What's new

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Recent high rez disc purchases are The Soft Parade and Morrison Hotel. Some interesting original mix/instrument placement choices noticeable even during casual listening. Looking froward to some sit-down/dedicated listen time to get a deeper exposure to The Doors. Happy to see original engineer Bruce Botnick's involvement in these Analog Productions SACD reissues.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Awesome release, eh, Paul?! :thumbsup:

Yes.

The Nat King Cole Story is excellent as are the other Nat King Cole SACDs I have.

Speaking of Analog Productions and Nat Cole:

Phil et al.: If I only got one of the seminal, Gordon Jenkins-arranged releases from this phase of NKC's career which--in terms of mainly the album content--would get your higher recommendation: Love Is the Thing or The Very Thought Of You?

Last edited:

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Yes.

Speaking of Analog Productions and Nat Cole:

Phil et al.: If I only got one of the seminal, Gordon Jenkins-arranged releases from this phase of NKC's career which--in terms of mainly the album content--would get your higher recommendation: Love Is the Thing or The Very Thought Of You?
For me 'Stardust' is a reference track. So if there was a choice between the two I'd go with the first. I sounds as if he is right there. One of the tracks I listen to if evaluation my digital playback, whether it is changing USB cables or software settings.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I just ordered 3 more SACDs (should be here later today), Jefferson Airplane's 'Surrealistic Pillow' and 'Volunteers' and Janis Ian's 'Breaking Silence.' I have not gotten around to listening to a bunch of purchases (just had the main system temporarily apart for a couple of weeks isolating a problem and have been getting used to the Oppo 203 in a back-up system). The purchases included a bunch of SHM SACDs from the Band, John Lennon, Supertramp, Dire Straits, Leon Russell, The Beach Boys and a few Phil Collins hi-rez downloads (But Seriously, No Jacket Required and Hello I Must Be Going).

After getting the Oppo 203, I rotated the 103D to the master bedroom (which feeds the outdoor speakers so I can use the media control app and select music from my NAS easily) and moved the 93 to the upstairs bonus where I reconfigured a couple of hard drives with CDs and my non-DSD hi-rez. I moved the old modded 83 to the same system where my 203 is and made new cables to put it between my old Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram generator and my preamp so I can have fun with that. Awaiting a new USB cable for the main system and then will move what I use in there now to another back-up system. Then I should be done for a bit and can catch up.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Phil: You've been very kind to me by encouraging me (and explaining to me) about my options with regards to HD music downloading.

And I admit to being recalcitrant to the idea--even though there are a few titles which call out to me.

But I've just recently added an Oppo 203 to my system (paired with a Denon X2000). The Oppo replaces my Pioneer Elite 62FD. This has revived my interest and I've been skulking about HD Tracks again.

I might be pulling the trigger soon on a couple things and start trying things out. :D

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I've heard (but not as yet tried) the (IOS or Android) media control App for the 103 works with the 203 (I'd imagine they will have an official one for the 203). I have played files from my NAS (including DSD) via the 203 (and 103 as well). I don't use that system tons for audio but I do have a hard drive with some multi-channel DSD files that I used with the 103 that I will eventually try. I'm current playing files via analog outs from the playing into my Sherbourn (2-channel preamp with HT Bypass) preamp and they sound quite good. I have a few more SACDs to convert to DSD files as noted.

I have files arranged in folders on my NAS that makes it a bit easier to navigate via my iPhone. For example, Hi-rez classical, non-high rez jazz, rock, etc. I have lots of files. I play files from the NAS from my 103D in the master bedroom as well which feeds the outdoor speakers. I don't use that feature tons (sometimes just internet radio). I don't use that function tons. If I used it more, I might be tempted to use JRiver (on my PC which has the NAS files in its library) via http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=4

For one playing files, where they are from a hard drive attached to the Oppo or from a network device, I'd just advise some organization. Doesn't have to be the same as mine (could be in a folder using someone's name in the household with folders under it by genre for example), just something that makes it easier to navigate things on the Oppo media control App

