1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, May 1, 2004.

1. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Bryan Adams' Reckless BD-A. Flipped a copy of the Super Deluxe Edition when it first came out to read the interviews in the booklet, watch the music vids and listen to the Odeon show. But decided I didn't need to retain all those goodies--fine with "just" the single-disc BD separate release now.

Looking at finally getting more than just the Songs For Swingin' Lovers Sinatra SA-CD. Of the six that MoFi remastered and reissued, it looks like they picked three of the "sad" albums such as No One Cares and three of the "swingin'" albums. Welcome any input as to which one of the remaining five is most recommended from either "category"--I'm more interested in overall commentary about the essential-ness of the album in the Sinatra canon moreso than SQ. From a little reading, every single one of these remasters is outstanding and each album is considered something of a classic. If it helps, I absolutely love both Only the Lonely (have def stayed up late drinking with this record; wish that had made it to SA-CD before MoFi quit) and Swingin' Lovers.

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Hi-rez download of
    belafonte.

Chris Gerhard likes this.
  3. Message #3123 of 3132 Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Alan Parsons 5.1 mixes of:
    1) Tales of Mystery & Imagination
    2) Eye In the Sky

Both sound fantastic - more of a 4.0 mix for each. TOMAI is better served because it's the stronger concept of the album of the two. Parsons won a Grammy this year for the 5.1 mix of Eye In the Sky. Sure hope more Parson's albums receive surround treatments especially I, Robot and Pyramid.

Waiting for delivery of Parsons newest album being released on April 26th - The Secret. It's out on CD and Bluray and will have a surround mix.

Blimpoy06 and DavidJ like this.
  4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Hi guys, long shot but wanted to throw it out here just in case.

I’m looking for the SACD version of Peter Gabriel’s 2002 album “Up” and the lowest price I’m seeing from used vendors is around $80.

Wondering if anyone here has an extra copy that they’d be willing to part with for less than that.

5. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    I'd say place it in your wishlist on Amazon and check it from time to time. That is how I was able to afford a copy of Fleetwood Mac's Say You Will on DVD-Audio.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  6. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    I bought them all because I am a Sinatra at Capitol fanatic. I was somewhat disappointed with some of the choices. You already have SFSL. I would rank the remaining ones in this order:

1. A Swingin' Affair! - This is basically the twin to SFSL. I love both equally. One of the great albums of all time.
    2. Where Are You? - I prefer Nelson Riddle's arrangements to Gordon Jenkins' shimmering strings approach, but this "slow" album contains some of Frank's best vocals (he was still at his peak). And they are not all tragic.
    3. Sinatra's Swingin' Session! - Well, it is a swingin' album. The story is that Frank sped up all the arrangements when he showed up to record. Some of the songs are less than 2 minutes long. Sinatra is a tad past his peak, but sill sounds great, and the album sounds great.
    4. Point of No Return - His last album for Capitol. Sinatra was basically mailing it in for he last few Capitol "contractual obligation albums" while concurrently recording for his own Reprise label. He reportedly refused to do retakes which necessitated a dub of one word on one track. Nevertheless, there are some great songs, and even though Sinatra really did not care much by then, and was a tad past his peak, he still does a great job on songs that are about old times/goodbyes.
    5. No One Cares - It took me quite a while to get into this album. Most of Frank's "sad" albums are not 100% sad. They often have a few wistful songs or even some with a touch of humor. By the time you've heard "No One Cares", followed by "A Cottage For Sale", you are ready to kill yourself.I guess the only song with at least a touch of humor is "I Can't Get Started". Also, Frank does not sing out with that bel canto voice as he does on sad songs like "What's New?" from Only the Lonely, but keeps his voice closer and quieter.

I wish MOFI would have moved "In the Wee Small Hours" and "Come Fly With Me!" ahead of those last two. I ended up buying the hi-rez files of those albums from HD Tracks.

Blimpoy06 and Paul.S like this.
  7. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Nice! I recently got a copy at a good price - too good a price as it turns out only half of it played. I got a refund but that was a bummer.

8. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    I had no idea a new album was coming out. I'll have to pick it up. I don't see a Blu-ray of it on Amazon though.

9. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Thanks, David_B_K, for the Sinatra comments.

I bought Point Of No Return since my last post on March 21. Still in preliminary listening phases. I figured what you say about Swingin' Affair being something of a SFSL twin would be the case, which I why I de-prioritized it. I'll eventually get the Come Fly WIth Me! plain ol' CD and then continue with CD purchases from other chapters of his career (including Sinatra/Jobim). I'm still trying to avoid the "black hole" of getting further into hi rez files/downloads.

I appreciate what you say about arrangement preferences but in a slightly different way. In looking at getting more of both these MFLSs and the Analogue Productions Nat Cole SA-CDs, I've kinda wanted to avoid multiple albums from the same arranger. Not that they aren't worth having, but because there's so much I wanna get to and these discs aren't cheaper, impulse buys like $4 CDs.

10. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    Paul, in the case of Come Fly With Me, in the absence of a MOFI release, the HD download is the way to go. CFWM was originally a mono release. All the "regular" CDs of it are in stereo. The MOFI release was going to be in mono before they stopped the series. I think the Hi-rez mono download is probably the same as what the MOFI SACD would have been.

Come Fly With Me was recorded with a multi-mike setup with several mikes (I don't remember how many) spaced throughout the orchestra to pick up specific sounds. Those mikes all fed into the mono recording machine. Simultaneously, the stereo version was recorded using only 3 microphones - left, right and center for the vocals. These fed into a stereo recorder. As a result, you hear a lot more of the Billy May orchestration in the mono version than you do in the stereo, such as the harp glissandos in the title track. If you have the MOFI version of Only the Lonely (which was not in SACD), it is the same situation. You here a lot more in the mono version. The opening piano of the title cut is way more pronounced in mono, and the piano on Angel Eyes is almost inaudible in the stereo version.

Mono is preferred for Sinatra's albums through 1958 (the year CFWM and OTL were released). The following year, Capitol was totally dedicated to stereo, and all Sinatra's albums thereafter (starting with Come Dance With Me) were intended for stereo. Any subsequent mono releases were merely fold-downs from stereo.

If you do collect any of Sinatra's albums in regular CD form, try to find the Larry Walsh versions. These were released in the early 90's. Walsh used what he thought were the original master tapes, but they weren't. They were masters for later re-issues. But they still sound pretty close to the original gray label mono LPs (the MOFI releases are closer). Try to avoid the versions mastered by Bob Norberg. He fiddled with the sound and tried for a "fake stereo" effect on the mono albums, and used way too much noise reduction after which he amplified the highs to bring back some of what was removed. The result is a strange "off" sound. Someone (I think maybe Nancy Sinatra) described it as sounding like "the air had been sucked out of the room". The Walsh versions have a plain label on the CD itself, while the Norbergs have a black label.

One thing I dislike about the "regular" CD versions is that they add "bonus tracks" that do not belong, and in some cases, throw of the concept Sinatra and his arrangers were going for. The MOFI versions and the hi-rez downloads do not add bonus tracks. The only album that is improved (IMO) by bonus tracks is Close to You. On that album, the bonus tracks were actually recorded for that album and were cut because they would not fit.

Todd Mattraw and Paul.S like this.
  11. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Thanks again, David. More on Sinatra in another post later.

Looks like the last few pop/rock BD-As I've been seeing for over a year with about four to eight copies available on Marketplace are starting to dwindle further. Finally got Stevie Wonder's Songs In the Key Of Life. Surprised how all of a sudden Rush's Signals dropped in quantity on both the Amazon US and UK sites. None on ebay either.

12. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Sorry it's a DVD + CD release. Heard four of the songs when I saw Parsons in concert on April 16th. Pretty mellow in comparison to the classic stuff though someone who has heard the surround mix says it sounds fantastic.

Some of the tracks are out on Youtube: