What have you been paying for the Hitachi 51SWX20B??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James R. Geib, Dec 23, 2002.

1. James R. Geib

James R. Geib Stunt Coordinator

I had decided to purchase a Pioneer SD533 about 8 months ago, and have been saving money since then for the purchase. The SD533 has no digital input (DVI nor IEEE), so it is likely it may be difficult to keep up with changes in HDTV technology with the set.
    In the meantime, the Hitachi SWX and XWX series has come out, and I believe I have decided to purchase the Hitachi 51SWX20B in lieu of the Pioneer. The screen size is a little smaller (51" versus 53"), but the picture quality of the hitch is excellent, and it has a DVI input.
    Has anyone else purchased this t.v. from Circuit City or online, and if so, what have you been paying.
    I know a salesman (counselor!) at CC since I worked there about 6 years ago, and he still does. He said he could knock 10% off the T.V., taking the total with a 4 year extended warranty to $2880, but I imagine I could "Take it home today for $2750!".
    What do you guys/gals think of my choice and price?? [​IMG]

2. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

actually,putting all subjective brand loyalty aside.All RPTV's have their own little "problems"in various area's.From what I have seen,once put in the proper enviroment,NOT THE STORE[​IMG] ,and with some set up Avia,Video Essentials,etc.All the name brand RPTV's will look pretty simalar.You just have to decide which problems with each brand is the least bothersome to you.Of course ,now you will get about 100 posts as to why"------ brand is junk,and ...... y brand is soooo much better.Look at it this way,if some brands are such total junk,how can they still be in business?Granted some have better repair history than others,but overall,if you like the picture,like the various "bells and whistles"that come with it ,get it.[​IMG] There WILL ALWAYS be someone who says it is junk,and someone who says it is a gift from GOD.[​IMG]

3. Peter Patentcad

I have to disagree strongly with the statement that 'all the name brand RPTV's will look pretty similar'. That's not what the reviewers say and is a far cry from my experience. I shopped for an RPTV for about a month, did a ton of research and was able to view all the candidates in person in stores, some more than once. The winner, hands down was the Hitachi 57SWX20B, for which I paid $2600 (and the store included a five year in-home service contract). The 51" version of this set can be had for about $2200 if you shop hard enough. I'm in the New York metro area, so appliance pricing is very competitive.

I thought that the Hitachi SWX sets offered very naturalistic looking pictures with a touch of red push and a bit of overly lime green colorization on things like trees. This is nit-picking, overall the HItachi generates pictures that are spectacular, particularly with progressive scan DVD. The set also does a remarkable job at making ordinary cable broadcasts look presentable, no small feat on a 57" set which magnifies every video flaw to the Nth degree. The only sets that compared to the Hitachis were Mitsubishis and Pioneer Elite RPTV's that cost considerably more. The Hitachi's are a bargain. Also, go to the Hitachi website and download the brochure for Hitachi RPTV's and see how they're constructed.

Ultimately all RPTV's are NOT created equal. If it were that easy it wouldn't have taken me a month to select a TV and I would have spent less money (you can get a 55" HD compatible RPTV for under $2000 if you're willing to buy a lesser unit). I have to qualify my statements with this confession: I'm a graphic arts professional, and my visual standards are more selective and demanding than those of the average consumer. It is very possible that somebody saying that 'all RPTV's look pretty similar' really does perceive things that way. If that's your outlook, then you can save money by purchasing the cheapest TV with the features you're seeking. If you're like me however, the Sony RPTV's will look too contrasty and won't show enough detail, the Panasonics will look washed out, and the better sets (Hitachi, MItsubishi and to some extent Toshiba) will stand out for you. PIoneer Elite makes a nice RPTV but it is over $5K which put it over my price range. That set doesn't offer any signifigant improvements over the Hitachi to my eyes and is double the price.

I would refer you to the Nov./Dec. issue of 'The Perfect Vision' magazine (issue #45) for a full review of the Hitachi 57SWX20B. The reviewer was so impressed with the set that he purchased one for his own home system.

4. Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M Second Unit

James,
    Without any serious haggling what so ever today CC offered me the 51SWX20B for 2299.00, if I shop around town I’m sure it could be had for less.