What's new

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
CALI_9860_SA__51684__01152009123500-9043.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
51wlMMFHoLL.jpg

Track Listings
1. Does Anybody Really Know (Chicago) 2. Listen To The Music (The Doobie Brothers) 3. Good Lovin (The Rascals) 4. Tonight's The Night (Rod Stewart) 5. Running On Empty (Jackson Browne) 6. In the Air Tonight (Phil Collins) 7. Time of the Season (The Zombies) 8. How Long (Ace) 9. Dixie Chicken (Little Feat) 10. Truckin (Grateful Dead) 11. Love the One You're With (Stephen Stills) 12. For What It's Worth (Buffalo Springfield) 13. Sister Golden Hair (America) 14. Back on the Chain Gang (The Pretenders) 15. Feels Like the First Time (Foreigner) 16. Daniel (Elton John) 17. Nights In White Satin (The Moody Blues)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
51-BODHMm9L.jpg

Track Listings
1. Wild Thing (The Troggs) 2. Smoke On the Water (Deep Purple) 3. Spirit In the Sky (Norman Greenbaum) 4. Bang A Gong.. Get it On (T.Rex) 5. Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac) 6. Blinded By the Light (Manfred Mann's Earth Band) 7. Spill The Wine (Eric Burdon & War) 8. Lola..Live (The Kinks) 9. Light My Fire (The Doors) 10. Slow Ride (Foghat) 11. Schools Out (Alice Cooper) 12. Smokin In the Boys Room (Brownsville Station) 13. China Grove (The Doobie Brothers) 14. Hot Blooded (Foreigner) 15. Can't Get Enough (Bad Company) 16. Free Bird (Lynyrd Skynyrd) 17. Casey Jones (Grateful Dead)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I haven't heard that one (I'll need to check it out), but to my ear this one is wonderful.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
This seems like the right thread to discuss this. I just picked up the Blu-ray High Fidelity Pure Audio disc of Beck's Sea Change. It's my first hi-res purchase since my DualDisc of Carly Simon's Moonlight Serenade, and includes both the Stereo and 5.1 mixes of the album in dts-HDMA and PCM, both in 24-bit/192 KHz sampling rates. I know some of these discs have a reputation for being sourced from "modern" compressed and distorted masters, but that's definitely not the case here. If you don't have the album in a hi-res format yet (the SACD and DVD-A discs fetch fairly high prices these days), I would encourage a buy.
uniba44451.jpg

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Also just received the HFPA release of Queen's A Night at the Opera, which is a 24 bit/96 KHz release, also in both 2.0 and 5.1 mixes. Have only sampled Death on Two Legs and The Prophet's Song in 5.1 so far, but still quite stunning. The 2.0 mix is Bob Ludwig's 2011 remaster, while the 5.1 comes from 2005. I've heard good things about the HFPA release of Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life, so that may be my next purchase.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Just listened to it tonight. Bohemian Rhapsody is so ingrained in the public conscious that I wanted to sample some of my favourite deep album cuts first. I was not disappointed in the least. My next HFPA purchase will be sooner rather than later. Skipping Nevermind and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road on HFPA because DVD Beaver tells me they're from the brickwalled remasters and while you can't rely on the Beaver's screencaps, the spectrum analysis graphs don't lie. Now to track down the Blu-ray Audio of Primus' Sailing the Seas of Cheese........

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Wow, just received Quadrophenia - blu ray pure audio, and WOW is this something. Had some trouble buying (from WOW HD) as they, like many others, have trouble distinguishing between the recent Live In London blu and the blu ray pure audio, but I gambled, and got it right. I may buy the live version as well, at some point, but since it's just half of Who, I'm not sure.
I have loved this since its release, and bought the 2CD remaster back in the late 90s, but passed on the deluxe from a few years back, but this is really it. Surround mix in 24/96 sounds absolutely marvellous, a truly timeless piece of music, and surround is the way it was meant to be heard.

Love Reign Over Me!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Mikael, would you recommend a blind buy? I've gone through 43 years on this planet without having heard Quadrophenia, but I do like The Who generally speaking.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Well, what can I say ;)? I have loved this since it came out, but I am only a lukewarm Who-fan when it comes to the rest of their material. I recognize their influence, of course, but, I listen much more to Zeppelin, Stones, even Sabbath, from that period and genre, although Won't Get Fooled of course is a great song.

Now, having lived with this music for so long, I can't imagine living without it, nor can I even begin to think how it would sound to someone who has never heard it; maybe you had to be there when it came out to appreciate it, or maybe it is a timeless classic, like I think, but what do I know?
Soundwise, I'd say if you want it, the Blu pure audio is the one to get, it has surround as well as stereo in hi-rez, but why don't you check it out on Spotify or similar first.
Or just go for it, even if you are disappointed, it is not a hell of a lot of money!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Stephen_J_H said:
Mikael, would you recommend a blind buy? I've gone through 43 years on this planet without having heard Quadrophenia, but I do like The Who generally speaking.
I'm not Mikael, but if you like other Who material, I would definitely recommend a blind buy. Quadrophenia is different, but brilliant with some of the best Who songs ever recorded. I didn't fully appreciate it until recently when I started listening to it a lot in anticipation of their tour (which was better than I expected, BTW).

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Stephen_J_H said:
If you like The Who, and Tommy by The Who, you should really like Quadrophenia. I don't listen much to rock music anymore, but when I did, Quadrophenia was one of my favorite albums. It was one of the first CDs I purchased when CDs came out.

Besides, having lots of great songs, it is the story of a guy during the mods/rockers period in Britain who is not nearly as complex as he thinks he is. He thinks he is so complex that he not only has schizophrenia, he has quadrophenia. What makes the album interesting to me is that the songs are eloquent and beautiful on their own, yet in the context of the young man's story, he comes off as very banal and shallow. Like Tommy, many of the songs won't make a lot of sense out of the context of the main character's narcissistic droning. The original LP had a written prologue that set the stage for what is to follow musically.

I put off listening to the double album for a long time because it seemed like a long book. However, once I took the plunge, I immediately knew it was a classic. It probably sounds amazing in high res (particularly 5:15).

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Currently listening to on Spotify and enjoying so far; I think I may take the plunge. Thanks for the suggestion, Mikael.

On another note, got the HFPA release of Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life, which is strictly 2.0 24/96, but sounds wonderful. Nothing holds a candle to Sea Change, though; that album is achingly beautiful in 5.1 24/192.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Steely Dan's Two Against Nature dropped to a price I could afford so I'm finally getting that DVD-A. I've heard all the accolades over the years so I'm looking forward to having it soon.

Just was reminded recently that Astor Piazzolla's Tango: Zero Hour is on SA-CD. Watched a BBC docu on Astor recently and it rekindled my interest in upgrading my CD of that album. If anyone has that disc and/or Yo-Yo Ma's Soul Of the Tango Piazzolla tribute SA-CD and has SQ (or other) comments, please chime in.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Finally broke down and bought Quadrophenia. Will be giving the 5.1 a listen next week. Found it odd that there was no download code included, since my other 3 HFPA titles had them. I prefer hi-res, but the downloads are nice for in-car listening. Anyone else who has this, did yours come with the download code or no?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Snap! "We" forgot to "do" something on the last page to celebrate this thread's 10-year (!) anniversary. Well, I guess those of us still participating . . . bought stuff! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks