What's new

Which studio/company do you want to co-finance and distribute Bond 25?

• Warner Bros.

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • Sony Pictures

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • 20th Century Fox

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Universal Pictures

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Annapurna Pictures

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Apple

• Amazon

• Total voters
Real Name
Nate Spidgewood
Why are you waiting for one?
Because both the franchise and MGM need a new long-term distribution and co-production/financing partner in another studio after the Sony deal died off, plus WB is supposed to be the perfect company for MGM to continue working with.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Because both the franchise and MGM need a new long-term distribution and co-production/financing partner in another studio after the Sony deal died off.
Yeah but why is it that so important to you that you felt the need to start a petition??

Not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to understand your motives.

Real Name
Nate Spidgewood
Yeah but why is it that so important to you that you felt the need to start a petition??

Not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to understand your motives.
As I said before, I still think WB is supposed to be the perfect company for MGM to continue working with. That's why it's important.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'm a little confused here, Nate. In your petition you state that part of the reason WB is a perfect fit is because they own the pre-1986 MGM library. Since the Bond films have nothing to do with that catalog, I'm not sure what the relevance is?

Real Name
Nate Spidgewood
I'm a little confused here, Nate. In your petition you state that part of the reason WB is a perfect fit is because they own the pre-1986 MGM library. Since the Bond films have nothing to do with that catalog, I'm not sure what the relevance is?
It's also because MGM and WB have co-produced a chunk of movies since The Hobbit trilogy. They've co-produced movies like If I Stay, Hot Pursuit, Max, Creed, the third Barbershop movie, Me Before You, and Everything, Everything, for example, and they're releasing the new Tomb Raider film soon.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It's also because MGM and WB have co-produced a chunk of movies since The Hobbit trilogy. They've co-produced movies like If I Stay, Hot Pursuit, Max, Creed, the third Barbershop movie, Me Before You, and Everything, Everything, for example, and they're releasing the new Tomb Raider film soon.
But what’s the relevance in relation to Bond?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I can't imagine any. Eon Productions Ltd has full control over the Bond production - whoever distributes the finished film will have no creative input whatsoever in the production of the actual film.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I would approve of Danny Boyle doing this. But, he has been linked to development Miss Saigon for a while, so this seems to indicate that nothing is happening with that project for now, if he is available to direct Bond.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I thought for sure when I saw those pictures that this was just a sub-par Daniel Craig lookalike. My god.

That's terrible.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That's unfortunate.

While it makes sense for Boyle to be developing the story for something he's eyeing to direct, what happens to the Purvis and Wade script if they go with Boyle's? I do not believe that Daniel Craig is signed for more than one film at a time at this point, and given his long uncertainty about committing to do this on, I would be very surprised if he also signed for Bond 26.

Purvis and Wade have been writing Bond for a long time, including during Brsnan's tenure before Craig came aboard. However, Craig's Bond has developed a very specific tone that couldn't really be duplicated with another actor. So, if this is Craig's final Bond film and they use the script Boyle and Hodge are working on, then we'll probably never see what Purvis and Wade have come up with, since it wouldn't really be possible to repurpose the "other" Bond 25 script for Bond 26 with a new actor. As happened also when Craig took over the role from Brosnan, the series will have to go a "soft reboot" of sorts where the tone shifts in order to accommodate what the next actor does with the role. Asking the next actor to make an imitation Craig Bond film would be a mistake. He will need to be able to put his own stamp on it.

And yet I'm curious what both teams have cooked up for their Bond 25 scripts. The best of all possible worlds would be for Craig to do two more, the Boyle/Hodges version and the Purvis/Wade version after that. But is he going to want to do that? Probably not.

It's jut unfortunate to think that Purvis and Wade's script will get buried if they like the Boyle/Hodges version. While I understand and support the value of Boyle developing something for himself to direct, that doesn't seem like a great way to treat the writers who have basically been the in-house Bond scribes for a couple decades now.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The Purvis/Wade writing has been an Achilles heel for Bond. No matter how much the films progress in casting, in stuntwork, design and performance, they're held back by the juvenile and often nonsensical writing that those two gentlemen frequently offer. And the producers appear to be addicted to them. The Bond films would be greatly improved if someone else was writing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks