What height should surrounds be set at?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Hsu, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Switched rooms in the apartment, so I'm finally gonna mount my surrounds...and I just want to make sure what height to mount them at.
    Sorry for the relatively simple question, but I figure I'll find the answer fastest this way. [​IMG]

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Dolby would suggest 2-3 ft above ear level while seated. I mounted my dipoles ata height of 6.5ft.

3. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

About ear level when standing is what I was told. I guess that's close to 2-3 ft above ear level while seated.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

This was my experience: I had small bookshelf type dipoles originally. Put them up on cat trees, about 6 ft high. Liked the sound well enough.
    But then I got bipolar towers for the rears (were up front, replaced the fronts and moved the fronts to the back). So now the driver elements are in the same plane as my ears. Me, myself, and I? I felt that I was *in* the sound field more, as opposed to before, when I felt that I was *below* it. (1st 20 min of Saving Private Ryan cinched that feeling.) But you have to do the comparison before you can even suspect to notice that a difference like that would even be possible. If that makes sense! [​IMG]
    I know that 30" or so above ear level is what everyone (or most people) recommend. But I liked the effect with the tweeters at ear level better.
    Bottom line? I would recommend to try a few different heights, and then decide from there which you prefer.

5. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I put my surrounds 3 feet above ear level and about 2 feet behind basically just so I don't have to listen to the hiss they make.
    My surrounds are 2 Altec Lansing PC satellites powered by 16 watts RMS from a multimedia amp built into the 6.5" sub. The volume has to nearly be maxed to achieve something close to reference which explains the hiss. [​IMG]

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

7. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

8. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

9. Fong

Fong Stunt Coordinator

i also have my surrounds (axiom qs4 - quadpole) at ear level a few feet behind the listening position. i chose this setup because it sounded better than having them a few feet above ear level. this setup may work well for me because of the quadpole design, but i would recommend that you at least give it a try.

10. David Yevin

David Yevin Agent

tonytone:
    you might look into these
    they might fight your criteria...
    david

11. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Rich--they're really nice, but too rich for my blood...[​IMG]
    David--any anecdotal comments regarding wooden vs. metal stands? I mean, there has to be a reason why there are wood and metal ones. Or to put things in perspective--what type would most people (prefer) to buy?
    Thanks!