food? The restaurant we went to tonight wasn't that bad. But I've been to others in the past and it took them a half an hour to 45 minutes AFTER the Chinese food was served for them to bring me my burger. WTF?!?!? Can somebody explain to me why these restaurants are like this?
    BTW, thier TEA is pretty good, and I eat the fortune cookie paper and ALL!! Hell with reading it. [​IMG]

2. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

Warning, some may find the following offensive:

admin deleted the offensive text.

Chris

3. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

Maybe they purposely take longer so as to discourage you from buying American food there in the future. [​IMG]
    Or, it could just be that most of the American stuff is less convenient to prepare; I'm guessing most of the Chinese stuff isn't really "cooked to order".

4. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

There are Chinese restaurants that serve hamburgers, steaks, and other American food? That is news to me.

~T

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

chinese food is kind of modular if ya think about it, you can sort of prepare the parts and make a bunch of different dishes out of them. (the chicken is the same in sweet and sour chicken, and sesame chicken, and probably some others for example)
    also chinese food doesn't use hamburger, maybe they had to thaw it out?
    I love chinese food [​IMG]

6. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I would expect a guy working the grill @ Burger King could make burgers quicker than shrimp fried rice so I can cut a Chinese guy some slack when it comes to making American food[​IMG]

7. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Sorry bud, but that crap you eat at "those" Chinese restaurants ain't Chinese food. You want the real deal, go to where other Asians eat. And it's not at places that serve American food. [​IMG]
    The reason why it takes so long for the American food to arrive is because they have to place the order at a real American restaurant. [​IMG]

8. andrew markworthy

The traditional cookery of several Chinese regions was designed to be cooked using the minimum of fuel. In other regions, food tends to be quick to cook because the food has to be cut into small enough pieces to be picked up with chopsticks, and thus cooks in less time than a bigger piece of food which will later be carved up with a knife and fork, such as a steak. Hence, for either reason, the food takes less time to cook.

In addition, the heat from a Chinese restaurant stove is a *lot* hotter than from a domestic one, which further speeds up the cooking time. Also, as has already been noted, Chinese food can be made 'modular' - i.e. all the individual ingredients are pre-prepared, and preparing the final product is a matter of adding them together in a set sequence. Incidentally, this destroys a lot of the finesse of genuine Chinese recipes, and for this reason it's worth checking out more expensive Chinese restaurants which don't do this (or buy in the trickier recipes ready prepared for reheating), or better still, learning to cook the stuff for yourself. The difference between the travesty which is sweet and sour pork in a typical Chinese restaurant and the real thing is revelatory.

The reason why Western food takes longer to prepare is probably because few people order it, and so the 'production line' isn't pre-prepared to produce it.

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

How to tell if a Chinese restaurant serves genuine Chinese food: If the restaurant is full to the brim with Chinese people (who are jabbering in Chinese of course), and is packed every weekend at the least, then you know the food is genuine.

Corollary: You will never see items like "Chop Suey" on the menu, which is actually a western dish concocted by an evil diabolical mind.

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Bah, I don't care if it's authentic or not, it's tasty [​IMG]

11. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

12. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

If a Chinese/Japanese (or whatever eastern restaurant) is serving American food, then it isn't a true cultural restaurant.

13. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

14. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

Christopher P
    Hiding you remarks behind the veil of a spoiler doesn't make them any less STEROTYPICAL or RACIST
    Admin note - the remarks have been removed.

15. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I don't go to high-end Chinese restaurant but I find the best Chinese mid-level and/or lower restaurants are the ones which menu is only written in Chinese.

Quite unfortunately, that means I have to always take my uncle and dad in order to go to those places for I don't speak a word of Chinese.

Also, at places around me, there are places, according to my dad, that serves the same food but at different prices depending on which menu you order it from (English menu or the Chinese menu)

16. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    ....There are Chinese restaurants where you get served different "appetizers" based on your race, if you're asian you get peanuts and usually picked "turnip" type or if you're caucasion you get fried noodles. I've noticed it and sometimes I'd like the fried noodles too [​IMG]
    There's also alot of authentic Chinese restaurants where the cash price is cheaper (because they don't report it as taxable) which seeming I've only seen in Chinese restaurants and not in any non-Chinese restaurants I've been to.
    Jay

17. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

My wife and I tried ordering some Chinese food without MSG -- big mistake. It was very bland.

18. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

MSG is not actually bad for you. Too much MSG, just as having too much of anything, is bad for you. Studies of the bad-ness of MSG is being conducted towards rats by giving them MSG as a substitue for their food. That is as ridiculous as humans eating nothing but MSG for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack.

I personally prefer the non MSG version (when I cook myself) just because when I use really fresh ingredients I find that MSG actually hides the natural flavour of anything I cook. When I can't get fresh ingredients, then I put a bit of MSG. My 200gr bottle of MSG is still about halfway full since I bought it about 5 years ago.

19. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

After I noticed the blandness (or lack of saltiness) I actually asked the waiter if they could add the MSG back, but he said no -- unlike adding salt via a shaker, the MSG has to be "coated" on the pan prior to cooking everything. Or something like that.

20. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Who cares if it's "genuine" Chinese food or not, as long as it tastes good. I love PF Chang's. [​IMG]
    /Mike