What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently?

Paul.S

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul
Mike Frezon said:
I'm not into opera at all...but found a used SACD of a woman singing arias (I honestly can't tell you anything about it right now as I'm at work). Can't identify the woman or the music as they don't mean much to me. But I thought I'd check it out at a decent price anyway. Try to edumacate myself, as it were. I can see myself channeling my inner Andy Dufresne! :biggrin: "I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were signin' about. Truth is, I don't want to know."
A quibble, but an important one: It's Red not Andy who has no idea what the Italian ladies are singing about. Andy's the one who put the Mozart on in the first place. ;)

Grip some Wagner to get into opera, Mike. I recommend "Tristan und Isolde."

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
Paul:

I totally get the Red/Andy situation. I just broke my narrative when I typed that paragraph. I'd be channeling my inner Andy Dufresne by playing the music/opera. But I simply quoted Red to express my lack of understanding of it. :blush: I thought my smiley face would act as a logical break between those two ideas. Reading back on it now though...nope! Bad form on my part. :biggrin:

I have tried me some Wagner in the past and was a bit overwhelmed. There's a couple of Mozart tracks on that disc. I'll see how they go down! :laugh:

ManW_TheUncool

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
ManW
Mike,

In case you did actually want to know what those 2 Italian ladies were singing about, they were singing about how they were going to play a trick on one of their husbands, the count, (in the Marriage of Figaro)... w/ a love note of sorts from the other lady (the lady's maid, Figaro's betrothed) whom the count has been trying to take for his own mistress. :biggrin:

RE: getting into operas, I (and many others) find Verdi and Puccini to be most accessible myself. You should probably give Puccini's La Boheme a try for instance -- the musical Rent is more or less a variation on La Boheme story-wise (and I seem to recall it even makes a specific reference to it). And if you like Miss Saigon, maybe give Puccini's Madame Butterfly a try -- very similar story. Verdi's La Traviata is very popular and easy to enjoy musically, and his Rigoletto isn't far off either in that respect. Many might point you to Verdi's Aida or Puccini's Tosca or Turandot instead, but I suspect La Traviata and La Boheme would make better starting points. And of course, there's also Bizet's Carmen.

IF you can't get into it because you don't understand what they're singing about, maybe try reading the libretto while listening, if you can. OR try watching on BD/DVD, especially now that you have a good size display for that. After a while, you might find it doesn't matter much if you know exactly what they're singing (word-for-word anyway) as they're generally just singing about more or less the same melodramatic things over and over again -- opera lyrics don't exactly make the most sophisticated literature in the world afterall. :P Once you start getting into it, you'll be able to follow along (and enjoy) well enough w/out knowing the exact meaning of what's being sung. :D

For very casual listening, I like this one CD collection of arias I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Amor-Operas-Great-Songs-VARIOUS-ARTISTS/dp/B000009OU8/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-3&qid=1427671006

BTW, Anna Netrebko -- the one featured on your CD -- seems excellent at certain operatic styles like that of La Traviata. I have this version of hers on DVD, which also exists on BD:

http://www.amazon.com/Verdi-Traviata-Anna-Netrebko/dp/B000F3TAOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427671871&sr=8-1&keywords=anna+netrebko+la+traviata

It uses a modern, re-imagined, minimalist set, design and costuming though, which may not be the best way to enjoy this work as a beginner... unless you really don't like the more traditional, period sets, design and costuming.

Personally, I like this one more... although my DVD got eaten by a coworker/friend's player, so I replaced w/ a later BD version w/ the same opera star in the lead role:

http://www.amazon.com/Verdi-Traviata-Richard-Gheorghiu-Lopardo/dp/B000059QY3/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1427672139&sr=8-5&keywords=la+traviata

Cheers!

_Man_

Reactions: Mikael Soderholm

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Reaction score
Real Name
Russell
Picked up some of the new Lou Reed 192/24 hi-rez downloads from HDTracks. NEW YORK, SONGS FOR DRELLA and MAGIC AND LOSS all sound fantastic, better than the CD from my memory. I picjed up the Studio Albums Collection not realizing that SET THE TWILIGHT REELING was only CD quality. Lame since I won the disc.Oh well, at least I had a coupon code so it wasn't too much over what the individual titles would of been. Haven't listened to ECSTASY yet.

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
I picked up Dylan's Planet Waves the other day on SACD.

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
I still haven't taken a bite of the HDTracks apple yet.

Life is just too damn busy...

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
Russell G said:
I only did due to my PONOOOOOOOO! :)
I hate being "that guy" but...

???

PONOOOOOOOO? :biggrin:

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
:laugh:

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Reaction score
Real Name
Russell
Bjork - Vulnicura : Played this one this morning and really enjoyed it. It's a 48/24bit download, but don't let the lower numbers fool you, this one sounds great. Her voice is amazing as always, and the mix of acoustic and digital instruments are impressive. This one has rightly been described as her "Blood on the Tracks", and the brutally honest songs seem both at odds and perfectly matched by the hip-hop style beats mixed with what sounds like a chamber quartet. I'll have to spin this one a few more times.

Paul.S

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul
A "splurge" of CD and high rez purchases recently upon unboxing, cataloging (Collectors.com) and getting my music collection back up on the shelves after a recent move. I realized there are quite a few reissues I want to get and Amoeba has been accepting nearly every trade-in, original release CD I've gone in with.

After hemming and hawing over the Perceptions box set for years, I found the The Doors L.A. Woman DVD-A for a good price at Amoeba recently and finally bought it. I think I'll skip Perceptions and get the new Analogue Productions SA-CDs of The Soft Parade and maybe Morrison Hotel. The 480p PQ may look dodgy on my 82" display, but I still dig photo galleries, music videos, onscreen lyrics and other little vid biscuits that DVD-A offers which SA-CD can not.

Phil A

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Phil
I just ordered Styx's "Paradise Theater" on SHM SACD from CD Japan (they have a first time sale on some SHM SACDs). I also ripped the Doors SACDs. Have not as yet had time to compare them to the DVD-A versions (I had the DSD file of "Light My Fire" on the Audio Fidelity SACD release of mixed oldies but did not get around to comparisons as I was on vacation and just came back from the Capital Audiofest - should be interesting when I get around to it). HDTracks has a sale too and I have not gotten to look at what I might want.

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Reaction score
Real Name
Russell
Creedence Clearwater Revival self titled. Picked this up as a 192/24bit FLAC download. Sounds awesome considering it probably wasn't recorded under the best conditions in the first place. Crank it up and wear a rain slicker to catch your brains as they melt from the swampy goodness.

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
HD Tracks, Russ?

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
I gotta dip my toe in that pool...

Mikael Soderholm

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Just picked up Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds SACD (used from Amazon.co.uk). Haven't had a chance to listen yet, but the reviews are promising.

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/3122

Can't believe how I apparently missed this at the time of its original release.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qsaufraqe