what happened to my tv last night?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by allan espinoza, Feb 2, 2005.

1. allan espinoza

allan espinoza Stunt Coordinator

I have a sony 36kvhs420 and was watching a dvd last night when all of a sudden the screen went red??? there was still an image, but red was the only color on the screen as if all colors were off except red. Well, i thought that maybe one of the video inputs came loose or something, but everything was fine so then i turned to all channels and video inputs and they were all red. I even unplugged all the inputs and they were still red. I left it off for five minutes and thank god it went back to normal. Any idea what could of caused this? My tv is pretty new of about 3-4 months.

2. John S

John S Producer

Wowsers.. Gave a whole new meaning to Red Push huh? [​IMG]

I'd say your color decoder just wacked out or something, lets just hope it doesn't make a habbit out of it.

3. allan espinoza

allan espinoza Stunt Coordinator

^^^yea seriously, but I should I have it looked at or is it not that serious of a problem till it happens again?

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Questions.

Some of these you may not be able to answer until it happens again and you can experiment.

1. Did it go ALL red? If you punched up a menu, did the menu come up in shades of red only? Or did they have color?

That's the critical one that comes to mind.

If you answer YES, then it sounds (to me) like a cold-solder joint or something similar on the small circuit card on the back of the tube, or fairly close to it.

If you answer NO, then it's probably on the input card or somewhere near that, before you get to the menu keyer and the RGB seperation/drive board.

Second possibility for when it happens again: apply, judiciously, percussive maintenance. In plain English, a 'service whack.' Gently, but with enough behind it to be useful.

Should it 'fix' it, or even better, make the normal colors flicker, then yes, you definitely have a mechanical (as in, cold solder joint, hair-line crack on a board, et cetera) issue in the set.

Or, on the other hand, you may just want to go to the source, say it's unreliable, and that you want a new one before the warantee expires. This sort of intermittent problem can be insideous.

Leo Kerr