What happened to National Geo. complete on 4 DVD-ROM?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Nicholls, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    One of the greatest benefits of DVD-ROM technology is the availability of the complete set of 110 years worth of National Geographic magazine on just 4 DVD-ROMs. Yes you can get a comparable set on CD-ROM but it takes over 30 disks to do so.
    I purchased the set about a year ago. Now I went to order a set for my brother and found it appears to be OOP. What gives? The CD-ROM set is still in print, why not the much more handy DVD-ROM set? Does anyone have a source for copies? The www.nationalgeographic.com site no longer lists it. And www.dvdpricesearch.com has an entry but says no stores stock it.
    ------------------
    Feline audience members Katie, Susie, and the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin

2. Matt Perkins

Matt Perkins Stunt Coordinator

National Geographic ran into publication trouble with some of its photographers, who owned the copyrights in their photographs. Apparently, the magazine didn't offer to compensate them for using their photos. Hence, item has been pulled.
    Frankly, I'm a little startled to learn that the CD-ROM version is still in print ... ?

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    In print...and being dumped. I believe I saw the CD set for around $30 at Fry's.
    - Steve

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Steve, any of those left? Curse this non-Frys area
    Next time I go to CA, I'm going to a Frys damnit [​IMG]
    Jeff Kleist

5. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

What Matt says may be the case, but to add to that, Ive heard that WARNER BROS recently took over distribution of the NG series....they may have other big plans.
    I am currently awaiting my 4 disc AFRICA set...
    ------------------

6. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I think the Warner interests are in the television special videos. The DVD-ROM that we are speaking of is of the actual magazines.
    I have not been to Fry's in the last couple of weeks, so I don't know how many of these CD sets they have left. And I could be wrong about the price...it may have been $40. (Still a fraction of the original cost.)
    - Steve

7. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Thanks for the heads up, I've always need an excuse to buy this. There are four left on Ebay with 'Buy It Now' at $45.

8. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    The Learning Company http://www.learningco.com (part of Broderbund) was the distributor of this CD set. I don't see them on their site any longer. I purchased the set earlier this year and hoped to buy the yearly updates but missed the opportunity.
    This was a great concept but it was a matter of pulling teeth to get them to admit that the quality of the photographs were compromised for disc space purposes. Most are pixilated which ruins the ideal of National Geographic's reputation for photographic excellence. I am sure this was a major factor as well as to why they didn't take off on the market.