What HT Room Ratio??

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by DarrinG, Aug 16, 2003.

1. DarrinG

DarrinG Extra

Is there a ratio for the best home theatre room size. You know how full screen is 4:3 or the ratio for Widescreen is there a perfect hometheatre room size.

Any help would we great

Thanks

Darrin

2. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

I think it is more appropriate to discuss what not to use. I think a common belief is that square rooms or rooms in multiples of each other (i.e. 24x15) should be avoided.

3. william-scooter

william-scooter Stunt Coordinator

I am building new house with home theater from scratch. I asked my consultants what size should it be since I had flexibility to make it whatever size. I was told 21x16 so that is what I am doing. Not square... not multiples...

4. LaddR

LaddR Auditioning

Remember to take the room height into consideration too. You need to keep it from being a multiple of the room length and/or width. A room 21x16x8 can still have reflection problems. Changing the width by a foot one way or the other is probably easier than modifying a standard 8' ceiling.

5. william-scooter

william-scooter Stunt Coordinator

forgot that factor... my 21x16 has 9 ft ceilings. that may have been why they chose 21x16

6. Terry Montlick

Terry Montlick Stunt Coordinator

William,

Your consultants were correct in their room dimensions. These pass our room calculator recommendations, which conform to international standards. This Excel calculator can be downloaded from our web site: www.componentacoustics.com

Regards,
    Terry