What happened to my Energy subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Feb 11, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I use an Energy e:XL-S10 10" subwoofer in the following stereo system:

NAD C 370 stereo integrated amp

Totem Arro floorstanding speakers

Energy Active Crossover (EAC)

The EAC allows me to connect the subwoofer to the integrated amp. Here is how I do it:

* pre-out 1 from C 370 to inputs on EAC (two RCA cables)

* outputs on EAC to main ins on C 370 (two RCA cables)

* sub output on EAC to XOVER INPUT on e:XL-S10 (one subwoofer cable)

I have the crossover on the EAC set to 60 Hz, as per the dealer's recommendation (I bought the EAC and the Totem Arros from the same dealer). This set-up has always worked, but it seems now that the subwoofer is dead. With everything plugged in, the green "active" light on the back of the subwoofer is not on. Ironically, if I unplug the subwoofer, the light will go on and then dim after about 10 seconds.

I also use the subwoofer in my home-theater system in the same room. In this system, I use a Sony STR-V444ES receiver. To make things simple, I have a subwoofer cable for each system. Thus, when I want to switch between systems, all I have to do is switch subwoofer cables in the back of the subwoofer. I always unplug the subwoofer before switching cables. However, on a couple of occasions, I did not wait long enough for the subwoofer to power down before switching cables, so I heard feedback. Could I have fried my subwoofer?

In listening to music where the subwoofer was active in the past, I hear nothing now. Any thoughts on what happened? Thanks in advance.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Testing...testing...1-2-3. Yep, this thing is on.

3. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I dont know anything about the workings of the energy crossover you describe, but have you double checked your 2 pair of analog cables just to be sure that something didnt happen to one of them? Also, try hooking the sub up directly to some other source. Play it at a low volume. Even though its full range it will give you an idea if something is really dead.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Charles, I had already tried the subwoofer in the home-theater system, and it seems to be dead. I called a local Energy dealer today and spoke to a very knowledgable salesman about this problem. He sold me the Energy crossover box and my Totem Arro speakers, so he is quite familiar with my stereo system. Not surprisingly, he said it sounds like I blew a fuse on the subwoofer, or the amp died completely. Either way, the subwoofer is under warranty. Energy products come with a five-year warranty, and I've had the subwoofer for only 22 months. So, I am going to bring the subwoofer into the store one day this week so they can determine what needs to be repaired. On the plus side, I don't think they will have to ship the subwoofer back to Energy. In the meantime, I will run my system for now without the subwoofer.

I still think that I may have fried the subwoofer at some point when I was switching cables to go from one system to the other. As I said in my previous post, I always unplugged the subwoofer and let it power down (or so I thought) before changing cables, but occasionally, I did hear feedback when changing cables or plugging the subwoofer back in. Maybe that killed it. It's too bad the subwoofer has no on/off switch. It would be nice to be able to turn it off in addition to unplugging it when changing cables or whatever.

The salesman gave me a good solution so that I don't have to switch cables once I get the subwoofer back. My Sony ES A/V receiver has excellent bass-management facilities, so I will use the "XOVER INPUT" on the subwoofer, which bypasses its crossover, for home theater. Then, I will use the subwoofer's second input with crossover and volume controls for the stereo system. I will still use the Energy crossover box to perform the filtering and, therefore, to send the low-frequency information to the subwoofer. The salesman told me that I will be O.K. in this configuration if I keep the crossover on the Energy crossover box and the subwoofer the same, which in my case will be 60 Hz. This should work well.