What HT component(s) should I start with?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Holyoke, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Hi all,

I still live at home, but will be moving out in the next year or so, and would like to slowly start building my HT. I'm not going to get a TV until I move, because of room size issues. Receiver and front speakers are what I'd think I should start with? I'll probably just use the PS2 for the DVD player for now.

The components I want to get are things that will last me many years. My dad still has a 25 year old pair of floor speakers in his shop, and they sound great even now (I don't know the brand, can't find it anywhere on them). I don't want to buy things that are going to be junk in a couple years.

I would like to get a bigger/nicer TV now for my room....I wouldn't think anything bigger than 27" would look good in my room. So what's a good budget 25 or 27 incher? Svideo is preferred, I wouldn't have a lot of use for component yet.

Thanks for all help.

Tim

2. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

People will probably ask for the budget you are considering before giving advice/suggestions.

3. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

As for a budget, I'm not sure, I'm really open minded. Like I said I want quality components that are going to be good for many years. I don't have a huge budget, so no top of the line stuff....but I would think in the $400 range for a receiver, not sure about speakers. I don't need great stuff, just quality. I'm guessing even the cheaper stuff would make me happy, as I'm not used to having anything but the TV sound. Thanks.

4. Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

I would recommend starting with a home theater in a box set up for now. You can get pretty decent ones for that price, especially if you can shop online.

5. Iver

Iver Second Unit

For a receiver for $400, check out the entry-level models from Denon (AVR-1403, AVR-1603). The styling is very conservative, which gives these receivers a sturdy, reliable look. And they sound good too.

Decent bookshelf speakers start at about $200 while floorstanding speakers list at about $400 or more.

6. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

For that price, you could easily get a reciever capable of 6.1. Panasonic SAHE100 ($269-299), SAHE200 ($349 @ jandr.com, which is a pretty good deal) or the Pioneer 811 ($349-399).

7. Jim Gloeb

Jim Gloeb Auditioning

Tim, check out harman audio for some great specials on JBL floorstanders. A friend of mine has the JBL S310BE setup with only two fronts as of now and it sounds awesome.
    harman
    You can check the dropdown under Specials to see tha receivers on sale. These are remanufactured by HarmanAudio but they carry factory warranties.

8. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Thanks Jim...this is kind of what I'm after I think. I'm curious, would the S310BE setup be something that would be good for a bedroom? It's about a 13.5' x 10.5' room, however, it's right above my parents bedroom, so if I'm watching/listening to something later at night it'll have to be turned way down. I will probably very seldom have it real loud, so I'm basically after quality sound. Thanks.