What's new

What home theater for my XBOX? (1 Viewer)

TysonG

Auditioning
Help.....
I'm trying to decide which home theater system to get for my XBOX. I will be moving into an apartment; so I really can't turn up the bass to often :)
I require something with optical inputs and I will be using the s-video connection to the TV.
Price Range $200 - $400
Looking at:
Sony HTD DW-830 550 watts
Kenwood HTB 204 (not sure if it has optical inputs????) $249
DSS-900 5.1 by Interact $120
Cambribrige Soundworks DTT 2500 $205
Philips MX966 500 watts $400
Aiwa HT-D580 DD/DTS $400
RCA 500watts RT2280 $299
Kenwood HTB 504 $400
Any suggestions??
A dvd/cd option isn't required. I wil use the Xbox for this. Thanks.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I'd buy a used receiver for ~$100 (go cheap here) and get a set of Energy Take 5 speakers (Paradigm and Klipsch also make good 5.1 speaker sets) with the bulk of the money.

The speakers you get in a HT in a box solution suck (to put it mildly). You won't get Dolby Digital in a used $100 receiver but for better speakers it's a good trade.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Kenwood HTB-504, nothing better for the money. Works great for my consoles, especially when I upgraded the speakers :emoji_thumbsup:

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
For my bedroom I plan on getting the JBL NSP1 package and then using a cheap DD/dts reciever.

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
For the price range I would look at the Onkyo HTS 490 ($400 on line) or the Kenwood HTB504. I would also look at getting something like the Yamaha nex RXV430 with the Hometheaterdirect.com (HTD) Level One speaker 5.1 set for $150. That way you have a quality receiver that can decode 6.1 ES/EX matrix. HTD has a 30-day money back guarantee including shipping. I ordered a pair of the level ones to use as surrounds, they should be here next week. You could also wait for Yamaha's new replacement for the YHT 18 which will be a 430 with speakers.

I just hooked up a new RXV530 with Def Tech's in front and my cheap Aiwa's in back and it still sounds great. It was cool playing Halo again, hearing bullets and enemies coming from the sides and behind. I wasn't even watching my radar at first, I was just looking for enemies based on the sound.

TysonG

Auditioning
Well I'm leaning towards the Kenwood 204. $249.00 is unbeatable for the quality. I found out it has only 1 optical input. I know it doesn't provide much for future expansion, but 249 is 249. Thanks, I will checkout hometheaterdirect.com

What's the big deal about this new Pro Logic II in the Kenwood 504? Man, all this is.......for a little more $$$ you get this ....and even a little more $$$$$$$ you get that.....it never ends.

I figure as a first time HT purchase; I feel a safe buy is the Kenwood HTB-204; if I can find it online.

Laterz.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
One suggestion, don't rate the systems by their "total wattage". Its a misleading figure that doesn't have much basis in the actual output of the system.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Tyson, save up a little more and get the Kenwood HTB-504. It will be your best bet. My friend has one and it sounds pretty damn good. Definitely best bang for your buck!!

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I used to have the Onkyo HT-484 Home Theater in a box. It came with the 484 reciever 4 wall mountable speakers)1" tweeter 4" woofer) a nice dual 4" cone center and an 8" powered woofer. The speakers were all made by Audiosource. It sounded good and definitely a great starter system. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the Onkyo would come with the best reciever of the bunch. Since you're most likely to keep the reciever and ditch the speakers, that alone would be reason for me to go for the Onkyo.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
My dad has a Boston Acoustics/Yamaha system that is worth about $10000... I have the Kenwood HTB-504 ($400).
My system is properly calibrated (with an SPL meter).
His is not.
I would say that my Kenwood system sounds 90% as good... for 1/25th of the price. The Kenwood 504 has a REALLY nice receiver with Dolby Digital, DTS, ProLogic, and ProLogicII. I was originally unimpressed by DPLII, but wow... properly calibrated... it works GREAT! (especially with dolby surround material)
Get the 504! :D

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
I would rather use my tv speakers than waste my money on the HTB204, the HTB504 also has Circle Surround. If I were in your shoes I would eat noodles for a month to get the HTB504 :).

TysonG

Auditioning
Wow.....

Thanks for all the suggestions!

This forum rocks.

Well, now I'm getting excited about maybe saving for the 504. Hope it doesn't disappoint. Anyone know where's the best place to get the HTB-504 (Online or store looking for the cheapest price). Also, how is the length of the speaker wires? Adequate or should I purchase additional speaker wire? Man, you talk about having to get some serious renter's insurance. Hehe.

Laterz.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Well now you experienced it first hand Todd, this place is definitely not easy on the wallet! :D
I bought my 504 from etronics.com who had it for $385 ($425 shipped) last year but I think it has gone up in price since. Accessory-wise it's great for beginners as it comes with speaker wire & a sub cable, but for the savvy HTF'er like yourself you'd want to upgrade that as as you can. :)
I immediately got some 16 guage wire at Radio Shack for about $8 and used it for the front 3 speakers, but kept the very small 22 guage wire for the rears (just didn't have enough). I also used a thicker RCA cable I had lying around the house rather than the miniscule one that came in the box.
Currently I have a JBL N-Center, N26s for fronts and N24s for rears with 16 guage wire all around. I just sold the original speaker package for $182 on ebay so it wasn't a total money drain. To tell you the truth I would still be very happy keeping the original speakers because although the difference in sound quality is noticeable, I was still impressed by the Kenwoods for movie watching.
For sound formats, I recommend trying out CS 5.1 on most all racing games, it sounds awesome in GT3 which outputs only 2 channel sound. The cars literally surround you and somehow the center speaker keeps the sound of your car, very cool. With the Xbox I always keep it on DD.
edit- for best prices check:
www.pricescan.com
www.pricegrabber.com
Link Removed

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
LowellG: Hey Lowell! Give me some more details on what you think of your new V530!

TysonG

Auditioning
Question for you guys. I currently have a 3-cd stereo system which has rca inputs on the back. I have my Xbox AV pack running to the rca connections on the stereo now. If I get the Kenwood 504(without the dvd and cd option), can I connect my 3-cd stereo to the kenwood receiver and play my cd's? Thanks.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Depends on if there are outputs for the CD-player...

Worst-case scenario... you use your X-Box as a CD-player for now until you can afford to add a nice one on to your system...

TysonG

Auditioning
It figures......

I just called Sears and the guy said that they have one more Kenwood 504 left. It's a floor model and that he'll take 10% off making it a $400 value. Well I might try to get 20% off if I pursue this.

What are your feelings about the Kenwood HTB-404DV?

(5 dvd changer with CD) $489

TysonG

Auditioning
Well!!!!!!!

Today I finally decided to jump into the HTB world and purchased a Kenwood HTB 505 from Vanns.com for $449 free ground!!!!!

The rep said the units are leaving as fast as their coming in!!!! Now the long wait begins, but in the meantime I'll be gathering all the cables and adapters for the big setup day!!!!!!!!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Man that is a GREAT price! Well worth the cost. Tell us how you like it when you get eveything hooked up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks