What headphones to buy?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Robert CH, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Robert CH

Robert CH Auditioning

I need some help with selecting a pair of headphones. I have an Onkyo 600E receiver and would like something in the $150.00 range. Also, I would like to run an extension cable about 20 feet from the receiver to the headphones, is this possible?

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

grados and sennheisers are nice in that range.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Please note that the Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner's level, not for specific model recommendations. Thanks.

4. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

I just got a pair of Sennheiser 590 headphones for $200. I think you could find them new on ebay for a tad less than that. I haven't heard them yet, but I'm expecting to be impressed.

Matt

5. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

It depends what kind of sound you like. If you like a more laid back, accurate sound I recommend the Senns. But if you like livelier more exciting sound, well suited to rock music I recommend Grados. I think SR-125s or 225s should be in that price range. I have SR-80s and they sound fantastic.

A 20 foot extension shouldn't be a problem provided the cable is of adequate quality.

6. Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling Stunt Coordinator

I've had a pair of Sennheiser 580's for about a year and a half now, and they are simply stunning - no two ways about it. Plus, with the open air design, you can actually HEAR things going on around you! I wear mine at work, and even though I play them loud, I can hear the telephone, can hear people speaking to me, etc. etc.

For portable headphones, the creme de la creme is the Etymotics series. I've got the Etymotics 4P for when I fly, as I use the DVD player on my laptop and plug the headphones into that.

7. Bret Pritchett

Bret Pritchett Stunt Coordinator

I have Sennheiser - best $100 I've ever spent.

8. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Another question:

I don't have a reciever, just a mono TV and DVD player. I don't have the $$$ to purchase a full audio surround system, but would it be possible and/or worth it to spend around $100 for a high quality set of headphones?

My DVD player has an input right on the front labeled "PHONES". Could I just plug them right in and enjoy a noticeable (and hopefully stereo) increase in sound quality?

EDIT: and this would be strictly for DVD watching, no music.

9. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

Yeah that sounds like it would be a good solution. THe only thing I'd be worried about is the quality of the headphone output. The one of my RCA player is crap but yours is probably better. You could always add a headphone amp later too. For movies only the Senns would be a better choice. The Grado Series is mostly praised for their very musical sound, not their accuracy.