what happens if polk rt1000i are biwired

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven Hallett, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Steven Hallett

I have asked on this forum if it is better to biwire my polk speakers,most of the replys said yes. I decided to emailed polk and see what they had to say . you can biwire your cs400i center but not your rt1000i.Even though they have 2 sets of binding posts you can not. True biwiring is 'splitting' the information that is sent to the tweeter and mid range driver(s), for example on the cs400i the top set sends the information to the tweeter and the bottom set sends the information to the two mid range drivers. In the rt1000i, the top set of binding posts sends the information to the tweeter AND the mid range driver. And the bottom set to the sub driver, this not true biwiring. Polk says, the best way to connect the rt1000i's is to leave the gold plates that connect the two sets of binding posts and just use 16 or 14 gauge speaker wire from the top set of binding posts to the receiver front, left and right terminals. Taken the gold plates off and using rca cable tends to introduce hum and/or interference to your system and in many cases diminished bass response.

Any response to what polk has told me would be appreciated.

Steve

P.S.

How do I reply to the people that have answered my posts?

2. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Thats funny... I have owned the RT1000i's and recal a bit in the manual for them about bi-wireing them... You can still bi-wire them..however instead of the tweeter/mid being seperated...your seperating the high pass/low pass..wich still could make quite an improvement! I'm surprised Polk made that comment...

You may want to go to the polk forum and ask there.. probably get stronger feedback.

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    With bi-wiring you are still using the passive crossover in the speaker. Bi-amping uses a crossover before the amplifiers (i.e. you need multiple amps) and will only send the specific audio range to the appropriate driver. You may want to replace the jumper plates with a short (3-4") piece of wire.

Personally, I feel that bi-wiring is a very small improvement (if any at all). If you are running decent gauge wire (12 or 14) then I wouldn't worry about it (including the center channel). Use that money to buy some music/DVDs or make a meaningful upgrade (you've applied room treatments, right?)...