What's new

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Hmmmm....

Michael McDonald - Motown

Bon Jovi - The Left Feels Right

Allison Krauss + Union Station - New Favorite

And lots of Hong Kong pop SACDs.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (both formats)

Michael McDonald - Motown (SACD)

Ordered the new DK disc on SA-CD, and will get the DVD-A when it's released.

Skipped Tommy for the time being.

Cheers,

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

I highly recommend Michael McDonald's album. He's quite a natural fit for the material. In fact, what took him so long to do this? In some ways, the production was too polished - need to dump that drum machine. Otherwise, well recorded and well performed. Well worth the $14.99 I paid at Best Buy for it. Because this album was a big success (turning platinum earlier this year), a follow-up is in the works.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
John:

What's your theory/rationale for doubling up on DK and EJ?

All:

I'm pleased with the sonic improvements of the Crowded House DVD-A over the CD.

-p

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Paul,
It's good fodder for discussion, and I like lining Universal's pockets for supporting both formats :D
Seriously, I'm impatient, and I want the surround discs sooner rather than later -- so I buy the SA-CDs when they are out, and the DVD-As when they're out. It's not the best comparison material as most go through 24/96K PCM for mixing -- but they are for the most part well done. Since my system is clearly optimized for DVD-A, owning the DVD-As is a natural for me.
Lee,
I think the Michael McDonald disc is good, but not great. Maybe it'll grow on me after a few more listenings.
I definitely like the work on GBYBR -- outstanding quality and a number of great tracks that aren't hits.
Cheers,
Cheers,

Tim Dogg

Agent
I recently bought the flaming lips The Pink Robots DVD-A after reading all of the reveiws from other users on here.

Well if anyone wants to buy it its up for sale.The surround effects are good on 5.1 but that guys voice just makes me want to kill myself.UGGGGGGGGGG

Think im going to preveiw the music before running out and buying somthing just because other people liked it.

Anyone wants it e mail me.$15.00 shipped just got it last week.Comes with a CD and DVD-A. Paid $22.00 from buy.com

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
My newest batch of hi-rez includes:
Art Of Noise "Daft" (some rather trippy tunes, indeed).
Alan Parsons "I Robot" (only listened once, but I've always liked this one).
"Amadeus" soundtrack (would have been ideal for MC release, but it is truly great music).
Side note: I've noticed the record companies are now releasing stuff like GBYBR in DVDA, but most people who wanted a hi-rez form of that album have already bought the SACD, which was released months ago. Am I wrong? It seems they're shooting their own feet ;)
Dave

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ron, how do you like Brilliant Corners? I heard its good.
Lee, please tell me you're just asking about the sound and not the music. ;)
I so can't wait for this to arrive. I was planning on starting a seperate thread for the Fantasy discs once I got them.
Paul:
I've never heard Zander's 3rd. I really want to get it, but I can't listen to a lot of Mahler at once, I need breathing space, and Thomas' 4th is coming in the mail.
Of the two that I do have, Boulez and Thomas, Thomas' is more solid and slick, while Boulez' follows the quirks of the music more. Or maybe he makes the music follow his own. Don't know how else to describe it.
I'm relatively new to Mahler and having been using Thomas' recordings as sort of a benchmark to get into a piece before hearing other versions (except for the 1st- my first exposure to that was the Bernstein).
As for my DVD-A stuff, I meant that my speakers are in storage. I have both my SACD and DVD-A players, the latter is only being used for DVDs now. I listen to SACDs on headphones. The stereo tracks on DVD-A aren't a big deal for me- especially since the disc I want most, In Absentia, has a low-res stereo track. And at least the music of new SACDs can be portable.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Side note: I've noticed the record companies are now releasing stuff like GBYBR in DVDA, but most people who wanted a hi-rez form of that album have already bought the SACD, which was released months ago. Am I wrong?
You are assuming that most people who would want to hear that own an SACD player. :)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Lee, please tell me you're just asking about the sound and not the music.
Yes, we already have this classic. I listened to the album in my car and the redbook even sounds good. :emoji_thumbsup:
Monk was a genius and so far ahead of his time that it took people a while to recognize it.
I first became familiar with him when I heard Wynton Marsalis play "Think of One" at Cabell Hall at the University of Virginia. Mindblowing stuff. I can't even comprehend how Monk came up with the music.
This disc is a great collection-Max Roach on drums, a nice Clark Terry appearance on Bemsha Swing. Sublime album.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Monk's genius was often in his simplicity. Sometimes when I hear a Monk tune I laugh because it's just so logical- why didn't anyone think of Epistrophy before? And as odd as his accompaniment style is, it pretty much forms the basis of a style which I've come to prefer, that chordal clanking sound as advanced by McCoy Tyner, incorporated by Hank Jones, and expanded upon by Chick Corea, though I'm currently growing my jazz piano playing collection in the other direction with Keith Jarrett (now his standards trio would make an awesome SACD!)

Oh man, why hasn't my elusive disc shipment come in yet?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
though I'm currently growing my jazz piano playing collection in the other direction with Keith Jarrett (now his standards trio would make an awesome SACD!)
Don't forget to stock up on the new Oscar Petersons!
The McCoy Tyner reissues on Blue Note are good. Passion Flower comes to mind. I wish Blue Note would be more supportive of Super Audio and let loose of some of Rudy Van Gelder's tapes. Analog to DSD please. :)

Scott>G

Agent
I got the new Clark Terry Portraits album
I have actually met him a couple of times. My wife has actually played with him on stage. Clark celebrated his 80th birthday party at the University of New Hampshire with a great concert with all his jazz friends. My wife played the piccolo part to the jazz version of the Nutcracker suite.

VERY COOL!

He did a great version of Mumbles.

I am just getting into Hi Rez music. An will definitely be buying his album.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I have actually met him a couple of times.
He's a nice guy. Here's how I met him...
David Chesky invited me to come by and see Clark Terry perform live at the Village Gate (check out Chesky album title of same name). I go there to hear some great jazz and David comes up to me and says something like "hey Lee, we are short an intern do you want to help out?" Thus began my crash course in record engineering. My first duty was to go around (at a NYC jazz club!!!) and ask people to put out their cigarettes if they were next to the AKG microphones (smoke fouls the sensitive diaphragm in the mic). After a while, I go back and visit with future friends Bob Katz and Jeremy Kipnis who are working the recording controls in small control booth. Clark comes in and thanks everyone from high to low. Incredibly nice guy. Paquito D'Rivera is also there and friendly as well. Something about jazz musicians and their zest for life.
And it turned out to be a great record and they gave me an undeserved (at that time) credit for being a production assistant. I have been having fun in and out of professional audio ever since.
Mumbles was played as was the great Pint of Bitters. Get Clark Terry Live at the Village Gate and read the liner notes carefully. ;)
Clark is also very close to Bill Cosby, a HUGE jazz fan. :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Hey, Lee! I used to work part-time at the Village Gate. I think that's the most fun job I ever had!

I got Godsmack's little acoustic album today and it's really hot sounding. I far prefer them with acoustic guitars. They'll proably never make another album like this...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks