What happened to OLN on Dish Network?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by larry mac, Oct 31, 2005.

1. larry mac

larry mac Stunt Coordinator

For awhile we got a message basically saying OLN was trying to rip us off with higher fees and now there's OTD channel.

Anyone know the story?

2. dailW

dailW Stunt Coordinator

yeah. OLN got the rights for hockey and wanted an increase for their channel and dish said goodbye.it would be just if hockey did good numbers. but in its first week being back from the strike, in L.A. it got a 0.0 rating

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Anybody know if it is going to come back.. As if Hockey is really outside!

More info on the OLN thing:

http://www.dbsforums.com/vbulletin/s...threadid=46157

The only reason I got Dish Network was for OLN a few years ago and that was only to watch the tour de france, the giro d'Italia and the Vuelta. Now OLN really sucks for cycling coverage and all they do now is Bull Riding and Survivor reruns [​IMG] And now Hockey, which isn't even outside.

Jay

4. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Dish Network always seems to have problems negotiating with networks. Its one of the reasons I left Dish for Direct.

5. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

This reminds me to call back Verizon and get FIOS TV. Time to drop Dish as now I only get hockey when the Stars are playing. [​IMG]

6. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

We produce quite a few shows for OLN, yes even some of those bull riding shows [​IMG], and we were just told that OLN will start to only accept shows produced in HD. Not sure how that is going to fare for the low budget shows, like those hunting and fishing programs. Hell is Survivor even being shot in HD yet? I'm guessing a lot of these shows will be produced in HDV.

I just know that a few of the producers I work with are upset with OLN for reducing their potential audience which makes it that much harder to get sponsers for these shows.

I mentioned the Hockey deal to them and no one knew about it.

7. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Which is why they now call the channel OLN - trying to get away from the whole Outdoor Life part of the network. Just like when Game Show Network changed the network's name to GSN when they started showing less game shows.

And, Jason, no Survivor is not in HD.

8. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I don't know what NHL was thinking giving OLN this contract.

In my area, Comcast dominates, but Wide Open West is gaining market share. I have my cable service with WOW, and they're great. But they don't get OLN, which I'm guessing has something to do with OLN being Comcast owned.

HD.net thankfully shows a couple games a week, but for some reason the Wings-Hawks game they had scheduled last Thursday was not aired. Might have something to do with it being the hometown team, even though they were away.

I really wanted to give the NHL a second chance after their ridiculously long and futile absence, but it seems like all parties involved are trying their hardest to keep anyone from seeing games on cable.

End rant. [​IMG]

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thought I'd add that a few years ago, when I was looking at cable vrs satellite, our local cable (cablevision) didn't carry OLN which made it a very easy choice.

Now with DirectV carrying OLN, at a lower pricepoint too, I would be tempted to switch if not for me recently purchasing 2 E* receivers (508/501) used and the fact that as mentioned above, I find myself not watching OLN that much at all after they dropped coverage of the vuelta this year and probably wont cover the giro/vuelta next year either. Us cycling fans would probably be lucky if they carry the TdF next year, without Armstrong. [​IMG]

Jay

10. larry mac

larry mac Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info.

As this seems to be a Comcast plot, I say good riddance. I've had Comcast and it sucks IMHO.

Being a Texan, I've really enjoyed the Tour the last couple of years (although it's quite an ordeal and a marathon to watch the whole thing). It would certainly be imposible without a PVR. Now that Lance has retired, I don't know how much fun it's going to be anyway.

I don't watch anything else on OLN anyway, so I guess it's not too much of a loss.

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Larry, I would usually do is PVR the live coverage in the morning and typically watch that at night when I get home. The coverage is actually a little different from the live stages in the morning to the rebroadcasts at night. The only problem is the live broadcasts sometimes run over the time limit and the PVR isn't smart enough to know that, so I would always pad the timer event by 30-45 minutes.

With Lance retired, I think next year's tour will be better... The outcome isn't so guaranteed, there are a lot of young contenders out there, Ivan Basso, Leipheimer, perhaps Floyd Landis as an outside chance. Then there's the perenial second place Ullrich. Anyway, wrong thread...

I figure I'll give OLN/Comcast a chance to perhaps make ammends, I haven't read anywhere where this little squabble is permanent and if Dish can drop OLN on the drop of a hat, it can also reinstate it quickly too. Perhaps all you Hockey fans should go storm OLN's headquarters.. I think they broadcast out of CT???

Jay

12. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Dish said they are working to get OLN back into their programming. I made the switch to FIOS anyway as it was cheaper. At least now I don't have to pay for those outrageous $5/month per receiver for not having a phoneline.