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The Alan Parsons Project: Tales of Mystery and Imagination Edgar Allan Poe HFPA Blu-ray arrived from Amazon yesterday. It contains both the original 1976 mix in stereo (LPCM 2.0 96kHz/24 bit) as well as a new 2016 5.1 mix in LPCM and DTS-HD MA, also 96/24. I started the 1976 mix last night and even listening on my Vizio 2.1 soundbar in the living room while ironing (don't judge me), it sounds fantastically crisp and punchy, without being compressed or gated. I've heard varying things about the 5.1 mix (which brings in the Orson Welles narration from the 1987 mix, but is a completely new mix from the original multitracks; I'm kind of stunned that the 2 channel 1976 master was on 1/4" reel to reel at 15 ips, but what do I know?), but will bring in my thoughts once I've had a chance to listen.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
After a month of waiting, Amazon UK has e-mailed me saying basically that they are unable to fulfill my order of the Nevermind BD-A. Saw this coming and was able to recently scoop it from a Stateside third party.

Just a "heads up": I've been price tracking these releases for about two years as part of my always ongoing triage of fitting things into the budget sooner that might not be available later (like Twilight Time BDs). In looking at pricing (going up) and inventory (going down), there are a few other "HFPA" titles that appear to be in dwindling supply. Went ahead and got the Nat King Cole and Sam Cooke discs. Have about a dozen others that I want and will have to squeeze in over the course of the next 12 months or so.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The Alan Parsons Project: Tales of Mystery and Imagination Edgar Allan Poe HFPA Blu-ray arrived from Amazon yesterday. It contains both the original 1976 mix in stereo (LPCM 2.0 96kHz/24 bit) as well as a new 2016 5.1 mix in LPCM and DTS-HD MA, also 96/24. I started the 1976 mix last night and even listening on my Vizio 2.1 soundbar in the living room while ironing (don't judge me), it sounds fantastically crisp and punchy, without being compressed or gated. I've heard varying things about the 5.1 mix (which brings in the Orson Welles narration from the 1987 mix, but is a completely new mix from the original multitracks; I'm kind of stunned that the 2 channel 1976 master was on 1/4" reel to reel at 15 ips, but what do I know?), but will bring in my thoughts once I've had a chance to listen.
So my update on this is as follows: I prefer the 1976 mix, but have no real complaints about the 5.1 mix. The 5.1 mix is best described as "subdued". It has an ethereal feel that some may prefer, with the drums a little more buried in the mix than the original mix. The use of the surrounds is quite impressive.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
More Ivan Fischer/Budapest Festival Orchestra (love their Mahler 2) on Channel Classics SACD, this time the Brahms 2.
Sinatra's Songs For Swingin' Lovers on MoFi SACD.
Nirvana's Nevermind and Lionel Richie's Can't Slow Down on BD-A. It's curtains for this format: Nothing new released for many, many months and certain titles are going OOP based upon Amazon (un)availability.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was REALLY hoping for an SACD of Diana Krall's new album--Turn Up the Quiet.

But I guess FLAC files will be what's going to drive me--FINALLY--to download some high-rez files.

I don't even have the CD in my hand yet as I pre-ordered a "Limited Edition" version which has yet to ship. It, supposedly was going to contain a Japanese SHM CD with a DVD of some bonus video stuff...but I think it has been canceled. But no one seems to know for certain.

Not sure what to do.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sinatra's Songs For Swingin' Lovers on MoFi SACD.
Nirvana's Nevermind and Lionel Richie's Can't Slow Down on BD-A. It's curtains for this format: Nothing new released for many, many months and certain titles are going OOP based upon Amazon (un)availability.

Songs for Swingin' Lovers rocks, Paul!

Sorry to hear that about BD-A. I only picked up a few. I guess I should look around to see what's available that I might want. Thanks for the nudge. Have you listened to Can't Slow Down yet?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Songs for Swingin' Lovers rocks, Paul!

Yes, on Swingin'. Especially "I've Got You Under My Skin." When the song hits the break and the brass arrangement and trombone solo kick in, that songs just rips! Have been on a Sinatra kick since recently watching Alex Gibney's terrific documentary All Or Nothing At All. Also recently inherited a lot of my Dad's old vinyl, including some Francis. Trying to decide what albums I wanna get and Swingin' and Only For the Lonely (no high rez) are getting added to the collection (already featuring [non-high] rez Strangers In the Night).

I note MoFi has also released SACDs of Where Are You? and Swingin' Affair. Any comments from anyone on those albums appreciated.

So ironic: Since the mid-80s I've been a huge fan of Linda Ronstadt's recordings with Nelson Riddle (What's New [on DVD-A], Lush Life and For Sentimental Reasons). Now, 30 years later I'm realizing/hearing that what Linda and producer Peter Asher were doing is replicating Nelson's arrangements for Frank from 30 years prior for Linda to sing over.

Also on the Sinatra high rez tip: I discovered that Telarc did a project with Erich Kunzel and a Cincinnati Pops "Big Band" Orchestra Celebrating Sinatra featuring Nelson Riddle arrangements. Available on SACD:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005QZL...UTF8&colid=D6J89BAF6ZNB&coliid=I3IGD82BCL7YY9

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Have you listened to Can't Slow Down yet?

Yes. Casually. Seems wee bass light, but that is likely accurate to the time and because I listen to "too much" Hans Zimmer now. ;) Love cranking "All Night Long" in high rez--sounds nice. Remarkable how Wagnerian popular R&B of that time sounds now compared to the overly hip hopped up sounds of today.

I'm tired of "hearing" myself complain about this issue but it's really unfortunate the way UMG missed the ball on these BD-As: These could have been the definitive releases of these albums had they included all of the b-sides and other bonus content from the previously available Deluxe Edition 2-CD releases such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008LOQ...TF8&colid=282GW5ZTM5S9C&coliid=I1BVIBLE6D2Q9C

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I note MoFi has also released SACDs of Where Are You? and Swingin' Affair. Any comments from anyone on those albums appreciated.

If you like Swingin' Lovers, Paul...you'll LOVE Swingin' Affair. Absolutely terrific! No one was sadder than me when the Sinatra SACD releases dried up before even completing the planned first run.

As for Can't Slow Down, I found a used copy for sale and went ahead and pulled the trigger. It'll be coming to me from the UK so it might take a while to get to me. But I read some online reviews saying the various high-rez releases of this album are revelatory...so I decided to strike before I couldn't find one anywhere.

I went on Amazon.com and searched 'Blu-ray Audio." I checked the first 25(!) pages of hits and didn't seem much of anything that called out to me. I always think I should purchase Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life. But outside of Sir Duke and Isn't She Lovely, I really don't know much about that album (aside from its acclaim). So I guess I've got what I want in the format.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Mike:

Re Sinatra: Yes, I was wondering what happened as I looked at what's available. It's a hopscotch/scattershot situation in terms of availability. I will have to add the subject to my list of topics to Google around about. Any links you have to info on what happened there in terms of not everything that was slated for SA-CD release not getting released would be appreciated.

Re CAN'T SLOW DOWN: I'm only aware of the one high rez release. Curious about what you're referring to when you say "various."

Re "got what [you] want in the format": Here are some you might have missed in the Amazon search.

