What's new

what have I gotten myself into???? (1 Viewer)

scottNA

Auditioning
About 2 weeks ago I was asked by one of my friends if I knew of anyone that was interested in a 6 month old Dell 2300mp projector for $600.I asked around and know one I knew was interested.
I thought about it a couple of days and decided to check it out myself.I called him and he had me come over and watch a movie.Thats all it took, about 2 seconds into the movie I knew I had to have.
While watching the movie in my head I was thinking of what room I was going to have it in ,what kind of speaker system I was going to have?What kind of furniture?ect...
I bought the projector and rushed it home to show everyone.I acted as if this projector was the ultimate toy of every mans dreams.I didn't get the exciting response that I hoped for when I got home.My wife looked at me as if we really needed something like that.
That night I set it up and we watch our first movie.My wife and kids were so happy I got the projector and to watch a movie on a 4'x8' screen.(I have a sheet of sheet rock clamped to a saw horse in our living room for our screen).
I used our speaker system from our computer and it worked but I knew I had to have a surround sound.
The next day I went out shopping for a surround sound system.I was planning on something cheap to start off with($50-$100)Until we get our theater room done and get a nice system. So Iwent to walmart to get a system and when I got there I did a comparison.Well I guess I don't have to tell you people that in the price range I was looking for sounded like [email protected] wasn't sold on any of the systems at walmart so I went down to the local store and ended up getting the RCA st2680.
I rushed it home and hooked it up the invited my parents over to watch King Kong last night and what a difference the sound makes.

I guess I better get started with the theater room because with temp sheetrock screen and and all the speaker wires taped to the floor our living room looks pretty bad.

Well thats my story to my new obsession and I wanted to say hello to everyone and looking forward to sharing helpful info.

GregDas

Auditioning
Hello there.. and welcome to your new obsession.
Make sure you take pics of the theater room as you get it done and put them in the Gallery area for all to see.

Soon, you'll have hundreds of DVD's and you'll be re-watching all of your favorites you haven't seen in a while.

Greg

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Welcome to the Forum Scott, and congrats on your projector! :D

Hate to ruin your day, Scott, since you’re new here and all, but you can do soo-o-o much better than that RCA system in the audio department. It’s not even entry-level for most of us here. :) I hesitate to send you to your local Tweeter or other home theater specialty store, since your budget is so low, but if you do you’ll hear what an amazing improvement in audio you can realize. However, given your wife’s reaction to the projector, that might be a recipe for divorce court. :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
Just wait til you're building your own speakers and sanding and lacquering them in your living room because there's not enough room in the garage :D

Mike Mitrook

Agent
Welcome on board. Just to warn you, it is never ending. I just upgraded my speakers across the front and am already thinking I'll need to do the surrounds next to keep pace. It all started with a 20" tv, stereo receiver & HiFi VCR. Needless to say it's nowhere close to that now...

scottNA

Auditioning

I do alot of woodworking and would like to build my own speakers.I know its more to it than just building a box and throwing a speaker in it.So wher can I find imfo on DIY speakers?

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
WELCOME to the never ending Upgrade-itis Club, you will love the ride, just get a second job or win the lotto...:)

KurtJ

Stunt Coordinator
I hope you enjoy your new hobby. But beware, be prepared for the wife's questions, like, 'do you really NEED that tool to make your...(whatever)? pretty soon your contractor saw will not be enough and you'll want a router, planer, jointer, and clamps. you can never have enough clamps

Travis

Second Unit
Welcome. I would recommend sitting down, if you haven't done so already, and putting together a budget. After you have your budget figured out; double it, add 1,000, double it again, and you'll be pretty close to the final amount. :)

KeithMoechnig

Stunt Coordinator
I thought I was done last year August with a big screen. Now I've got a better big screen and still need to paint the room, acoustic treatments, build the second sub, build the final audio rack, build a screen, it never ends.

JawhnM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jawhn MacCaine

I'd actually like to see pics of your current setup (brings back memories).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks