What happened to Potter Mania?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoffrey_A, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Geoffrey_A

Geoffrey_A Second Unit

Has anyone else noticed that after the initial release of Harry Potter, there hasn't been a whole lot of press or advertising for the film? Certainly it's been doing very well for the past three weeks, but I really expected to be hearing more about it. I remember Titanic constantly in the news during its mamoth run. Of course, I've found that I haven't really given the film much thought since I saw it. As much as I love the books, the movie just doesn't inspire me at all. That's not to say that it's bad of course, it was a remarkably faithfull adaption (poor editing aside) and I would have gladly sat through another half hour for them to flesh it out. That said though, I had no desire to see the movie a second time, nor have I given it much thought since. By the next day I had pretty much forgoten the film. I sure hope that doesn't happen with Fellowship of the Ring.

So, what do you all think will happen to Harry Potter when FOTR is released? Do you expect the movie to continue to go strong? Or, having now seen the film, do you expect it's business to drop sharply?

I'm leaning towards the latter myself. So far, every review I've come across for FOTR has been glowing, and given my current indifference to the HP flick, I just don't see it keeping up when FOTR comes out. Not unless they pull some clever marketting like Monsters Inc. did. Now that was one supremely marketed film. That brilliant trailer that ran with Harry Potter, the addition of outtakes after the first month of release. The marketing dept. behind MI ought to be really proud of themselves, they turned a potential movie killer in HP into an opportunity to boost their own sales.

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I never really took THAT much notice of 'Pottermania' in the run-up to release. However it seems that FOTR is getting some pretty superb reviews. I don't remember reading that about Harry, at least not to the same degree.

3. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

Of course it's fading. The movie is in it's 4th week of release. Naturally, its press and advertising will dwindle. Does one expect toy companies to continue their current level of advertising in January?

I also don't expect LOTR (or any other movie for that matter) to live or die at the box office on the basis of what critics say about it. There have enough critically lauded flops and universally panned blockbusters to throw that theory out the window. I recently overheard a teenage girl on a bus telling her friend that she is going to see LOTR because Elijah Wood "looks cute in the commercial." These random types of things will determine LOTR's box office fate as much as anything the critics have to say.

4. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Don't worry, these things come in cycles. Potter has made $225M so far after only three weeks in release but its box office take is dropping fast with a 36% and 59% depreciation during its second and third weekend outings, respectively.
    It is looking to settle around $300M domestically. While this is impressive it also points towards the lack of repeat viewing for the film, which is attributable to the film itself. The next Potter Mania will happen upon the release of the fifth book.
    As far as LOTR, this one might be a bettter film than Potter itself. We'll see.
    ~Edwin

5. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Its been replaced by Ringomania, no not the ex-Beatle, oh forget it.
    Erm how about Frodomania?
    Ok Gollummania?[​IMG]
    POSTED BY STEVE MY PRECIOUSSSS.

6. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

7. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

8. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Perhaps it didn't get the word of mouth blessings the studio wanted.

This has been going on a lot lately-- the movie gets boat loads of money from inflated ticket prices and the fact that studios front-load films into theaters because their biggest cut comes in the first few weeks. They now exploit this by putting out hugely expensive pieces of crap that took their marketing departments all of a few days to come up with a script or outline. P.R. campaigns entice people to run out and see it. Okay, now they've experienced the movie and see it for what it is, and then tell their friends and neighbors that it was indeed crap.

The movie now has no legs, but still raked in huge profits.

Time and time and time and time again (especially evident this year) this has been the trend. Big opening numbers, then the second or third week it plummets 40-50%, then by the third or fourth week it's down 60-70% and then gets dumped into the $2 houses, then video (where the bulk of the profits come from-- since it doesn't cost that much more to transfer and package the film onto DVD and VHS to be slurped up by the masses since it has a killer soundtrack or neat supplements, nevermind the poor script).

Dan

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Leave it to our buddy, Steve Christou. ... [​IMG]
    Edwin touches on the big-opening-week syndrome that threatens to topple the studio-system economy--note how most films simply don't have legs. Something is going to have to give, but that, of course, is another thread. (Why don't you start that thread, Edwin--it would make for a superb discussion.)

10. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Most of the people I know have seen it, either for themselves or through taking kids. No-one has been overly impressed with them film enough to want to see it again.

11. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

"No-one has been overly impressed with them film enough to want to see it again."
    'cept me. [​IMG]

12. andrew markworthy

Jason, with the honourable exception of your good self, I think what Rob's said is right. Everyone I know comes who has seen it comes out with 'it's alright, you should see it if you like the books' or something similar. But nobody who has seen it once is desperate to see it again.

13. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

This is definitely true. When I saw it few days ago, I said to myself that I don’t want to see it again in a theater and that’s due to the weak work of the director. We never feel the magic or anything during the movie and that’s why people are not going to see it a second time. The big box-office records that HP broke are all interested people seeing it for the first time. Just imagine what would have happened if those record breaking people wanted to see it for a second time!

14. Jack Briggs

Which makes it all the more urgent that someone start a thread about the big-opening-weekend-or-else mindset that is prevailing in the industry. ...

15. Jack Briggs

And I take back the comment. Turns out there is a thread about this very subject happening right now.

16. Geoffrey_A

Geoffrey_A Second Unit

What I found interesting was that pretty much all Harry potter news and advertising ceased after opening weekend. I never even saw the standard "The number one film in Canada/The US is Harry Potter" type commercials that seem to be common place these days. I don't know what HP's final take will be, though something inside me says 300 million is over estimating it a bit. Then again, if they keep it in the theaters long enough it will eventually make it there. I could be wrong of course, I'll have to wait and see this weeks numbers before making that call.
    I wonder if all those teenage girls going for the "Elijah is cute" factor willend up enjoying the movie and telling their friends about it. Probably just wishfull thinking on my part, hoping FOTR pulls a 'titanic' in sales and staying power [​IMG]

17. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Jack, yes, there is already a thread on the subject you raised.

Potter dropped another 40% on Friday compared to last Friday. It sure is going down very fast. I haven't revised my models yet but it looks like it would now have a hard time even getting close to the $300M mark.

~Edwin

18. andrew markworthy

I still think that Monsters Inc will outdo HP on a worldwide scale. Far more appeal cross-culturally and much greater chance of repeat viewings.

19. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

The problem with Potter is that it doesn't have the legs because it's not quite good enough.

A very strong, appealing film that lacks the extra burst of life that grabs all of society, even if it is for different reasons for different people.

Also, it's just not as well-made as it could have been. I mean it looks good and it's interesting stuff to watch, but it's not quite the gripping cinema that it could have been.

Still, while it may have wobbily legs, they are stronger than Hannibal's legs or Tomb Raider's legs.

Also, regarding hype. The FOTR campaign became full-on just after the Potter release (basically the day after Thanksgiving, I noticed). It's an across the board assult that will be taking up all the press junket outlets and drawing story attention away from Potter.

Had Potter lived up to the hype rather than just being good then I'm sure it would still be fighting it's way to some news time.

Finally, early screenings of FOTR have started to hit, and the raves have followed. That is affecting entertainment news because they are going to jump on the "hot" story, which in this case means following one of the big releases that appears to be about to back up it's hype (I realize that it might not, time will tell of course). What I mean is that with early strong reviews and the money put into the film and fanboy hype, news agencies are sniffing a BIG story and will cover it even more than the press junket would normally create.

Have any of the stars done the Leno, Letterman, Daily Show, Conan circle yet?

20. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Well, the only Potterite I know at work seemed to indicate she would be a repeat viewer. She saw it opening weekend, and has kept finding excuses not to have seen it again. I don't press, I just ask if she went back, and she says "no...[fill in excuse] took up last weekend..."

She did say that she liked the movie, but I really had thought she would have seen it 3-4 times by now, judging by the way she was so excited a month or so ago.

I tried to read HP when I visited my parents for TurkeyDay. Nothing like 4 days of nothing to do, so I picked up my younger sister's first HP book. Could not get into it at all, for reasons I won't go into. And no, I don't have a problem reading books written at/for children. Not only do I love the Hobbit, but my best friend is an illustrator for childrens books and I read stuff for her all of the time.