Tchaikovsky Ballet Suites: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EP2DEQ...UTF8&colid=D6J89BAF6ZNB&coliid=I1LGKSI1AHFEHF

I Fagilioni's ITALIAN VESPERS: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFOS83...=UTF8&colid=D6J89BAF6ZNB&coliid=ITJNSQZNL6L26

"The Ring" cycle w/ Solti conducting: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NU2LSW...UTF8&colid=D6J89BAF6ZNB&coliid=I2APK0ONI19NJD

Handel's "Messiah" (Davis/LSO): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BRGL4L...=UTF8&colid=D6J89BAF6ZNB&coliid=I2FFJRJP2KWVU

Mahler 2 (Mehta/Vienna Phil): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BRGL45...UTF8&colid=D6J89BAF6ZNB&coliid=I21GEF7GZ9B6Y9

Quincy Jones, baby! BIG BAND BOSSA NOVA: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BW7FCN...=UTF8&colid=D6J89BAF6ZNB&coliid=ITSPFIFA6LCUJ

Nina Simone's I PUT A SPELL ON YOU: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BW7FCQ...UTF8&colid=D6J89BAF6ZNB&coliid=I2YUWG0PYITFLM

I'll eventually get all of the foregoing, probably over the next 18 months or so unless I see stock dwindling (like I do already with Simone). Both Stevie Wonder's TALKING BOOK and SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE are on my "to buy" list!

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike:

Re Sinatra: Yes, I was wondering what happened as I looked at what's available. It's a hopscotch/scattershot situation in terms of availability. I will have to add the subject to my list of topics to Google around about. Any links you have to info on what happened there in terms of not everything that was slated for SA-CD release not getting released would be appreciated.

Re CAN'T SLOW DOWN: I'm only aware of the one high rez release. Curious about what you're referring to when you say "various."

Re "got what [you] want in the format": Here are some you might have missed in the Amazon search.

Tchaikovsky Ballet Suites: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EP2DEQ...UTF8&colid=D6J89BAF6ZNB&coliid=I1LGKSI1AHFEHF

I Fagilioni's ITALIAN VESPERS: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFOS83...=UTF8&colid=D6J89BAF6ZNB&coliid=ITJNSQZNL6L26

"The Ring" cycle w/ Solti conducting: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NU2LSW...UTF8&colid=D6J89BAF6ZNB&coliid=I2APK0ONI19NJD

Handel's "Messiah" (Davis/LSO): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BRGL4L...=UTF8&colid=D6J89BAF6ZNB&coliid=I2FFJRJP2KWVU

Mahler 2 (Mehta/Vienna Phil): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BRGL45...UTF8&colid=D6J89BAF6ZNB&coliid=I21GEF7GZ9B6Y9

Quincy Jones, baby! BIG BAND BOSSA NOVA: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BW7FCN...=UTF8&colid=D6J89BAF6ZNB&coliid=ITSPFIFA6LCUJ

Nina Simone's I PUT A SPELL ON YOU: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BW7FCQ...UTF8&colid=D6J89BAF6ZNB&coliid=I2YUWG0PYITFLM

I'll eventually get all of the foregoing, probably over the next 18 months or so unless I see stock dwindling (like I do already with Simone). Both Stevie Wonder's TALKING BOOK and SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE are on my "to buy" list!

I'll see what I can find about the Sinatra recordings. My impression all this time later is that they just weren't finding a market--which I find so hard to believe. But to be fair, they weren't necessarily my picks for the first high-rez Sinatra releases. The two "Swingin'" releases would have been, though, for sure. A high-rez release of the Basie/Sinatra albums would be a very, very good thing. I DO have the DVD-A of Sinatra at the Sands.

As to your recommendations, I already have the London Symphony's Messiah.

I have no interest in Wagner, Mahler or the Tchaikovsky Ballets. That's all on me. I just don't appreciate those works. I could lie about it (heretical as it might seem)...but I'm too old to care if people think my tastes suck. :laugh:

I have, however, just ordered the Vespers disc. If the actual recording of the voices is good, I am very excited about that order. I am tempted by the Quincy Jones but bossa nova was never really my thing (although I have the BA of the Getz/Gilberto pairing!). And since I know nothing about Nina Simone--but have always heard good things, that might also prompt an order--after a little investigating. I am a HUGE Diana Krall fan and Simone's name sometimes pops up in those discussions.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks