What's new

What has happened to Hi-Def? (1 Viewer)

ToddJ

Second Unit
I remember when I first saw a High-Definition television at Best Buy several years ago, the picture looked amazing....however, in recent years whenever I see one in stores, in looks nowhere near as good.....Are the TVs now not as good as that one? Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I do know what you mean. However, I think it's just we are getting used to seeing high quality. I remember how my jaw dropped when I first watched "Heat" on DVD --- the quality amazed me. Now, even a reference quality DVD for today's standards doesn't have the same impact and my eye is even more critically trained for flaws, etc.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I've read that now that they are more channels, there's a bandwidth issue that makes some channels not so great. I'll try to see if I can find a link to where I read that.

JackLonn

Agent
Maybe there's a new bunch of sales folks that don't know squat about setting up a TV. I'm absolutly amazed how horrible every TV looks at CC. There's not one that I would even consider buying if all I had to go by was the display model. Even the TVs at Costco look worlds better.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I think that is it JackLonn, It was so new, that every one of them, were calibrated and setup with much care, now they are just thrown on the shelf, hooked up, turned on and displayed. It is just not special enough anymore to warrant, that kind of setup on every set, because now every set is HDTV.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
My local SEARS has an excellant buch of ignorant wretches working in TV these days. 16:9 RPTV's with the picture zoomed out (because HDTV needs black bars). analog cable hooked-up to the plasmas, a Samsung DLP with a very green picture setting. Not one TV in the whole store is adjusted to anywhere near correct levels.

I mentioned this to a salesman and got this reply:

"I'm here to sell the TV's, not make them look better".

And everyone I know wonders why I have to research everything I buy on the internet first.:rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks