What's new

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (1 Viewer)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Paul.S said:
Anyone have the Miles Davis Tutu DVD-A? Comments please? Wondering if I should cough up the bucks for a copy after getting inspired recently by a Miles tribute concert at the Hollywood Bowl.
It is pretty good. I have the CD too and the CD sounds bad vs. the DVD-A.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thanks, Phil. It's too bad that, after five-plus years of price-watching, some DVD-A and SA-CD prices are just not dropping. I really don't wanna pay $80+ for Toys In the Attic. Or ~$50 for the Tutu DVD-A. I'm so glad I got a lotta titles back in the day that are pricey now, like Sinatra At the Sands. It's so much easier on the wallet to just get cheap BDs and even cheaper CDs (I still continue to buy the latter at a rate of a couple per month).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I had a nice find today.

I was searching an out-of-town music store and stumbled upon a used DTS 5.1 DVD of Steve Miller's Fly Like an Eagle.

It was just $7.99, too. But I actually got it for free as it was the cheapest item in a transaction with three other used items that was "Buy Three Used Items, Get One Free."

My sampling tonight indicates this is a pretty aggressive surround mix...just like I like 'em!

cb6e07f0_FlyLikeanEagleDTS.jpeg

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Paul.S said:
Thanks, Phil. It's too bad that, after five-plus years of price-watching, some DVD-A and SA-CD prices are just not dropping. I really don't wanna pay $80+ for Toys In the Attic. Or ~$50 for the Tutu DVD-A. I'm so glad I got a lotta titles back in the day that are pricey now, like Sinatra At the Sands. It's so much easier on the wallet to just get cheap BDs and even cheaper CDs (I still continue to buy the latter at a rate of a couple per month).
Paul - so true. I remember when there were a few copies of Ellington's Blues in Orbit SACD left when it was still current and I felt a bit uncomfortable coughing up $35. Seems like nothing now as they probably go for $200 and new issues of many of the SACDs coming out now are $30 or more. I look at some of the prices of what things go for and then I don't feel bad even paying for an SHM SACD now.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
just received Alice Coopers Billion Dollar Babies in the Mail it is the DVD-A.. I am going to listen to it tomorrow when my new Amp for my HSU sub gets delivered..

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Not a software purchase but . . . Finally got the Oppo BDP-93 (call me paranoid, but I'm concerned about Cinavia causing a whole new batch of BD playback issues; that and a small price break on a refurbished unit direct from Oppo tipped me towards the 93 instead of the new 103). Looking forward to having DVD-A and m.c. SA-CD back in the living/viewing/listening room.
Not as much traffic in this thread these days, so I'll put this query out there early: If anyone gets the BD audio-only release of Zeppelin's Celebration Day come November, please post some comments.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I didn't know there was one for Nylon Curtain. Was this from a used store?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok looks like the are Mofi releases.
The two I have we're original releases from years ago.
I picked them up at Frys a few years ago for $15 each.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Rachael B said:
I got 3 Mofi, Billy Joel SA-CD's, Glass Houses, The Nylon Curtain, and 52nd Street.
After a quick peek at SA-CD.net, it looks like the only album on which there is overlap between what Sony did back in the day and the MFSL re-issues is 52nd Street. Too bad MFSL largely continues to "only" support stereo on their releases and not multichannel.
Rachael, as I'm sure you had (still have?) the original Sony SA-CD, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to hear any comparative comments between the original 52nd Street's stereo layer and the new MFSL.
About to spin the Barenboim / Berliner Staatskapelle Beethoven 4 & 5 DVD-A I just got in the mail today. $5.96 on Amazon Marketplace. (I dig it when bookstores get a hold of some high rez stuff, apparently don't know what it is and thus price it below "market.")

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I do have the Sony 52nd Street which I have not listened for many years. I listened to 52nd Street this afternoon, the Mofi. I was gonna listen to all 3 newbies but the phone kept ringing and the dog wanted to pee and I didn't get on to the other two. I just don't recall much about the old Sony version without getting it out. I played 52nd Street on my XA777ES player. I still have it. I might get the old 52nd Street out sometime this week. I doubt it sounds remarkably different.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thanks, Rachael. Further sauce for the goose though is that my understanding from a friend who compared Sony's original stereo SA-CD to the re-release which features both stereo and a surround track is that the stereo track is better on the re-release than the original SA-CD.
John Legend's Get Lifted SA-CD arrives in the mail today. An overdue purchase recently compelled by finally getting the newer Oppo player. Looking forward.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I love this hobby! I just picked up a copy of the SACD of Elton John and have been taken back in time to 1970 (was 1970 really 42 years ago?!? ).

The multi-channel mix on this is just beautiful and really serves to place Elton's "clear as a bell" vocals front-and-center in the midst of the instrumentation of the players. Its done beautifully. I started with the two channel-mix (which also sounded so perfect)...but the multi-channel mix has easily won me over (which it usually does).

As I wait for delivery n a new, bigger display I am spending more time doing some straight-up "listening" as I want to wait for the new TV to watch a number of titles.

I have had this title in my Amazon cart for many months and noticed that it had dipped to $10.xx a week or so ago. I jumped. And I'm glad I did! I only know a few of the songs on this CD but I am having a grand time discovering the rest.

And "Your Song" (the track here I know best) is an absolute revelation in how glorious it sounds.

What fun!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I picked up the recent Billy Joel MoFi SACDs, King Crimson Discipline DVD-A, and Emerson Lake and Palmers recent DVD-As. I have not listened to any of them yet, but I did unearth and listen to Flim & The BB's Tricycle SACD which sounds fantastic and is now very hard to come by.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Emerson Lake & Palmer (self-titled) and Tarkus are available as remastered CDs with a DVD-A disc in stereo and 5.1. I got them from Amazon.
Look for the Deluxe Editions.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
@Mike F.: Right on re Elton John. All five of his catalog high rez releases are fine. I still have Peachtree Road on my list of discs to buy. Are you still listening to high rez on the Pio 563A?
@Danny Tse: How is that Mahler "Song Of the Earth" Living Stereo SACD? Do the liner notes include English translations?
Just saw Rush on November 19 at Universal Amphitheater. A particularly great show as they focused more on their 80s output, playing half of my fave album from them, Power Windows (1985). And the David Campbell string ensemble that accompanied them in the second half of the concert was terrific.
And was happy to randomly see this on Amazon--a 20-year old Rush album being re-released on SACD.
http://www.amazon.com/Counterparts-Rush/dp/B00A93ENI8/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp
Recent DualDiscs include DMB's Stand Up and Keane's Hopes and Fears (since the SACD is so damned expensive).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks