What has Artisan been working on instead of Twin Peaks S2? How about SPEED RACER!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Feb 6, 2003.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Speed Racer - Collector's Edition

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It's the same disc as the "signature selection"

It's still dubbed and butchered

NO OSL NO SALE!

3. Chucky P

Chucky P Supporting Actor

Charles Paulsen
    Oh come on! Who does not love?

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Speed Racer? Who wants that?

I want my Mach Go Go Go w/ original Japanese and no cuts. Otherwise, no sale [​IMG]

5. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

While I have no doubt that the OSL series is better, Speed Racer dubbed is the only way I've seen it. It is the Speed Racer of my youth when it was my favorite cartoon. I have no problem owning the Speed Racer that I remember and love. I only hope we get the whole series.

6. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Yeah, I feel the same way about SPEED RACER as I do about ROBOTECH. While I'm very interested in seeing the originals, it was the dubbed version that I grew up with. The high-speed delivery and sometimes nonsensical dialogue makes what could be a so-so adventure series into a comic tour-de-force.

7. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

If it's 11 episodes on 1 disc, there's going to be horrible compression problems like the limited edition release.

8. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I don't care... you can have Speed Racer if you want (buy the Limited Edition release!), I just want Mach Go Go Go.

What is this Speed Racer show that you speak of? [​IMG]

I personally don't know why you wouldn't want your "favorite cartoon" or "the one you grew up with" in it's original/correct form on DVD (or at least a hybrid with a choice), do you also want films from your childhood to be panned and scanned like you probably watched them? [​IMG]

Have you ever seen the edited version of Brazil? [​IMG]

9. David Lambert

Rob, that's getting kinda mean. This is like Sentai vs. Power Rangers. There was a clear-cut different Americanized version of the show ("Speed Racer") than the original Japanese version of the show ("Mach Go Go") that the producers of the American version drew from to convert.

I've never seen the Japanese version of the show. It seems that Brook hasn't either, and we feel the same way: we want to see the Americanized show we loved as kids, complete with its changed-from-the-Japanese content.

Brian says it well: "While I'm very interested in seeing the originals, it was the dubbed (AND BUTCHERED, DON'T FORGET BUTCHERED! - DAVE) version that I grew up with. The high-speed delivery and sometimes nonsensical dialogue makes what could be a so-so adventure series into a comic tour-de-force."

I was reasonably sure that this disc was the first 2-sided disc from the "Signature" set; and Jeff is saying that I'm thinking right. That's fine and dandy. But, if there was going to be any different content, I wouldn't mind as a supplement having one of the episodes (the first one, or the 'best' one; whatever) in the "Mach Go Go" version so I can compare the differences. Not an out-and-out "hybrid with a choice" from where I sit; just a sample. It would be nice to know what the fuss was about for guys like Jeff and Rob. For true fans of Mach Go Go, I'm sure that the series discs are or (sooner or later) will be available in Japan for them to import.

Folks like me and Brook and Brian (and three of my best friends, all non HTF-ers) would clearly be buying this for different reasons than anime' fans woud be.

10. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Sorry if I sounded a little harsh... I just don't think it is right not to get an option for us Japanese-animation-watchers. Now that Dave has spoken I KINDA understand what you are trying to say. To tell ya the truth, I have never seen the Japanese version either, but when I found out a couple of years ago about the changes... it piqued my interest. [​IMG]

I should probably stay out of this thread... continue with your conversation as if I wasn't here. Here, I'll give you a topic: a peanut is neither a pea nor a nut... discuss [​IMG]

11. David Lambert

Ummm...how about I just point out that DVDEmpire now lists the same Speed Racer disc, and they show it for 50 minutes (which sounds too short for 11 eps, but then again they don't give an ep count so that could still be wrong, too). OTOH, their price is even better at $14.94!! [​IMG]

12. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

14. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

Okay, the title of this thread is scaring me. Is it really INSTEAD OF Peaks Season 2? As in they aren't going to do Season 2, or that it's been delayed because of SR? Has there been an official announcement from Artisan but there's some sort of conspiracy to keep increasingly frustrated Peaks fans from knowing about it? Or is it just a joke, which if it is I must say NOT FUNNY and don't scare me like that!

15. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

It's too bad we can't learn things as quickly as Neo did in The Matrix. I'd be all over learning Japanese and picking up the original Yamato and Mach Go Go Go series from Japan. Of course, I'd need about $1200 to buy them.

In the meantime, we're stuck with what we can get.

16. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

11 episodes? Since the majority of the episodes were two-parters, wouldn't this leave the disc with a cliff-hanger?

17. David Lambert

18. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Personally, I'd rather hear that they've finally finished those Ninja Turtle season sets and then I'd be happy [​IMG].