What happened to my 5 year ES warrenty?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Loiterman, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Mike Loiterman

Mike Loiterman Stunt Coordinator

While going through some paperwork, I pulled out the manual and paperwork for my XA777ES SACD player. I happened to glance down at the "Limited Warranty" sheet and notice that it said "3 year limited warranty" instead of the 5 year that I thought I was getting. This is, obviously, a Sony ES product. Isn't it supposed to be 5 years? I check J & R's website, where I purchased the unit, to confirm that it is 5 years on this piece. Sure enough it says 5 years. Whats going on here? I also noticed that the Warranty card is for Sony Canada. Did I get a gray market unit? This seems unlkely give J & R's reputation, but I'm a bit annoyed and worried about this. ANY insight would be greatly apprecaited. KeithH...where are you?!

2. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Call or e-mail your dealer and have them send you a copy of the US 5-yr warranty registration card (or you can register via the Sony website). The same happened to my TA-P9000 when I first got it but upon talking to my dealer they realized the US card wasn't placed inside the box as they supposed to so I got one from them by mail.

PF

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, it is very common for Sony ES components purchased in the US to come with Sony Canada three-year warranty cards. Every Sony ES component I have ever purchased, be it from OneCall, Oade Bros., J&R, or Tweeter have come with three-year warranty cards. I don't know why that it is, but it is. It doesn't bother me because I know that ES components are covered for five years in the US. Also note that to get a component repaired under the warranty, you do not need to present the warranty card. All you need is the dated receipt. The warranty card is only included to explain the terms and so that Sony can cover itself. Obviously, the three-year warranty card does not really serve the intended purpose for those of us in the US, but rest assured, you are covered for five years from the date of purchase.

4. Mike Loiterman

Mike Loiterman Stunt Coordinator

Thanks...I knew I could count on you Keith!

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

No problem, Mike, and thanks.

6. Brett Miles

Brett Miles Stunt Coordinator

I'll be damned! I just checked the paperwork for my DA5ES I've had for a few weeks (from J&R), and I also got the 3 year piece of paper. How did you know it was for Sony Canada? I don't see any mention on the warranty description paper or the yellow card you fill out and send in. Perhaps I'll just register online instead.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brett, the warranty card should say "Sony of Canada" or or something to that effect somewhere. Check again. In my experience, the registration card is generic.

8. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

My Sony SCD-1, although technically not an ES product, also came with a 3 year Canadian warranty. Have no fear, however, as the warranty for both players is 5 years in the U.S.

9. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

It's just the way us Canadians are working to absorb the US into Canada. First, the ES warrantee cards. Tomorrow, socialized health care!
    [​IMG]
    Martin.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Martin, is that why I find myself saying "eh" a lot these days? Plus, I have this uncontrollable urge to engage in curling. Should I be concerned? [​IMG]

11. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Candian warranties compared to US warranties must be like the conversion rate in the two currencies -- you know -- 3 Canadian years equals 5 US years. [​IMG]

12. Brett Miles

Brett Miles Stunt Coordinator

Maybe I'm blind, but I still don't see anything about Canada on my warranty sheet. In fact, one line says, "This warranty is valid only in the United States." [​IMG]

13. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Keith,

You should always be concerned if you have urges to go curling. I don't care where you're from!

Martin.

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Martin,
    Thanks. I need help! I need a football fix, American-style, of course! [​IMG]
    Brett,
    That's odd. I've never heard that one before. I know that Sony ES receivers come with a five-year warranty, but you should call Sony just to be sure.