What's new

What happened to the DTS track on The Others!!! (1 Viewer)

Brett C

Second Unit
Just read the review over at DVDFILE for this disc and the previously announced DTS track is not on the disc...This is very annoying. I'm just glad now that I bought the region 3 DVD!!!

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
Have you played the R3 DVD? It's one of the worst I've seen in a long time. There are so many artifacts it looks like a VCD, and the DTS sound is full of distortions. It's cheap, yes, but the R1 can only be better.

Brett C

Second Unit
Considering it was replicated on a DVD5 with DTS and DD, I think its not a bad effort.The lack of 16/9 is its biggest shortfall.But I would hardly say it looks like a vcd and I didn't notice anything wrong with the DTS, with the exception that it makes the Dolby track look like a sorry*** substitute IMO . For the reason that the disc isn't 16/9 thats why I was sweating on the region 1 having the DTS track and there is simply no reason why it couldn't be included. I don't buy the space issue on discs anymore for the lack of a DTS track.Just look at something like the UK disc of Enemy At The Gates it has a (FULL) bitrate DTS track, an audio commentary,a 448 DD track and loads of extras,including 3 documentarys,deleted scenes,trailers etc and its a Pal disc which takes more room to begin with and all this is on a dual layer and it blows away the region 1 release in every department!!! So everytime I hear the excuse that its a space issue that results in the lack of a DTS track ,it makes my ears bleed!!! :angry:

David Ruiz

Second Unit
I really hope you're just kidding about the DTS track being removed, because I *JUST* pre-ordered this DVD last week, but I *WILL* cancel the order if it doesn't have DTS on it!!! :angry:

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
They want to give priority to the transfer, which deserves to be the best considering the style used in the picture.

But, the supplements sound absolutely terrible!!!!!!!!

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I really hope you're just kidding about the DTS track being removed, because I *JUST* pre-ordered this DVD last week, but I *WILL* cancel the order if it doesn't have DTS on it!!!
Are you being sarcastic?

Is the DTS mis sufficiently different to the DD to make this omission a really big deal? I don't remember the sound mix I heard in the theater being particularly special at all. Why does this really matter. Needless to say I don't plan on cancelling my pre-order, and am earerly-awaiting this movie again, with, or without DTS.

HenrikTull

Second Unit
How can any of you know that a DTS track would sound any better than the DD track we're offered. If anything, it could quite possibly sound worse.

It's all in the mix, which most of you haven't even heard...

Daniel Schenk

Stunt Coordinator
I do support DTS but i`m sure that the DD is good enough for The Others. It is a quiet movie and i`m sure if there would be a difference between DTS and DD you would need State of the Art HT Equipment to even be able recognizing hearing the difference.

And i do prefer 16x9 Widescreen over a DTS track.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Considering it was replicated on a DVD5 with DTS and DD, I think its not a bad effort.
They stuck an almost 2 hour movie on a single layer DVD with DTS and DD tracks?! It can't help but look and sound terrible. Although I do think this is a film which might benefit from a DTS track, I'm hardly going to get my panties in a bunch over it. The DD track should be fine.

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, they did just that. As a result, the film looks terrible (a LOT of pixelation due to bad encoding), and as I said the DTS track sounds terrible.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
The DTS track sounded great to me, I've watched this disc 3 times and have not once noticed any distortion in it. Even though it is a quiet film I still think it benefits in terms of overall fidelity. As for the video, I only really noticed pixelation in a couple of instances during the beginning, other than that, I thought the video transfer was fine (besides not being 16:9)... I won't be getting the r1 as I'm sick of wasting my money on multiple copies of films.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Oh, and by the way:

They stuck an almost 2 hour movie on a single layer DVD with DTS and DD tracks?! It can't help but look and sound terrible.
1. The movie goes for 105 minutes, not 2 hours.

2. It may be a DVD-5, but I've checked the video bitrate using VOBrator DTS and it is at 9mbps, showing that space is clearly not an issue, just some sloppy encoding during those certain scenes.

3.The DTS track is at 754kbps, but I must mention that space concerns won't effect the quality of the audio, except for the fact that if it had been a DVD-9, it would've fit a full bitrate track.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
1. The movie goes for 105 minutes, not 2 hours.
So, it's 1hr 45 mins. I can't see how you could fit a film of this length, with even half-bit rate DTS and DD tracks, on a DVD-5 without seriously compromising the picture quality, regardless of how high the transfer rate is. Perhaps this is why the DVD is non-anamorphic (completely inexcusable in itself). Do the companies who put out these DVDs not have access to facilities which enable them to manufacture DVD-9s? I've seen 90 minute films with only a DD track and few extras which are dual layer. There was absolutely no need to sacrifice quality on this DVD. This is 2002 not 1997. It's not like DVD-9 replicating plants are hard to come by (or at least shouldn't be in economically prosperous Hong Kong).

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Universe Video & Laser Company Limited usually uses a DVD-9 for their dts releases.

Their release of Spy Game has dts, Dolby Digital, and stereo English on a DVD-9 with anamorphic widescreen.

The Others only has dts & Dolby Digital English soundtracks with a letterbox widescreen transfer.

Also, unlike other Universe Video & Laser Co. Ltd. releases, The Others has no supplementary materials. The trailer is not included nor are any other trailers included.

You can find trailers on other Universe Video * Laser Co. Ltd. releases like The Driven, Angel Eyes, and Spy Game.

Mick Wright

Second Unit
My two cents...

R3 release has a terrible transfer, I'll gladly upgrade, even if the R1 has only DD. Both 5.1 mixes on the R3 dvd are incredible, and the film has one of the best sound designs I've ever heard (terrifying is the word that comes to mind). The R1 should be more than adequate (the extras do sound like crap though).

Oscar

Second Unit
Thats a shame.Because the DTS track i heard on theaters sounds completely awesome, and i felt in the middle of the film. And by the way, remember many times demo discs for DVD reviewers do not have some stuff.
And there might be a DTS track on the version us customers and HTphiles are going to buy on May.
But i saw the movie 2 times one in DTS and one in Dolby.
The DTS blew the DD totally out of the water.
Real shame on Dimension films for not including a DTS track.
Considering that the first disc IS JUST THE MOVIE!!!!!.
And according to Peter M.Bracke on www.dvdfile.com the extras are pretty good.
For me they dont sound like crap.

HenrikTull

Second Unit
The DTS blew the DD totally out of the water.
Real shame on Dimension films for not including a DTS track.
Okay, let's be clear about something. A DTS track in a theater and one on DVD is absolutely 2 different animals.
If Dimension was to include a DTS track on The Others, I can almost guarantee you that it would come from the same master as the Dolby track, and therefore much of the point of including a DTS is lost (with a few exceptions I suppose). Fidelity and clearity MIGHT be a little bit better, but the difference wouldn't be night and day.
Since none of us has heard the DD track yet, I hope we all can hold on passing judgement on the DD track. And if it indeed sucks, THEN we'll put up a fight. :)
However, I feel confidant that no one will be dissapointed with what we're offered.

Oscar

Second Unit
Thats right, but lets consider that some DTS Vs. DD differences are like night and day, like lets say, umm.

Well U-571, The Fast and the Furious, and A.I.

And well its a real shame also that DTS tracks are no longer 1509 dbs.

And in the theater they pump up the volume to a level of 7, out of 10.

Pretty much in a receiver which has from zero to 31.

That is like 26 or 27 or 28.

Yet i will also buy The Others, it was one of my favorite films of last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks