What's new

What Happened to Natalie Wood? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Something we'll never know. I remember back when this happened, early college years. She was such a beautiful woman. Yet none of the "forensic" evidence, etc. we've become so used to now proved anything.

The story keeps showing up occasionally, but nothing changes. It has always been a "media" speculation story. Were Robert Wagner, Christopher Walken, etc. involved. Typical supermarket tabloids trying to sell more issues in the check-out line. :eek::eek: Yet a certain group of society keeps those rags going.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Maybe they found a dolphin eyewitness. Dolphins are pretty smart, you know? ;)
Alpha tell Beta to find Natalie ...
dayofdolphin1973_ff_188x141_020920071208.jpg

Stan

Senior HTF Member
The LA Times published a somewhat more detailed story a day before Time mag.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-natalie-wood-robert-wagner-20180201-story.html

I've always found this part of the story kind of strange. How can people not swim? I've been swimming since I was born, sort of like walking, it's just natural.
-------------
The 43-year-old star of "West Side Story," who couldn't swim, was boating off the island during Thanksgiving weekend 1981 with her husband, Robert Wagner.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I've always found this part of the story kind of strange. How can people not swim? I've been swimming since I was born, sort of like walking, it's just natural.
-------------
The 43-year-old star of "West Side Story," who couldn't swim, was boating off the island during Thanksgiving weekend 1981 with her husband, Robert Wagner.

Ask Matthew Broderick's character (David) in Wargames. He couldn't swim either...

"I never got around to it, okay? I always thought there was gonna be plenty of time!"

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Ask Matthew Broderick's character (David) in Wargames. He couldn't swim either...

"I never got around to it, okay? I always thought there was gonna be plenty of time!"
OMG, never realized that, And I've probably seen that film 20 times over the years. Weird how certain details just pass you by, don't even register with your brain :rolleyes:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
-------------
I've been swimming as long as I can remember - caught my swimming instructors off guard when 5 and was asked to swim from one side of the pool to the other and I did it underwater.

My wife can't swim a lick. She stays in the shallow end with floaties and won't even try. I made sure my kids and grandkids can swim.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Some people are afraid to learn to swim. A lot of people are. I admit being afraid until I married a former lifeguard. Now I can't imagine not having the gift of jumping into cool water on a hot summer's day. Plus, in a pool, I can walk like anybody else. I can carry my wife in my arms all the way across the pool. That's something worth writin' home about. :)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I've been swimming as long as I can remember - caught my swimming instructors off guard when 5 and was asked to swim from one side of the pool to the other and I did it underwater.

My wife can't swim a lick. She stays in the shallow end with floaties and won't even try. I made sure my kids and grandkids can swim.

Had a friend who drowned years ago. Had some mental issues, thought he saw somebody he knew. Jumped into the river that runs through Spokane to try and swim across it. High water levels and very cold. Not a good ending.

I've been swimming in the river off and on for years. Certain areas are safe, others will kill you. :(

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I grew up in a house with an in-ground pool, and I still swim in the ocean every now and then. If the tide is too strong, I don't go in. I still can remember my parents arguing at some beach in North Carolina — which one escapes me at the moment — when we were on vacation when I was 11. Right now, I'm most concerned about chemicals in the ocean, especially now that I live on the West Coast.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Since she was sat on underwater at around the age of 12, my wife has a very strong aversion to swimming pools or any bodies of water. Bathtubs and Jacuzzis are her limit.

A part of me has always resented the oaf who instilled that fear in her, as I feel that he robbed us of some potential fun times in the water. Of course, since my planter's wart and more recent toe fungal issues, I've become more reluctant to do any swimming myself. I do miss it, nevertheless!

As for Natalie Wood, I don't think the full truth will ever be known. Too much time has simply passed.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Natalie Wood's "mysterious" death is something I've been fascinated with over the years. I do not think it was something as straightforward as a simple accident, i.e. Natalie falling off the boat & drowning (due to being intoxicated & not being able to swim)....because I'm convinced someone else on the boat would have heard her struggling & checked on her (unless they were all also asleep/drunk). But, I don't think we'll ever know the truth at this point - it's been too long.

It's somewhat unsettling that the three main stars of the iconic Rebel Without a Cause (1954) all passed due to non-natural deaths. I.e., James Dean died of a car accident in the '50's; Sal Mineo was killed in a Hollywood mugging in the '70's; and, Natalie Wood drowned in the early '80's.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Some have such low body fat that they aren't buoyant and swimming is near impossible.
That was me in school. When they'd make you float or tread water for twenty consecutive minutes in gym class during middle school and high school, it was an absolute nightmare for me because I had to move like crazy just to stay afloat.

Six years sitting at a desk in front of a computer as a state worker have solved that particular problem, however.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks