What's new

What happened to the Yamaha RX-V800? (1 Viewer)

HiHoStevo

Agent
Real Name
Steve
The RX-V800 was one of Yamaha's relatively new units. It along with the 1200 model have Dolby Pro Logic II. Many of the units they are still selling do not have this function, but the 800 has been dropped.

Does anyone know why Yamaha dumped the 800?

Thanks,

Steve

HiHoStevo

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Matt... a couple of weeks ago when I was considering the RX-V800 I went to the Yamaha web site for a review... they had a comparison engine where I was able to look at the 620, 800, 1000, 1200, spec's all at the same time.

According to that table the 800 & 1200 had DPL2 and the 620 and 1000 did not.

I am not an expert, but I was told by the most senior person at my local Ultimate Electronics that the 800 had DPL2 and the Yamaha web site confirmed that a couple of weeks ago.... unfortunately the 800 is no longer listed on the Yamaha site (at least that I can find) so I cannot give you a reference.

Steve

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry the post just ahead of my other post to this thread was probably in progress as I posted mine.

HiHoStevo

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for the help folks.......... I don't know where I went off the track... I swear that was what the comparison showed....... and I know that was what the store manager had to say........, but I will not argue with you guys!!

That is one of the great things about this place is learning and finding correct answers.

Bye the way...... why I was interested in the 800 was to replace my aging RXV2090. I have discovered that when my 2090 was built it was "supposed" to be a Home Theater receiver, but it is really more of a very expensive (for the time) stereo receiver. After using AVIA to set up the system I was never really happy with the sound. I have a closed theater room but the rears and center channel sounded "weak!" I used the Db meter from Radio Shack to set up with AVIA, but I have now learned something I did not know...... AVIA uses a fixed frequency signal to setup the sound balance...., but when you watch a DVD you get a very wide frequency mix. The fronts on the Yamaha output 100 watts, but the rears and center only get 35 watts. In addition the frequency response of the center and rear's is very limited. So when you try to watch a DVD with the AVIA settings, the center and rear's are unable to match the response or the output of the front channels.... long story I know.

However, this is why I was looking at the 800. The newer recievers provide a much more balanced output to all the speakers, making for a more immersive and enjoyable presentation.

So know I just have to keep trying to figure out what to replace the 2090 with..... I like Denon, but my DishNetwork remotes will not function with Denon receivers for some silly reason.

thanks for the assistance, and I will be staying in touch to figure out the correct replacement for my HT!

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks