What's new

Which studio/company do you want to co-finance and distribute Bond 25?

• Warner Bros.

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • Sony Pictures

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • 20th Century Fox

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Universal Pictures

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Annapurna Pictures

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Apple

• Amazon

• Total voters
Real Name
Nate Spidgewood
the
I haven't seen anything saying that the partnership with Annapurna has to be exclusive, so yes, I think that MGM would be able to take Bond elsewhere if they chose. Creed remains unclear. As this announcement yesterday was the first mention ever of a release date for Creed 2, and it was buried in the announcement of the new venture, I would think there will be a more formal release coming from WB and MGM about that soon.

It's also worth noting that Wednesday, November 21 is only a few days after the previous Friday, November 16 sees WB launch the Fantastic Beasts sequel. Whether they would want to release two films in that close proximity to each other is an open question (although there would not necessarily be a huge overlap in audience for those properties if they did -- some, of course, but those are clearly going to be marketed differently toward different audience segments anyway.)

Maybe you're right, I think the Annapurna/MGM joint venture should only cover self-financed movies and co-productions between the two, while other movies would be handled by the larger studios, mainly the ones that require co-financing.

Didn't MGM just expand their slate to almost fourteen to sixteen movies a year though?

Real Name
Nate Spidgewood
Deadline says it's going to be MGM and Annapuna's joint venture handling domestic:

http://deadline.com/2017/11/james-bond-domestic-release-deal-mgm-annapurna-daniel-craig-1202205255/

Man, I was expecting WB to handle all theatrical distribution and marketing; I wish this joint venture doesn't kill off MGM's other partnerships because I thought those partnerships were supposed to keep them afloat. Would the domestic release of Bond 25 be a joint co-release between MGM/Annapurna and the bidding studio partner, especially WB if they win the international distribution rights and decide to expand their involvement with the worldwide distribution? I heard that the domestic release of Creed 2 might be a co-release between WB and MGM/Annapurna, plus Annapurna jointly handled a US release of one of their movies with Amazon.

I thought WB was supposed to get worldwide distribution rights, but I’m still rooting for them.

Real Name
Nate Spidgewood
No one has told me whether MGM and Annapurna's new distribution joint venture would overshadow MGM's partnerships with other studios, whether the domestic releases of Bond 25 and Creed 2 might turn into joint releases between the MGM/Annapurna venture and one of MGM's studio partners, whether MGM would still collaborate with the larger movie studios or not, and whether the company expanded their movie slate to fourteen to sixteen films a year or not. I still need answers.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Didn't Sony put up a ton of $ for spectre 's budget?
Who is paying for bond 25's budget?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Sony agreement:

When Sony Pictures Entertainmentrenegotiated with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer the deal to co-finance the Bondfranchise in 2011, they were tasked to provide 25 percent of the negative costof both Skyfall and Spectre, in exchange to receiving 25 percent of the profits plus distribution fees for overseeing its worldwide rollout. When the film was announced in June 2013, the budget was not yet fixed, but was certain to be higher than the $210 million of Skyfall due to foreign locations and bigger payments for Mendes and Craig.[34]

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
More Sony...
Will this upstart distributor have this kind of funds????

Sony paid 50 percent of the production costs for the film — which totalled some $250 million after accounting for government incentives — but received only 25 percent of certain profits, once costs were recouped. The studio also spent tens of millions of dollars in marketing and had to give MGM a piece of the profit from the studio's non-Bond films, including 22 Jump Street.[143]

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I still need answers.

I think no one has told you anything because we don't know either. This is all very new. Specifics about how this will all work may not be ironed out yet and even if those things are known to the companies involved, they may have reasons for not making that information public yet. I certainly don't know any more than you do.

That being said, it sounds to me like this is MGM viewing themselves as the domestic distributor, via an apparatus they happen to share with Annapurna. I would also think that if they are capable of self-distributing, they would certainly rather do that and rely less on other studios.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It is going through the normal development process, which is generally not made available for public consumption. At the appropriate time, those details will be released.

Real Name
Nate Spidgewood
It is going through the normal development process, which is generally not made available for public consumption. At the appropriate time, those details will be released.
I'm still surprised EON and MGM hasn't finalized a deal with WB yet, especially after the latter moved Wonder Woman 2 to the same week as Bond 25's release, and that their parent company is having issues related to its merger with AT&T after it's being blocked by the U.S. Justice Department.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I don’t get why you started a petition. For what? The film is definitely coming out next year (which someone else had to tell you).

Seriously. What are you petitioning??

Real Name
Nate Spidgewood
I don’t get why you started a petition. For what? The film is definitely coming out next year (which someone else had to tell you).

Seriously. What are you petitioning??

Because like I said, I've gotten bored of waiting for a distribution/co-production deal to be signed, so I'm petitioning for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks