What's new

WHAT happened to the "Amadeus" re-release? (1 Viewer)

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Does anybody know what happened, politically, financially, whatever, to the theatrical re-release of "Amadeus"?

I waited anxiously for about two months after the announcement of a mid April release date, then waited for another six weeks for it to show up in Minneapolis. When it did arrive (with zero publicity), it was shown at a "backwater" theater with extremely limited show times.

We have a thriving "art house" cinema district, and they never touched the film. Meanwhile, "Amalie" (no doubt, a fine film) was in its 5th or 6th month. Surely "Amadeus" would have drawn AT LEAST as many ticket sales as "Amalie" in its 6th month.

Anybody know the particulars surrounding this complete non event? SOMEBODY went to a lot of trouble to restore and create the director's cut of the film. There must be a story here.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I know it was playing in L.A., but I don't think it really did all that well. It was a very limited reissue.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
It played at a single theater here for a week, with very little fanfare. Doesn't make sense, since Chicago has several so-called "artsy fartsy" theaters, including several multiplexes devoted solely to art house films. Since I was out of town when it was here, I missed my opportunity to see it. :angry:

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
The director's cut so far has made close to $400,000. Not too many people these days would sit through a 3-hour film that has previously been released (even with new scenes). It is a very good film though.

~Edwin

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Came and went in a couple of weeks here in Cambridge (didn't play across the river in Boston proper). I don't think WB spent too much to market it, not that I blame them. Getting people to comes see a movie that's been available for home viewing for years is a tough sell.

Adnan Sheikh

Stunt Coordinator
Played for a week or two at the Senator in Baltimore. Then the Last Waltz took over until Episode 2 showed up. I wanted to see it, tried making plans...but didn't.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all the input, guys. I can't help but compare the poor handling of this re-release, to "Apocalypse Now, Redux". There were write-ups everywhere, and a line that stretched around the block of the theater for the first week. Both films being "somewhat eclectic", I would have expected more enthusiasm, given a limited showing, from the new cut of "Amadeus". Both films were firmly in my sights, anyway. Perhaps I guessed all wrong.

Oh well... now I wait for the DVD. Anybody heard release date rumors?

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
It hasn't made it's way to Philly yet either, and I really want to see it.

Neil

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
David
The dvd will be released on sep 24 at the following link
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...552501-9610218
I just saw the film at my local cineplex here in Glasgow and was so surprised. I had not seen the film before, so no expectations whatsoever. I thoroughly enjoyed it and as soon as Amadeus starts, you really get to dislike Salieri so much even to the extent of revulsion at his contempt of Mozart. F Murray Abrahams is simply breathtaking to watch, Tom Hulce as Wolfie is great as well.
Imo the best part is played by Jeffrey Jones as the emperor.
Cannot wait for the DVD to come out and listen to the commentary of Forman and Schaffer. I also thought that towards the end of the movie, there were striking similarities with One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
David, I'm pretty sure it came to the arthouse theater in Columbia Heights, at least for a week or two.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Still no Philly date.

I seriously think that promoters always think "Well the Philly people can go to DC or NYC if they want to see it"

Pisses me off to no end, if we don't get Lawrence of Arabia I WILL kill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks